Storage Solutions Sata hdd windows xp installation

deadskin

Disciple
Hi friends!!!

Was using IDE HDD wid AMD processor supported mobo... ( GEFORCE series motherboards) purchased back in 2006... recently my IDE HDD crashed... I went for SATA seagate 500GB HDD by observing SATA slots on my mobo ... but failing to install win xp ....

Installation is stuck at setup is starting windows .....
please provide suggestions.... to get rid of this problem

AMD MOBO SATA HDD OS installation

Hi friends!!!

Was using IDE HDD wid AMD processor supported mobo... ( GEFORCE series motherboards) purchased back in 2006... recently my IDE HDD crashed... I went for SATA seagate 500GB HDD by observing SATA slots on my mobo ... but failing to install win xp ....

Installation is stuck at setup is starting windows .....
please provide suggestions.... to get rid of this problem

Re: AMD MOBO SATA HDD OS installation

You need to have a Floppy drive, blank Floppy and Motherboard disk.

First boot from the motherboard CD and create the driver disk (Just check the multiple options, you'll see once you boot using the motherboard CD). The procedure is straight forward. Just put the floppy in the drive, check the option in the screen and within few minutes you are done.

Next you got to put that floppy in the drive, before the Win XP setup starts. Once the file copying starts, keep pressing F6. Read all the instructions carefully.

Next you got to press 'S'. This way windows setup will read the SATA disk drivers from the floppy and the setup will continue from there.

it is GA-K8N51PVMT-9 nVidia GeForce 6150/nForxe 430 socket 939

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY OPTIMISED FOR AMD ATHLON 64 PROCESSOR FAMILY

ALSO WRITTEN SATA AT 3GB/S ---

actually i m a newbie in this troubleshooting area...

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

installing windows xp professional sp2

1. I think config bios in the section of SATA in Normal Mode, NOT RAID mode, should work without any Driver to boot and detect HDD.

2. Also check the mb support for 500gb capacity

@

Vasishta.Sushant

motherboard CD contains drivers for SATA but when i boot the system with that it is directly opening xpress recovery window with two options BACKUP & REBOOT

upon clicking BACKUP it is saying no windows OS in HDD

@gcbeldar

in BIOS mode HDD is detected ....

or just put the SATA drives in IDE mode in the bios. Install windows, and then the SATA drivers, and then put the drives back in ACHI mode in the bios.
No need to bother with making a driver disc, or slipstreaming windows.

@deadskin.. Dude you are running two thread for same problem...

http://www.techenclave.com/cpu-mobo-corner/amd-mobo-sata-hdd-os-installation-173905.html#post1586397

Which mobo model is it exactly? Which chipset? you can see the model no. written on the mobo itself. If it supports SATA controller natively then you need to run it under IDE mode in BIOS. (as suggested above). Look for SATA Controller Run mode in BIOS setting. There you will find the option for IDE mode. If its not there then you have to slipstream or use floppy drive...

@deadskin: while u install xp, it prompts to press F6 to install sata/raid drivers. So do so and insert your mobo cd and the floppy you might have got with it.

which motherboard do you have?
does the installation give you any error messages? if it fails to install on your hdd, it'll give you an error like hdd not found or something...it won't just hang.
What's the rest of your config?

nothing working .... neither F6 option nor slipstream...

no floppy with motherboard .... downloaded drivers from gigabyte website with reference with mobo model number but in vain.....

tired now planning to exchange SATA 500GB for IDE 160GB

motherboard details:- model no. GA-K8N51PVMT-9 nVidia GeForce 6150/nForxe 430 socket 939

GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY OPTIMISED FOR AMD ATHLON 64 PROCESSOR FAMILY

^.. You are doing something wrong since this mobo supports SATA controller natively... Check BIOS settings & try another XP disc... Also see your manual for settings...

^^ No sata settings in bios ... SATA RAID Settings are there.... which I checked both ways by enabling and disabling... but no luck

some success .... tried slipstream ---- integrated drivers of nvidia chipset from gigabyte for mobo model number.by nlite...

then seen nvidia sata raid drivers loaded from xp cd.... but stuck at setup is starting windows....

any advice...further

Back