Storage Solutions Should I buy an SSD from Amazon.com international?

@saifbukhari Posted in OP itself but bit more details:

Core i5 6500 CPU (17k from AZ)
Asus H170-PRO mobo with built-in M.2 32 Gbps slot. (11k from AZ)
G-Skill Ripjaws V DDR4 16 GB RAM (2x8GB kit) (8.7k from FK)
This SSD in the mobo's m2 slot :D

These parts I'm going to fit into my existing old cabby, use my old Corsair vx450w PSU too, replacing my Q6600 platform.

What about your config???

Samsung builds reliable memory products that have a low failure rate (heck I'm on my 3rd regular SSD from other brands in 6 years and they haven't failed on me yet), only problem is damage in shipment which can always be replaced.
May I ask why you 're opting for this workhorse oriented expensive model instead of other cheaper alternatives ?

May I ask why you 're opting for this workhorse oriented expensive model instead of other cheaper alternatives ?

Only for the bling factor - yes, I'm that shallow :D I don't do stuff that might take advantage of the device's speeds really.

To justifiy/rationalise this purchase in my mind, I was getting tired of my 7+ year old desktop (not because it's slow but because it's just aging - again being shallow here) and while I do have SSDs already they're old too (from the time when they used to cost TWICE as much with HALF the SATA 6gbps speeds as you get today) - so overall I'm looking at a good boost in my day to day computing usage :D

I really recommend spending the funds elsewhere then since you'll never utilize its full potential, it really is like buying a Titan when you only plan on playing dota.
Also I feel something odd about your system, you have a non k proccy and a H board but plan on getting a super high-end 31k ssd. You could've built a proper Haswell-E beast with the funds at your disposal. I feel like you're plonking NOS in a Maruti 800, don't mind me I'm just rambling :p
Get this vfm one instead, that ways you can still brag you have a m.2 ssd that is still fast and reliable. I bet you won't notice a difference as an average user if you were to swap this one out for the 950 pro.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA12K3G96790

I feel something odd about your system

Yep, quirky indeed :D

you're plonking NOS in a Maruti 800, don't mind me I'm just rambling :p

I don't mind at all, to continue with your analogy, like the street racers who put NOS into "ordinary" cars like Civics and what not (Fast and Furious movies) I also want to turn my nose up at people with older gen platforms, I don't care how much they're overclocked or souped up :D

I do want to experience the occasional speed boosts, I do a lot of linux installs and reinstalls in VMs and bare, also writing the images to USB pen drives should be faster now with USB3 - especially the part where it copies that 1 GB+ "squashfs" file. I don't know how much of the occasional code (C++ and Java) compilations, software installations will speed up (yet to experience it).

Whatever you do don't make an impulse purchase like you're so inclined to do atm. Post some queries on anandtech, ltt or other forums with the above mentioned usage scenarios, you'll definitely get a much more informed answer.
I mean I'm on a MX100+Force combo and I really don't remember the last time I saw a Copying window that lasted long enough to tell me how much time was remaining, I can only imagine how blazingly fast 1500 MBps write speeds are.
Maybe you could do some justice to your new components by upgrading your cabby and psu instead. I went through a platform upgrade last year and I too am still using my trusty 6 year old VX450 but that'll change once I get a new gpu. You mentioned you're moving from a Q6600, it's definitely worth spending a few k's more if your psu too is from that era.

Too late already placed the order and don't want to cancel either :D

Will post my impressions of the new stuff when it's up and running. I'm sure I'll have buyers remorse soon enough anyway.

I might replace rest of the stuff including my current 7+ yr old Dell E248WFP 24 inch TN LCD 1920x1200 display after a few months after I can spend some more, but might just continue to use them till they die out.[DOUBLEPOST=1449438233][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't plan on getting a gpu nor a display more than full Hd,

@vishalrao @psyph3r your discussion is like bragging rights and VFM hand in hand - end result - very informative to people like us. Thanks for that :)

Anyways as a fellow Enthusiast to answer your question about my PC, well here you can see:-

2015-12-07_03-46-06.jpg

I went from an overkill (during my casual gaming days) to a subtle workstation like build for my actual work etc needs. :-

2015-12-07_03-55-39.jpg

BASIC SPECS:
i5 4690K + GA Z97 UD3H BK (m.2 limited to 10 gbps so got a lycom pci card along to match speed)
32GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 1866
SAMSUNG 128GB 850 PRO - BOOT

And Now after a long time I am planning to pump it up with the beasty SSD.

So yeah - I like trying new things and mix n match per my taste & usage.

Agreed None of us are smart always - & purchases may not be VFM always - But who is perfect?

It is these forums which make us take informative decisions and also share our overkill setups for good.

Honestly glad to be a part of this - Godspeed fellas

Here's the speed test with default Win10 drivers (didn't install any Samsung provided driver):

Samsung950Pro_CrystalDiskMark.jpg

I've only just installed Win10 fresh, noticeable speed boost (during install and bootup/app startup etc) but I havent really installed much else than web browsers right now. Will post impressions as I use more apps/tools.

Currently figuring out disabling secure boot so I can dual boot linux...

Last edited:
For me it's so far been amazing the speed boost, though note that I've come from pretty old SATA SSD performing at 3gbps levels mostly, not to mention moving from pretty old CPU to Skylake. So it's hard for me to only judge the SSD itself.

I've only mostly been doing OS/app (re)installs, Windows 10 install definitely WAY faster even though I'm installing from USB2 pen drive and socket (old cabby front ports), linux updates also finish faster but the bottleneck is now the Internet connection - my Airtel 4G is not bad here at 20-30 mbps speeds most of the time.

Like most folks here and on the net seem to be saying, this SSD probably only good for certain workloads like video editing or whatever - if you're already on modern hardware and SATA 6gbps SSDs - you probably won't notice much of a difference :D

lol yeah i will, yet to recieve the adapter, there has been a little shipping situation due to which i may get it next week . yeah it bums [emoji17]but maybe for good [emoji851]

Noticed the Win10 default driver was dated from 2006 ! So went ahead and installed the Samsung driver (revision 10 dated Oct 2015) and probably the most important part of the speeds (random 4K read/write) got a good 30% boost :) Rest of the numbers seem about the same. Sorry I don't have other benchmarks run (AS-SSD or ATTO/iometer etc) just this CrystalDiskMark to compare:

Samsung950Pro_CrystalDiskMark_withSamsungDriver.jpg

Back