CPU/Mobo Sata port not working properly, should I RMA?

tejo

Disciple
Hi,
I have a asus p5w dh mobo, the first master sata port is not working properly

If a hdd is connected to that port, i cannot install windows on it, it just hangs while detecting drives, cant copy data, the data is transferred real slow(computer also lags while copying) and then the drive disappears from the computer..

I've tried the foll for a possible solution..
using xp/vista problem occours in both os...
sata as ide and also in ahci mode, problem still persists.
different drives, all have problem on the same port...
updating bios, made no difference.
different sata cables

i've had this problem for a long time, but I didnt do anything as I didnt have many drives, I am planning on getting a new drive, and that is the only port left on the motherboard to attach the drive to.. i keep getting the message 'no master hdd detected press f1 to continue' while booting each time, i've coped with that for all this time..

what should i go around doing next, should I rma it? the distributor is neoteric and I have warranty till nov 09 i guess, is the rma process easy?, i had read somewhere that high end board customers will get immediate replacement, is that true? does rashi replace neoteric supplied boards?

I think u wud get immediate replacement, since urs is a higher end board. RMA it buddy. Seems to be a serious issue.

FYI, even if a single usb port is malfunctioning u have all the right to RMA it. But ur mobo shud not have any burns or any physical defects which will be prejuducial to ur right to claim warranty.

Good luck on ur replacement board....

logically when we have an issue with some hardware, the basic thing is to RMA it. In ur case its "Rashi" and hence the second thought comes to mind. There are mixed stories about RMA from Rashi with some good ones coming lately...however there is nothing like "premium board" and "faster rma" for the high end boards.....but yes, if they have the same board in stock then u might even get replacement on the spot.

If u dont want to go thru the entire thing, you can invest in a 4 port Sata PCI card.

Your motherboard wont be replaced. First they would try if they can repair it. If not, then a replacement would be given. And replacement is only if similar board is in stock or else they would give you some other board option which would be lower end then what you had. Yes this was my experience with Asus AGP but later i stuck with my point of getting similar performance card only or else give me my money.

Again confirm that the replacement is of a new or refurbished board.

So should I goto rashi for rma or not? The port works sometimes and sometimes it doesnt... I had a friend over yesterday I connected his brand new drive to that port and the hdd disappeared while copying but worked properly on another port.. today i connected my drive just to check and its working properly... will rashi check if the port is faulty before replacing it? or how much does a 4 port sata card cost?

IMO if you have time go for the RMA. Why use a faulty product ?

But be very specific about the problem with them when you give for RMA.

Asus has a 3 year warranty on motherboards.

if u have a spare mobo for the downtime u will face then give it....but then be prepared to get ur board back without anything done on it...

i.e. if u give the board for repairs , INSIST that the engineer there check it in ur presence and ensure that u can show the problem. Because if u just check the board in for RMA and then when the engineer tests it , if the problem doesnt occur and the hdd gets detected then ur gonna get the mobo back saying "no problem found/detected"....so RMA it but ensuring the problem re-surfaces when u check-in the mobo.

do like this.

1st find out a board which is more or less equalent to your current board. Then take ur board there. Ask them to test it. If u proved that it is faulty, they will give u a refurbished board. If its not available they will give you diff. board. Find out from the TE members whether it is equal to the board which u have RMAed. IF it is lesser, then demand the board which u have in ur mind.
If its not possible for them to give u the demanded board, claim refund.

On the other hand, if the board works on the day when u took it to RMA, then ask them to keep it and check it periodically. Leave the board with them and come after 2 or 3 days and test it again in their presence.

Hope this works....

Back