Budget 90k+ sff - raptor lake, 4080 ti

emullama

Patron
Patron
My 2015 computer has been showing its age for a while now and I've been thinking about putting a new one together.

I need to put it in an SFF enclosure because I've been having to travel a lot. I was looking at pairing a 13600 with the 4080, but the former either isn't a thing yet or isn't available here, and thus, I figured I'll wait for the 4080 Ti to be announced and pair it with a 13600K, but that's taking almost forever and I recently saw someone on reddit saying that Ti versions might not be in the cards(wink) for the 4080 and the 4090, which is a bummer.

You might wonder why I want them to be configured this way, the reasons are as infantile as you can imagine.

Putting all that aside, I've decided to proceed with the build. I had initially settled on the A4-H2O, but then I saw some pretty good deals on H1 V2; that made the idea of dealing with long, rigid PSU cables and AIO tubing seem like an unnecessary hassle. Now, with the H1, 13600K, and ProArt 4080(the only one that'd fit w/o doing funny things to the case) in mind, I discovered that the PSU that comes with the case has some trouble handling transient loads for GPUs like the 3080 and above. Moreover, the PSU's fan always seems to be running and creates quite a racket. The only solution is to swap it with something better.

Coming to the 140mm AIO the case comes with, NZXT doesn't allow you to control its pump speed. By default, it runs at 4000 RPM at all times and sounds like a dentist's drill. Running it at 50% speed fixes the issue without losing much performance. The only way to achieve this is to modify their proprietary 5-pin cable to plug it into the mobo's pump header instead of the NZXT fan controller, which would void the warranty.

I personally would like the smaller H2O, and picking all the parts for it, but nothing would beat the convenience of tailored-length, already routed cables and the really short AIO tubing on the H1 for me.

What I'm looking for here is for someone who has experience with these cases to help me navigate the decision making on this build. If my concerns with either of the cases are unfounded, or if I should maybe consider different set of components. I would also like to know how bad of a board is ASRock Z790M-ITX. Thank you and have a fun weekend.

Last edited:
Maybe just make it simple & opt for NR200P. I have been looking into SFFs recently & found NR200P to be a great value. Surely my current Zotac RTX 3070 AMP will fit in a smaller case easily but it will hamper future GPU upgrades. People are fitting NR200P with upto 4090 (not all models).

Rest of the stuff, you seem to know your stuff. 13600K + 4080 should be a good combination. If you aren't into productivity stuff, maybe look into a more efficient CPU like 7800X3D which is better for gaming as well.

From the looks of ASRock Z790M-ITX, its VRM set up doesn't look great to handle very high power draws, like 13600K crosses 150W easily. Opt for undervolting if you go the Intel route. VRMs shouldn't be an issue for 7800X3D + B650I as the CPU draws upto 100W on full load. Just put some limits on it for very minor (2-3%) performance hit, then even on a single tower air cooler it will run fine.

thanks omega, quick question for you. trying to decide between the asrock z790 pg-itx and msi mpg z790i edge. they're both priced about the same. I was hoping to score an msi meg z690i unify, but it's nowhere to be found. leaning towards the asrock board, but no clue about their service here. thanks again.

thanks omega, quick question for you. trying to decide between the asrock z790 pg-itx and msi mpg z790i edge. they're both priced about the same. I was hoping to score an msi meg z690i unify, but it's nowhere to be found. leaning towards the asrock board, but no clue about their service here. thanks again.
Hardware Unboxed doesn't have VRM temps for ITX mobos, but I'll prefer the MSI one as they are usually better than AsRock.

Both have 10+1+1 VRM, should be fine for 13600K/14600K. Look into specs closely to check for differences.

Have you considered the Loque Ghost S1 and NR200P max? I'd say that the S1 is a proper itx case, since it's actually small form factor. NR200P and H1 are just reshaped m-ATX cases, but they're still fine. Don't stress too much about the VRMs, if you're planning on mostly gaming, then anything mentioned is fine enough. I believe Optimum tech has some reviews on some of those boards as well.

use this for a size comparison - https://comparesizes.com/comparison...s-CM-NR200-vs-H1-v2-vs-Ghost-S1/1702880659511

Optimum tech is the gold standard for ITX builds btw, do go through every related video he has on ITX.

thank you for your responses, guys. i went ahead with an a4-h2o, and now deciding between the 13600k and 14700k. as for the motherboard, thinking the asus/msi b760i should suffice for the 13600k? idk.

thank you for your responses, guys. i went ahead with an a4-h2o, and now deciding between the 13600k and 14700k. as for the motherboard, thinking the asus/msi b760i should suffice for the 13600k? idk.
Why do you want an Intel CPU? Beyond i5 14600K, cooling the CPU will be a challenge on an AIO. IF you won't be using CPU at its full performance, just get an AMD CPU instead, like R5 7600 or 7700 or 7800X3D. 7800X3D is the best CPU for gaming while drawing around 100W. Sure its producitivity performance is inferior to 14600K, but that i5 draws up to 170W at full load.

With Ryzen, you have the option to upgrade CPU later as well, 2 more gen of CPUs are expected on AM5.

Back