Seagate Dockstar Discussion and Tutorial Thread

archat68 said:
One noob question:

What Linux should we use on the PC while installing the debian on the dockstar?

I think there is no need. all you need a ssh client, which comes inbuilt into Linux. For windows, simply use Putty:D

varkey said:
^ The first partition should contain the boot files ie /boot I think, other than that you are free to create other partitions. But the debian installer by Jeff, installs the full OS in the first partition itself.

Btw today I opened my dockstar and connected the serial cable which I bought from eBay :) I suggest everyone who has ordered the dockstar to get hold of this cable. :)

The cable which I got from the above link, the wires Black = GND, Blue = Rx and White = Tx

Also looks like booting when more than one device is connected is no longer a problem. First follow the instructions here. The OS drive should be connected to a lower numbered port. The ports are numbered in the following way

1 - The one right next to the ethernet port

2 - Port beside 1

3 - The port on the side

So as long as the primary OS drive's port comes first it will boot fine even with two devices connected at the same time.

Now if we connect the OS drive in the wrong order the device will go on a indefinite reset loop.

Another improvement, now I am getting about 9 MB/s when writing to an NTFS drive. I don't know what changes I made caused the speed to improve as I had removed the ntfs-3g driver, reinstalled it, tried to install a new version etc etc. But finally here are the read and write speeds on an NTFS formatted 2.5" drive :)
great find man... i wonder if i should break open the tonidoplug too... hehehehe stop instigating man :p

Hey all, requesting you to ask for quotes for dockstar listed here - http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/network_storage/freeagent_dockstar/

by applying promo code - SEAGATESTORAGE ,it shaves of $4 of it.

i think that this is the right time to buy this even with price around 2.5k as later it will increase to $99.00.

common guyz ask for quotes from ICC & get it listed on ebay ASAP.

do post the link here when listed.

i've already asked for quote but haven't got any reply so far.

Awesome news guys!

So just to rephrase

1. So long as the os is installed in the first partition of a hdd it ll all boot fine.

2. So long as the usb hdd is connected to the correct port it will boot ok.

3. I can just keep the partition for the os as ext 3, the others where data is stored can be ntfs.

All correct?

Also, how smart is it to install the os on flash? Won't the flash drive wear out? That's why I got myself a separate usb hdd.

I managed to brick my Dockstar. Don't know how it happened. I followed the steps right to the tee and still managed to muck it up. Ordered the cable off ebay and am going to open the device when the cable is delivered.

@varkey: We need linux OS on the other end if we want to see the serial output right?

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Sei. I am hoping for better luck. Have asked Varkey to prepare a step-by-step how to on what worked for him exactly.

Sei said:
@varkey: We need linux OS on the other end if we want to see the serial output right?

Not necessary, I was using putty on Windows. :)
NAV33N said:
hey guyz i came across this - Amazon.com: Seagate FreeAgent Go Dock 100521233: Electronics

awesome deal on dockstar.

can anyone contact ICC in getting these from US.

it should cost us about 1.5k.
That is a different item, you need to look for Dockstar. And the seagate store link was posted before in the IC thread too, infact few members got it through that link only. :) Final price would come to about 2.7k listed on eBay.

@techie_007 - Yes I think all 3 are correct and it should work fine like that.

Yes the flash can wear out, but I was using a 2 GB SD card on my Atom Setup for about 6 months and it never showed any sign of failure.

Btw I will try to prepare a small how to on how to get it running by tonight or tomorrow. :)

varkey said:

That is a different item, you need to look for Dockstar. And the seagate store link was posted before in the IC thread too, infact few members got it through that link only. :) Final price would come to about 2.7k listed on eBay.

@techie_007 - Yes I think all 3 are correct and it should work fine like that.

Yes the flash can wear out, but I was using a 2 GB SD card on my Atom Setup for about 6 months and it never showed any sign of failure.

Btw I will try to prepare a small how to on how to get it running by tonight or tomorrow. :)
Waiting for that tutorial Varkey :D

Guess flash may last, but then, if I need to connect a USB HDD anyway to store the downloaded data, I can always create a partition for the OS and store the data on the rest. Need to connect only 1 device then.

Also, I assume I can always run Samba for normal file sharing of any devices connected to the USB ports. However, if I boot into the Pogo install, will the sharing functionality still work or is it disabled when we disabled the phone-home from the startup script?

varkey said:
That's really great! I was thinking of getting a linux setup just for this purpose. It would really help if you posted some pics of the opened dock with the serial connectors and the CA42 cable. I'm going to do this as soon as I get the cable delivered to my place.

havent got mine but a nice detailed guide would be very welcome (with pics if possible )

i also wouldnt like to brick it and come to the serial cable

i am also a noob in linux programming but used to work on fedora a year back

so know the hangs of the os

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

NAV33N said:
Hey all, requesting you to ask for quotes for dockstar listed here - FreeAgent DockStar Network Adapter | Seagate
by applying promo code - SEAGATESTORAGE ,it shaves of $4 of it.
i think that this is the right time to buy this even with price around 2.5k as later it will increase to $99.00.
i dont think the price will go back to $99
its a failed product according to the seagate and seagate is clearing stock by these deals
even if you google flashing or hacking this dockstar you get less results as compared to other plugs
in the same price range of $99 there are far better options available such as guruplug

Ya will try to post the pics of the opened dock with the connections soon. :)

@archat68 - You should have received one more mail confirming the item was purchased. Contact them to check the status.

@techie_007 - Yes with Samba you can easily share the USV drives. About PogoPlug OS, I never really tried it. First you need to activate your device by visiting their website as given in the Quick Start guide and I think only then the sharing facility works and the default start up scripts should also be running.

Back