Car & Bike Sedan under 12Lacs

It's neither a sedan nor an suv. It's a full Size hatchback - the shape is classic hatchback. It's a nice fun car though on the highway. In city there is a lot of turbo lag. Surprisingly agile for something on stilts.
u talking about the scross 1.6 right as it comes with two engines ? . yes the torque comes after 1800 rpm but i enjoy the kick of the turbo than linear acceleration. below 1800 rpm not a lotta difference between both variant and drive nearly same, so if the ciaz ppl dnt have much complain of turbo lag then scross ones wont as well , specially the 1.6 version. In heavy traffic car wont be as fun as expected but take it on a highway and its wow ! and why you calling it to be on stilts , it is not a very high ground clearance car. just a lil higher than swift.

Last edited:
S-Cross is a definitely a great car, but it has its share of flaws.. A lot of components are borrowed from swift, DDIS300 which is the engine to drive is expensive even after the price cut.. Low popularity means resale will be pathetic..
It's more of a cross-over, and doesn't look young :p

S-Cross is a definitely a great car, but it has its share of flaws.. A lot of components are borrowed from swift, DDIS300 which is the engine to drive is expensive even after the price cut.. Low popularity means resale will be pathetic..
It's more of a cross-over, and doesn't look young :p
the 1.3 may have some parts from swift but not the 1.6, that engine is imported as well so u get better quality. S cross is on a different platform soparts not shared. very few like maybe a few switches etc would be shared. In terms on popularity just get the city , verna/rapid/vento least popular and scross above these but below city. Popularity i assumed on basis of sales figures. S cross since sold from nexa only also leads to its lesser sales. In delhi i do get the 1.6 under 12lakhs , where do u stay where its exceeding ur budget ?

I live in Mumbai.. Which variant of S-Cross you got under 12lacs? Regarding less sales due to Nexa.. Even Baleno is sold through Nexa outlet and it commands waiting list of 6 months! IMO product has to do with the sales, and not the outlet from where it is sold..
Will test drive Verna petrol, and then finalize.. I have already tested City CVT and Manual.. Loved the manual.. CVT was a bit noisy but paddle shifters were fun to use.. lets see how Verna performs..

We are using city zx which is now 8-9 yrs old and has run 1.2L KM. And ownership experience has been very good. Other than minor replacements of worn down components there have been no issues so far. No sounds/ noise, rattles coming from anywhere. Switchgear is also smooth and of very good plastic. Gear shift and clutch is butter smooth. If we make someone drive the car, i am sure he wont be able to guess its odo and age.

Now the problem is my dad is bored of it and want to buy new car but all other family members think, if there is nothing wrong with this one, why should we spend 10L for new car.

Only issues compared to current market alternatives with our city now is very low equipment level. No abs, ebd, airbags, cruise control, petrol etc. And sits (only) 5 people when family is growing. So imo options if we had to buy new car would be new city, ciaz and ertiga (since its would sit more people and would be more comfortable with sliding middle row giving more legroom). Also i would prefer maruti this time since it has more service centers. So more alternatives if one center doesnt turnout good enough. Also cost of spares and maintenance would be cheaper even compared to honda.

Opt for german car only if ride, handling, performance is your priority. Take into account their expensive service, spares though. Option from toyota in this segment is dearly missing. Would have been best seller imo.

u talking about the scross 1.6 right as it comes with two engines ? . yes the torque comes after 1800 rpm but i enjoy the kick of the turbo than linear acceleration. below 1800 rpm not a lotta difference between both variant and drive nearly same, so if the ciaz ppl dnt have much complain of turbo lag then scross ones wont as well , specially the 1.6 version. In heavy traffic car wont be as fun as expected but take it on a highway and its wow ! and why you calling it to be on stilts , it is not a very high ground clearance car. just a lil higher than swift.

Turbo lag is really painful in bumper to bumper bangalore or bombay traffic. This was the only real downer of the car. On Highway though, this doesn't matter.

While the car handles reasonably well, it still has a higher center of gravity than say a Vento or a city and as a result feels so. Also I am used to the on the rails handling of the mitsu cedia before and the volvo v40cc now. Both of these have a very flat ride. The V40 corners absolutely flat. Compared to my reference, the scross did roll around considerably.

I live in Mumbai.. Which variant of S-Cross you got under 12lacs? Regarding less sales due to Nexa.. Even Baleno is sold through Nexa outlet and it commands waiting list of 6 months! IMO product has to do with the sales, and not the outlet from where it is sold..
Will test drive Verna petrol, and then finalize.. I have already tested City CVT and Manual.. Loved the manual.. CVT was a bit noisy but paddle shifters were fun to use.. lets see how Verna performs..
Verna's handling is not good at all. City is much better. I am yet to meet someone who bought a Verna for its driving characteristics. It was mostly for its equipment levels. But now I think the City is similarly specced so it doesn't make sense going for it. The engine is decently powerful though.

The Vento has very nice handling but the 1.6l petrol engine is a damn shame. Its shocking that they havent already replaced it with the 1.2 TSI. That engine is an absolute gem.

