Search cheap alternatives to Doctor prescribed Medicines

I will quote my own post.
without all phase drug trials,it won't get FDA clearance.
so what is next best source of cutting cost ?
think guys ?
Who does the trials? Is it in the company's hands or is it done by govt? Even non generic drugs don't have full dosage in each tab. At least half of the powder will be some stabilizer or a mix of chemicals to prevent adverse reactions in the patients system.

Trials are meant for study of drug actions reactions,side effects and how.different population act to it.
Without drug trials, no drug can enter market.
They are done by company and very tight controlled at that.

If they are done by company, then there is every chance of them fudging documents to pass FDA or whatever agency. There's chances of serious side effects not being reported or enough trials taking place in effort to cut costs of litigation or research. Cost cutting in drugs composition happens long time after cost cutting in drug development happens.

If reports and trials are in companies hands and in their marketing agencies, there's no evidence they will perform better than generic drugs.

6 pack drugs sold in INDIA have loose quality control checks.

See Ranbaxy who had to pay fine to the tune of 2700 crore in USA just a couple of day back for their most profitable asset Lipitor.Reason for it being proved was an insider ringed their bell and he will earn 10% of this penalty.not a bad amount to earn easily.

In india banned drugs like D cold are openly not only sold but also advertised for cold treatment on medium like TV.
http://articles.economictimes.india...gs-standard-control-organisation-side-effects

My point exactly @MAGNeT. That's why I said, you can't differentiate between branded and generic drugs. Branded drug could very well be a generic version with a well marketed name but costing much more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Branded drugs are sold at at least 50% profit margin, just like bottled drinks are. That said, I would never trust a generic drug over branded ones, when it comes to myself or my friends/relatives. To each, his own. If you would like to risk your health over money, so be it.

BTW, I believe some people are confused about what comprises a generic drug. A generic drug is basically something that is sold by it's chemical name, and not with a brand name. So, what is Mox Clav from Ranbaxy, is named Moxikind CV by Mankind pharma, and both are branded drugs, although the former costs much higher than the latter (Someone mentioned Amlokind AT - It is not a generic drug..!). I am definitely in favour of choosing a good cheap alternative from a reputed pharma company. But, getting an alternative unknown brand, or a generic drug, I would definitely not suggest. After all, it is your health we are talking about.

You must see episode of Satyamev Jayate. After telecast there was big opposition by doctors across India. If docs are so true why oppose ?

Kind of lost trust on Doctors. Why would a doc give cheap generic medicine when they get hefty commission from MOST medicine companies.

Have a seen a doc who was out of station for 15 days. Nurse says Sir is attending conference in USA. His kiddo said we were on switzerland, Wife said "Unko companies se free milta hai ... 15 days of Switzerland trip.. At a cost of patients money ?

Duh..

You must see episode of Satyamev Jayate. After telecast there was big opposition by doctors across India. If docs are so true why oppose ?

Kind of lost trust on Doctors. Why would a doc give cheap generic medicine when they get hefty commission from MOST medicine companies.

Have a seen a doc who was out of station for 15 days. Nurse says Sir is attending conference in USA. His kiddo said we were on switzerland, Wife said "Unko companies se free milta hai ... 15 days of Switzerland trip.. At a cost of patients money ?

Duh..

you are implying docs get commission from MNC's and not generic companies. Marketing practices of generic makers are far worse than MNC's.

Rotavac - http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-22535673

Scientists in India have unveiled a new low-cost vaccine against a deadly virus that kills about half a million children around the world each year.

Rotavirus causes dehydration and severe diarrhoea and spreads through contaminated hands and surfaces and is rampant in Asia and Africa.

India says clinical trials show the new vaccine, Rotavac, can save the lives of thousands of children annually.

An Indian manufacturer said the vaccine would cost 54 rupees ($1; £0.65).

International pharmaceutical companies GlaxoSmithKline and Merck produce similar vaccines but each dose costs around 1,000 rupees.

FYI..

I just learnt this a few weeks back. Moxikind, which is manufactured by ManKind, is a local generic variant of Augmentin, which is the most widely prescribed wide spectrum antibiotic. Moxikind cost only a fraction of what Augmentin does.

Back