Shopping in Shanghai and Beijing

manu1991

Barely Alive
Skilled
My parents would be visiting both these places between end of may and june. I was thinking of getting one of those low cost android tablets for casual use.

The problem is that since I am not going, I would have to tell them the exact place and model to be bought.

So, any suggestions on good places to shop in these two cities.

Also, are there any products(mainly consumer electronics) that could be available at cheaper prices than India?

TIA

Chinese electronics, as is well known, have a very dodgy quality. And there is no way of knowing that the branded item you are buying over there is original or a knock-off. The general consensus on chinese electronic items "chalega to shaam tak warna chaand tak." :D.

Ask them to stick to low-value novelty items for their shopping such as clothes, fashion items, home & kitchen items, decorative pieces etc. etc. Big ticket electronic items are not worth the risk IMO.

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Even my parents would be visiting China in a couple of days - Shanghai , Beijing & Xian to be specific. Any pointers regarding shopping ?? Dad was interested in buying a Macbook Pro / Air - Good idea??

Thanks in advance

Sorry for reviving an old thread.

Even my parents would be visiting China in a couple of days - Shanghai , Beijing & Xian to be specific. Any pointers regarding shopping ?? Dad was interested in buying a Macbook Pro / Air - Good idea??

Thanks in advance

I would suggest AGAINST buying anything electronic from China, especially brands you get here. You never know what you might be getting. Also price of the branded electronics is not really less there. It is almost same or more in China. Not worth.
If you want to buy fake watches or Louis Vitton bags etc then head to the metro station of "Science And Technology Museum", most probably on RED line, don't remember.

Local brands might or might not be worth. Also there are lot of fake Apple stores, so don't fall for that. Especially the ones in big electronics malls like Metro city (Shanghai), they claim to be authorized sellers etc but all you get is either fakes or used items.

The electronics market in Shanghai is just above the station Xujiahui and one of the entrances of the Metro city mall is from the station itself.

For Beijing no idea about electronics or shopping as i went there only for 2-3 days for sightseeing and all. The Taj Pavilion restaurant near Guomao station in Beijing serves excellent food.

Shanghai is very expensive and i would recommend you to stay away from buying any electronic stuff from there. Its only good for buying chinese toys, fake stuff.

Thanks a lot guys for all the suggestions. Have asked my parents to avoid anything expensive. Clothing & other cheap stuff is what they should look into & also to bargain before finalizing any deal. Food is being managed by the tour & Travel company so that should not be an issue but have asked them to avoid anything since they are strict vegetarians.

P.S. & OT Sometimes wonder what would life be without TE & the wonderful people onboard. Cheers !!!!

For bargaining, use the calculator that the shops will have. They will put their price in the calculator so you put yours in the calculator and that's how you bargain and be friendly to bargain more.
Been there done that :)

Back