Seeking Advice on Ticket Changes and Best Practices

Wittycomment

Disciple
Jan 3, 2022
## Hello Everyone,

I wanted to share my recent experience with air travel and booking tickets, and unfortunately, I made a mistake. It was my first time booking air tickets, and I accidentally booked the wrong ticket, with the departure and arrival cities swapped. I admit that I made a foolish oversight and booked the ticket without realizing the error. As soon as I realized my mistake, I promptly cancelled the ticket within 20 minutes, but it still cost me 3,000 rupees out of the total 5,000 rupee fare.

Now, my flight is scheduled for June 18th, but now my company has informed me that I can travel in late July instead. I'm faced with the decision of either changing the date of my ticket or cancelling it altogether, and the charges for both options are the same.
The date of change will cost around 3k and cancellation would be 4k.

I would appreciate your guidance on how to save on this situation and what the best course of action would be. Should I opt for a date change or cancellation? Additionally, I would like to know how many weeks in advance I should ideally book a ticket and which platform would be best to use.

Currently, I booked the ticket through Amazon Flights, which utilized MakeMyTrip as the booking platform, and the airline was IndiGo.

Thank you all in advance.

SkullSmazer

Disciple
Jun 12, 2023
I think you booked flight at the right time as prices increase near the flight/booking day. But you can look at the flexi option while choosing a flight which you are not completely sure of as they have option to change the date and even cancel. They usually cost 15-20% more but it might be okay if you are not sure and do not want to loose 3k every time