Seagate Backup Plus External Not Getting Detected - Help!

That sound just indicate that something is inserted into the usb drive & some amount of current is flowing through the path (the hdd led light turning on for example).

No, that sound will not play if there is only current flowing, it indicates that something is interfacing using the USB protocol.

It may only be the controller for all we know, but thats a start point.

USB protocol interface connection is "current flowing" through the circuit.
A small correction - If you plug in a powerbank to charge, no sound will play, but the powerbank will charge. This is "current flowing" through the circuit.

When the sound plays, it means the D+ and D- pins are connected to something on the other side that advertises itself to be a USB device.

There is "current flowing" through the device in this case also. But the sound is because the OS recognises a USB device is connected.

I tested the HDD again today by placing it in the HDD dock. Now there is no sound of a USB device connecting at all after I turn the HDD dock ON with the drive in it. Of course the HDD does not get detected on my PC. When I placed my hand on the HDD I could feel it is spinning inside though.

I tested the HDD again today by placing it in the HDD dock. Now there is no sound of a USB device connecting at all after I turn the HDD dock ON with the drive in it. Of course the HDD does not get detected on my PC. When I placed my hand on the HDD I could feel it is spinning inside though.
Looks like somethings wrong with the pcb...controller IC.

if it's getting detected you can use rufus to format the drive and make it usable again but you're going to loose all the files in the drive in that process.

Like I said it's not getting detected at all. I have given up on the HDD. It's just a coaster now. Thankfully all data was backed (as I always maintain a 1:1 mirror of every HDD I have data on) so I was covered.

Like I said it's not getting detected at all. I have given up on the HDD. It's just a coaster now. Thankfully all data was backed (as I always maintain a 1:1 mirror of every HDD I have data on) so I was covered.
Will always suggest to a use an internal as an external in a casing.

Not a good idea unless casing is very good quality with active cooling assuming 3.5" hdd.
Thats optional..my core enforcement is internals are less susceptible to failures unlike usb externals where hardly anything can be done to get the drive bring back to life and recover data.

Thats optional..my core enforcement is internals are less susceptible to failures unlike usb externals where hardly anything can be done to get the drive bring back to life and recover data.
All 3.5" usb drives are using the same drive models which are also sold as internal drives & all of them can be easily disassembled to take the drive out & use as internal which is what majority abroad do. They also produce much more heat than 2.5" drives especially 8TB or larger CMR drives. I have seen a WD 8TB usb drive with power adapter reaching 60C in North Indian winter season during night without even doing anything. Running hdd at 55C-60C temps for hours daily is a sure shot way to kill them within a year or two.

All 3.5" usb drives are using the same drive models which are also sold as internal drives & all of them can be easily disassembled to take the drive out & use as internal which is what majority abroad do.
What you are referring to is known as HDD shucking which is not possible any more for majority of the brands and models. Else earlier the job was pretty easy and straightforward.

What you are referring to is known as HDD shucking which is not possible any more for majority of the brands and models. Else earlier the job was pretty easy and straightforward.
Why? Last time I checked all 3.5" external drive models from WD & seagate as well as all 2.5" portable usb hdd models were seagate were shuckable.

A small correction - If you plug in a powerbank to charge, no sound will play, but the powerbank will charge. This is "current flowing" through the circuit.

When the sound plays, it means the D+ and D- pins are connected to something on the other side that advertises itself to be a USB device.

There is "current flowing" through the device in this case also. But the sound is because the OS recognises a USB device is connected.

Thanks mate, my point exactly.

attach power/usb and then after 5 secs remove the power and move the HDD slightly - if you feel an intertia pull due to the rotational, it means the HDD is spinning up.

In this case, shuck the HDD and connect to SATA directly - assuming this is seagate, will have SATA inside unlike WD USB powered which doesnt

I use my pc for around 7-8 hours everyday and recently due to the summers a lot of times electricity goes off almost everyday. So I thought instead of locking the pc during idle times how safe is it to put it by default into sleep mode.
As all the components stay powered off so I think there's a minimal risk esp. hard drives.
Just need some clarification on this.

I use my pc for around 7-8 hours everyday and recently due to the summers a lot of times electricity goes off almost everyday. So I thought instead of locking the pc during idle times how safe is it to put it by default into sleep mode.
As all the components stay powered off so I think there's a minimal risk esp. hard drives.
Just need some clarification on this.
Many motherboards nowadays have a feature where even after powering off the system using OS shutdown command the usb ports still remain in active state delivering power for scenarios like where some power bank/charging device is connected. On some mobos this feature can be turned off but not on other mobos. For internal drives this is not an issue but for usb powered drives it is an issue.

Many motherboards nowadays have a feature where even after powering off the system using OS shutdown command the usb ports still remain in active state delivering power for scenarios like where some power bank/charging device is connected. On some mobos this feature can be turned off but not on other mobos. For internal drives this is not an issue but for usb powered drives it is an issue.
Referring to internal not external storage.

Back