OC & Modding Should I go for a 2nd CPU heatsink fan ?

alcy

Disciple
Although I am not continuing with my OC debacle anymore, I have probably got some traits from the OC club nevertheless. Anyway, I have got some cash & was thinking of getting the Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm 3000 rpm Fan for my CM Hyper 212 +.
I just want to know if this is a good investment, maybe lower the temps by 3-4 degrees ? The heatsink is placed horizontally(parallel to the pci-e card).

@salman8506: I got myself two Delta fans (AFB1212HHE). I used one of them in the push/pull config for the CPU heatsink...where the Delta fan pushes & the stock CM heatsink fan pulls. But I haven't noticed any temp change. Ok, there's a 1 degree decrement, but shouldn't I be getting a little more performance from that beast of a fan ?

Haven't tried out the Hyper 212 but im not certain as to how much it would benefit from a second fan, some coolers just don't.
Sadly, if you want more cooling performance, you'll probably have to get yourself a better cooler.

^ +1

You can probably stick with this cooler if you aren't goin to be OC'ing much .. however if you are looking for a significant improvement you ll have to get a new heat sink .

Amien said:
Haven't tried out the Hyper 212 but im not certain as to how much it would benefit from a second fan, some coolers just don't.
Sadly, if you want more cooling performance, you'll probably have to get yourself a better cooler.

That's what it seems like.

Thanks for the reply Amien & udayrulz.

@ alvy

deltas are suited for coolers with thicker fins, and less space between them. Thats where the extra static pressure, that delta offers come into play.

Such coolers are TRUE, Venomous X, Megahalems etc.

you shud be using a equal cfm pulling fan, but you can opt for a low static pressure fan to reduce noise, like the scythe SLip Stream 1900 rpm 110 cfm. It has 10 dB less than delta(AFB1212HHE).

Those fans will show their performance at extreme loads like I7 at 3.5ghz try that and tell me the difference and you will also need to exhaust the xtra heat out of the chasis to provide cool air to the heatsink :)

I have got a ultima90i heatsink on a e5200 now i have a crappy 90mm fan sitting on it the cpu stay below 52c on load :) I even own 8 delta fans(no bragging) i tested that sink with delta temp drop was negligible at stock but when the cpu was oced to 3.7ghz it showed a difference of 8c :) i don't have screenshot's otherwise would have shown you :)

That's why i had commented don't bother to put xtra fans at stock :)

@salman8506: I know you got them really cheap (50 bucks each right ?...came across that thread sometime back) ;)

@dOm1naTOr: Thanks for the info, I didn't know that.

As of my current setup, I have placed two Delta fans in push pull config on the heatsink. As salman8506 said, I ran the stress test for about 20 minutes, and compared with my earlier config. Temps do reduce by 4-5 degrees under load. I guess that's good performance, ain't it ?

first of all, if ur going to overclock ur pc, then oc it to the maximum and then run orthos stress test....if the temp after 45-60 min comes out to be 75-80...i think there's no need
if they go above than that....u shud buy it

UPDATE: Just to check the power of those fans, as salman8506 suggested, I overclocked the system (yet again) to 3.5 GHz and temps are around 72-73 degrees. Earlier temps used to soar till 80 degrees.

Clearly, the investment was worth it. :)

Back