Storage Solutions Seagate Hard Disk - Dead? :(

I have a Seagate 1 TB 3.5 HDD (model no: ST31000528AS) which was working fine till last month. Of late, I found that it takes at least 5 mins to copy a 1 MB file :( I ran the hard disk checker and it didn't showed any bad sectors.

So, I thought of checking the cables inside and removed the power & data cables and re-plugged again. (Damn! :() When I restarted, it is not getting detected in the BIOS :( I tried connecting on other SATA ports, changed the cables but of no use :( I even tried connect it to one of my friend's PC and there also it is not getting detected.

Since warranty period is remaining, (around 6 months) I can get the drive RMAed but I'm in a fix now as almost 700 GBs of data is inside! Is there any way to get back the data? Please help guys..

1> Is the hard drive spinning? Just place your hand on it when it's switched on to check.

2> If it's not being detected in the bios, it probably won't get detected by 'Seatools for DOS' or 'Seatools for Windows' either but it's worth trying.

I had similar thing of my WD Green drive not being detected in BIOS but it was like sometimes it would show up and most of the time it wont. I could copy 450-500GB data but rest I lost as it wont be getting detected in any software like HDD Sentinel and BIOS. First check would be is it getting power ON or not by checking if its spinning or not.

@All: The drive is spinning when connected but it is not getting detected on the BIOS. Haven't tried SeaTools yet. While browsing over net, I found that PCB swap of a same model may help but the problem is I do not have an identical drive/PCB to check that. :(
The only way left now is to purchase a similar model (second hand) on TE market and try swapping the PCB :(

^Checked that already! I thought of buying a drive locally instead of taking risk of buying a PCB alone. Further, the price quoted there is on the higher side.

If I can get a drive here around 2.5k-3k it will be great. Even if mine is not working after the swap, I will be having a (working!) hdd on my hand, isn't it?

^Checked that already! I thought of buying a drive locally instead of taking risk of buying a PCB alone. Further, the price quoted there is on the higher side.

If I can get a drive here around 2.5k-3k it will be great. Even if mine is not working after the swap, I will be having a (working!) hdd on my hand, isn't it?

Yeah thats cool. You will be having a working HDD at-least.

Back