Should I go for older model of LED TV?

Hi guys,

I am on the lookout for a good TV and I found a pretty good discount for a Samsung D8000 LED TV. But this model was launched in 2011 and I am wondering, does the year matter a lot? Feature wise I dont care much, but I want good picture and colors. Do the panels used in 2011 models and 2014 or 2015 models have a lot of difference?

Thanks in advance

The TV was a flagship, 1080p panel. No issues on pic quality & number of ports. It even has built-in wi-fi.

The current Series 8 will obviously have far better panels, but in turn will cost a bomb.

Are you sure you are getting a new piece? Or a shop demoed one that has been forgotten & gathered dust over the past 3 years? Many people burn their fingers when trying these too-good-to-be-true deals.

Thanks for your response. Yes, this is a brand new piece, no open box, refurb, etc. Luckily I am getting price match at Best Buy, so it is guaranteed to be a new piece.

I scratched out the 2011 model and have come down to two choices now - Samsung F9000 (55" 2013 model, UHD, 3D, built in camera, future proof with upgradeable hardware, etc) v/s Samsung H7150 (60" 2014 model, HD, 3D, highest rated 2014 model from Samsung). I dont care about 3D at all, but both come with it. I dont know if I should care about 4K/UHD, but I am getting it at same price. I like H7150 because it is a newer model, 60" and it looks amazing (thin bezel and all). But, on the other hand I have a 4K capable TV at the same price, albeit a bit smaller at 55". It doesnt have the ultra thin bezel, but it doesnt look bad.

Yeah, at that budget unfortunately you will end up with features like 3D which you may never want/need, but life's like that!

Forget 4k, there is not enough content. As on date it is more of a gimmick. SD and even 1080p content will have to be stretched on a 4k TV that will degrade the joy factor.

I doubt 7150 as the highest rated Sammy model. They always had a 8xxx series which comes higher. If you can, check them out with your own eyes - for a change "seeing is believing" :)

Back