Shimian QH270 1440p Korean Display 27 inch

suarezian

Lord Escanor
Adept
So after making up my confused mind, I finally purchased this 27 inch Refurbished 1440p Korean monitor from Ebay.com.
The images are not clear due to my phone's camera, so please excuse that.

The display of these Korean monitor are Apple rejected displays. Apple reject these displays because, well, they are Apple. But these displays are perfect.

So, I purchased the monitor from this link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141482855003?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#shpCntId

The monitor costs 13.4k plus Rs.600 as PayPal charges. So, it comes to 14k. Customs charges was another 1.7k, so the total price I paid for this monitor was 15.7k, which is good considering the fact that a 1080p monitor costs this much.

Delivery could have been quicker. I placed an order on 2nd June and it was shipped on the same day. It arrived in Delhi on 3rd June and was cleared by the customs on the same day. But DHL delayed it saying flights are not available to ship it to Mumbai(wth?) So I should have received it on 4th June itself, but due to the delay and a Sunday coming in between, I received it on 8th June. But it was well worth the wait.

Coming to the monitor:

This is how the box looked when it arrived. It was covered with a number of bubble wraps to keep the box safe. It took me 5 minutes to take it off.

lPIPEGh.jpg

They have sent a box which mentions that a monitor is a Refurbished one. The sides of the boxes have the contact details of the manufacturer. The box was a bit damaged, but the beast inside was still safe.

wRUWqZd.jpg

iXF1hOP.jpg

Upon opening the box, the monitor is secured by a thick air ballon-ish material on the sides. Now these are some protective stuff. It is so thick, I don't think the monitor will get damaged even if its run over by a car.

oCoMhLl.jpg

m5um3Gl.jpg

Along with a monitor, you get a power brick, A power cord and a dual link DVI-D cable. Since this is a lite version, this monitor only has a DVI-D port, but that's fine since my GPU supports DVI-D.

B6tQW77.jpg

This is how the monitor looks after assembly

1F5gmgH.jpg

beYYOmp.jpg

T9UNtgf.jpg

Dead pixels:
This monitor came with 4 dead pixels on the left hand side, but those are barely visible. You will need to concentrate on that area to see those pixels. So that's not an issue.

Backlight bleeding:
I've had no issues with backlight bleeding too. I guess this monitor is just perfect.

Comparison with my old 18.5inch monitor

cweKsTf.jpg

My old monitor had a resolution of 1366x768, this this was a huge upgrade for me. I am currently enjoying GTA 5 on this beast.
BTW, this monitor only has a power button and brightness control buttons on the back. There are other buttons too, but they are not supposed to work.

Hope you guys find this short review helpful. If you need any more information, do ask me :D
Thanks for watching.

Thanks for the review and congrats on your purchase!

I have a question regarding the customs charges. Is it a fixed value?(like a few % of the cost?). or was it just a random value they came up with?

The display of these Korean monitor are Apple rejected displays. Apple reject these displays because, well, they are Apple. But these displays are perfect.

Where did you get this bit of info?

As per my understanding, this display merely happens to use the LG Phillips H-IPS panel LM270WQ1 which is also used in the Apple 27" Cinema display. LG supplies its panels to a number of companies including Apple and Dell. Apples implementations are usually bare bones and utterly devoid of even the most basic features. This Shimain Display also apparently follows the same formula of a bare bones display using the same model of H-IPS panel, but has nothing else to do with Apple. This is not some sort of Apple rejected display as you put it.

My 4 year old Dell U2711 uses another iteration of the panel, namely the LM270WQ2, but the similarity ends there as this display is super feature rich with lots of inputs and customization options and the rest of the hardware used and worth the 40k that I bought it for back then.

Yep all IPS 1440p panels are made by LG Display. The reason some of these are rejected by the higher end brands is because they have some issue - stuck pixels, backlight bleed, poor deltaE for color, unacceptable gamma tracking, color and brightness uniformity issues etc. There is two main IPS panels - one with an 8 bit gamut and WLED back light and the more expensive 8+2 (10) bit gamut GB-r LED backlight. My Asus PA279q has the latter and so does the Dell U2711H/U2713H.

The main difference is that the former is limited to sRGB color space while the latter can do both sRGB and Adobe RGB color spaces. The latter is used in more expensive pro displays while the former goes into cheaper display and also weirdly enough the Apple Cinema Display. Pay through your nose and don't even get the better panel - yea that is apple for you :p.

There are a lot more things to a display other than just resolution. My Asus for example has ruler flat 2.2/2.4/2.5 gamma tracking at a flick of a button, an average deltaE of <2 for color accuracy, selectable factory calibrated sRGB and Adobe RGB modes and self calibrated user modes, support for uniformity compensation, 6 axis RGB/CMY/Level/Hue/Saturation control, a hood to make sure external light doesn't creep in and a bunch of other pro features. You basically get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Most of the so called 10 Bit monitors are 8bit +FRC. Plus 10 bit monitor requires supporting GPU (Nvidia Firepro or AMD Quadro ) for send/receive true 10 bit signal. And I don't remember any Games, movies that uses beyond sRGB colorspace.

Professional Graphic Art & Photography work can/will benefit from 10 bit monitor provided they have supporting GPU, Printers etc.

Everyone else not to worry about AdobeRGB and the billion colors :)

Most of the so called 10 Bit monitors are 8bit +FRC. Plus 10 bit monitor requires supporting GPU (Nvidia Firepro or AMD Quadro ) for send/receive true 10 bit signal. And I don't remember any Games, movies that uses beyond sRGB colorspace.

Professional Graphic Art & Photography work can/will benefit from 10 bit monitor provided they have supporting GPU, Printers etc.

Everyone else not to worry about AdobeRGB and the billion colors :)

Yes pretty much all 10 bit panels are 8bit + frc. However it is still better than 8 bit in practice. Also most Adobe RGB displays have far better gamma and greyscale tracking which is nice irrespective of apps. Radeons also support 10 bit signal with newer drivers. Also there is a difference between outputting a 10 bit signal over displayport and actually displaying 10 bit content.

For the latter the graphics drivers need support for R10G10B10A2 format in OpenGL. NVIDIA doesn't support this at all on Geforce cards. On AMD radeon cards, there is a registry tweak to enable the same.

I get proper 10 bit ramps in PS on a radeon 7970. 16 bit per channel gradients are perfectly smooth.

Personally, I am more interested in the input options and features provided by the display's.

My Dell U2711 has 2 x DVI, VGA, HDMI, Display Port, component and composite inputs. It also has an USB hub and a multi memory card reader on the side which is very useful. The OSD is feature rich and allows a lot of control.

The Apple 27" Cinema Display which is projected as a professional grade display is almost just as bare bones as this Shimian, uses the same panel, but still costs 75k. Goes to show how much they charge just for the brand name. :rolleyes:

Back