Seeking advice on a HTPC setup

hydrashok

Disciple
Hi!

A complete noob here. :)

I'm looking to build a Music PC. Usage will be mostly music and a bit of movies. I will not be using the PC for anything else. It will sit in my Hifi rack and will be used with the rest of the kit in there.

One of my main considerations is the need for a minimum of noise from the cabinet (from fans). The next consideration is that the cooling should be as efficient as possible. The last consideration is that it should all fit into about 30K (with 2K wiggle room) :)

After some reading, I've kind of got an idea of what I want. I'd love to have the advice of the learned people here on what I've tentatively finalised on. I have some specific doubts about the setup that I will ask, after filling in the template.

Q: What is your budget?

30K (+ 2K buffer).

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

Starting from scratch. I do have with me a fresh 3.5" 500GB Samsung HDD, and a 500VA APC UPS, which I intend to use with the build.

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU & GPU & Motherboard - Asus E35M1-M PRO ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Motherboards- ASUS E35M1-M PRO

RAM - Need advice on this. Please suggest. Corsair preferred.

Monitor - Will be using my LCD TV. It has HDMI & VGA input connections.

SMPS - Corsair Builder Series CX430 Builder Series

Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX (Choice finalised. Yet to buy. Will love vendor suggestions.)

HDD: I already have with me a fresh Samsung 3.5" 500GB HDD.

Disc Drive: Any good DVD Combo drive. Please suggest.

Cabinet: Silverstone GD-04-B. (Choice finalised. Yet to buy. Will love vendor suggestions.)

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

Mostly final. I might add another 500GB or 1TB HDD in another year maybe. Also, if I upgrade to Win 7 later, I will add another 2GB RAM.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

City = Cochin. Open to buying from other places (= send money, get stuff shipped to me). I am fine with buying from a TE Dealer.

Open to online purchase: YES!

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

No.

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

HTPC. (Playing Lossless music, watching SD and HD movies. More for music than for movies.).

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

I've mentioned my preferences above. But I'm completely open to suggestions.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

No gaming.

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Uh, I have a 720p TV now. Will get a full HD TV in a few years. The HTPC will be used only with my TV.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows XP Pro 3 (32bit).

Some Questions:

1) Is the power supply I've mentioned sufficient? Or is it overkill? I'd like a well-matched PSU (with a bit of extra headroom as far as power is concerned), which is as quiet as possible.

2) Will 2GB RAM do for my purposes? I plan to use Win XP Pro3 only. If I get a 2GB + 1GB RAM setup, with that be ok? --> As in, will the oddly matched RAM sizes cause trouble?

3) Overall, is the setup I've mentioned all right?

I'd be very grateful if you folks could tell me how much the components would cost too. (I believe about 50% of my budget has been taken up by the cabinet and the sound card.)

Thanks in advance. :)

Back