Check Ciaz. I was in the same position 8 months ago and got a Ciaz. It's VFM and backseat comfort is best. The 1.4 L petrol engine is peppy enough and offers a good mileage too. Above all service reliability and maintainance is also important.

The Vento has very nice handling but the 1.6l petrol engine is a damn shame. Its shocking that they havent already replaced it with the 1.2 TSI. That engine is an absolute gem.

The Vento does have the 1.2 TSI + 7DSG for a while now as the petrol option.

Honda doesnt have any service issues in Mumbai. Besides they all provide a pickup and drop facility. We got an accord from arya honda and city from apex and both their service is on par.
Infact honda follows a centrally maintained service record, so even if i am at arya honda, they can check what apex has done with my car in the last service.
Just mentioning to clear all Service related doubts.

The S-cross top end right now is going for a 5.5 lac discount in mumbai. You bargain hard and you will get it. I did consider it myself, but that would be an impulse purchase and i really liked the new tata crossover shown @ the delhi expo. Waiting for its on road reviews.

City no discount, Vento tsi no discount.
Skoda 1-1.5l discount.
Ciaz dunno

A friend has an SX4, and when he makes sharp turns or goes around the 100 mark, you can literally feel it. City and Verna not so much.
I have driven the eco sport quiet a bit. You will enjoy the city and verna a lot more imho.

Coincidentally I was also looking at a purchase sometime in Dec but a few unfortunate personal events put paid to my plans. On hindsight I think that was good because looking at the great spread of models at AutoExpo this year and a lot of those coming out soon there's a lot more choice.

I had a similar budget in mind but looking at the list of cars in the price brackets below 12L I figured that there's an insane amount of what I call "engine bast@rdization" with the way companies are approaching the affordability game in the sub 12/10 brackets. They plonk the same engine sometimes with minor tuning adjustments across categories of cars which is pathetic. Maruti seem to be doing the same thing with the Breeza.

Anyways my car ownership history in the family is as follows:
2001 Honda City 1.3Exi
2007 Honda City ZX Gxi
2007 Honda City ZX I-VTEC

So pretty much been a Honda loyalist. This time though I felt it was worth checking the field for what I prioritised as follows:
1. Power close to or above 120Bhp - I do a lot of Bombay Goa runs and I need a car that can do 140 stable
2. Safety
3.Drive Character has to be accurate and sporty - tough ask!
4. Equipment & Bootspace

Without getting too in depth I basically ended up with the City/Verna/Duster/Terrano/Ecosport/Creta as options (don't want Tata/Mahindra models)

As of last night I was leaning back to the City although the Creta is tempting it is overpriced & has a lot of glaring omissions when compared to Hyundai's own i20 which is really idiotic & greedy of them

Coincidentally I was also looking at a purchase sometime in Dec but a few unfortunate personal events put paid to my plans. On hindsight I think that was good because looking at the great spread of models at AutoExpo this year and a lot of those coming out soon there's a lot more choice.

I had a similar budget in mind but looking at the list of cars in the price brackets below 12L I figured that there's an insane amount of what I call "engine bast@rdization" with the way companies are approaching the affordability game in the sub 12/10 brackets. They plonk the same engine sometimes with minor tuning adjustments across categories of cars which is pathetic. Maruti seem to be doing the same thing with the Breeza.

Anyways my car ownership history in the family is as follows:
2001 Honda City 1.3Exi
2007 Honda City ZX Gxi
2007 Honda City ZX I-VTEC

So pretty much been a Honda loyalist. This time though I felt it was worth checking the field for what I prioritised as follows:
1. Power close to or above 120Bhp - I do a lot of Bombay Goa runs and I need a car that can do 140 stable
2. Safety
3.Drive Character has to be accurate and sporty - tough ask!
4. Equipment & Bootspace

Without getting too in depth I basically ended up with the City/Verna/Duster/Terrano/Ecosport/Creta as options (don't want Tata/Mahindra models)

As of last night I was leaning back to the City although the Creta is tempting it is overpriced & has a lot of glaring omissions when compared to Hyundai's own i20 which is really idiotic & greedy of them
Totally agree with your views.. The only models which I found interesting in Auto Expo were Suzuki Brezza and VW Tiguan.. Unfortunately in the former they have again implanted the same DDiS motor. On the other hand Tiguan will be close to 20L mark..

My post doesn't help you but my brother got a 2009 or so City (the one after dolphin model) couple of months back and it is an automatic petrol and he has got CNG fitted with it. Yes second hand car. But it was sort of our first car and I insisted on a sedan and air bags so we got this. Nothing much to add.

I would personally go with Duster just for the magic ride quality it provides. If bad roads aren't that frequent then you can go back to City. By the way every car company does that be it Toyota, VW or even Honda. Earlier it used to be just engines that were repeated, but now the whole platforms are designed in such a way that a wide variety of vehicles can be launched on a single platform. This helps not only in R&D costs, but manufacturing costs as well.
Plus the Fiat 1.3 engine is already known as the National engine of India considering how many cars from different stables sport the same engine.

Back