Android Samsung's "upto 50% data saving" phones a gimmick?

iPwnz

Brutally Honest
Skilled
Well is it genuine or just a marketing gimmick?
I'm aware that it clearly says upto but I'd like to know.
One way which i know will save some data is turning off images and using opera mini lol. :p

Technically, its not a gimmick. However, how much data can be saved by compressing video/audio/etc is questionable. That's why its upto 50%, maybe?

It must be similar to Opera (mini) you mentioned, that browser also has data saving - I think Android/Chrome might have it too. Basically a proxy server is configured and all URL/HTTP etc requests go via the proxy which first fetches the actual data, then compresses it and sends it back to your phone/browser.[DOUBLEPOST=1452943184][/DOUBLEPOST]I think it mostly works with images, compressing them (and reducing the quality) - I doubt these things are able to save data on things like video streaming.[DOUBLEPOST=1452943251][/DOUBLEPOST]And note that web servers like Apache httpd already have compression features for sending the HTTP TEXT data for webpages, markup language, scripts etc so that is usually already compressed anyway (but not much savings compared to image compression)

Last edited:
+1 to what @vishalrao said. Actually, images and the likes are not compressed, but the quality is reduced, and it is usually not visible on the small screen. But blow it up to 100% and do a side by side comparison vs original, and the difference is noticeable. Also, some proprietary technology may be used, but I cant be sure.

Back