Samsung Wave S8500 India release

jithin_s said:
samsung wouldnt have got me and i firmly believe many others too, had it priced the wave in the 20-25k range... ;)
You are saying this because it has been priced so. As an example let's take the HTC Legend which retails around 23-25k and is selling quite well.

Samsung Wave vs HTC Legend

3.3" WVGA Super AMOLED vs 3.2" HVGA normal AMOLED

1GHz vs 600MHz processor

512 MB RAM vs 384MB RAM

1500mAh vs 1300mAh

Bluetooth 3.0 vs 2.0

Wi-Fi b/g/ n vs Wi-Fi b/g

800x480 resolution vs 320x480

Apart from this, you got inbuilt multi-touch, Wi-Fi tethering, AllShare (stream directly from Windows 7 based PC to your computer via the router), HD video recording, video playback of almost all formats and a 800x480 screen

Only thing the Legend has is "Android". Wave's got pretty useful apps too and Android is no way as polished as iPhone OS at this point. It will be soon but Wave's BADA OS is much much better at this point. And from what I've seen from Samsung, they are not going to give up on BADA OS halfway after spending so much time and resources on it.

All in all, worth much more.

@soumalidon

Even i got this error some times will starting huge apps like Bruce Lee etc . i think it is a firmware issue

gaidu said:
@soumalidon

Even i got this error some times will starting huge apps like Bruce Lee etc . i think it is a firmware issue
i hope they fix this issue :( apparently the new S7230E Wave 723 will be running bada 1.1 so we should be seeing a update for the wave too :)

soumalidon said:
i hope they fix this issue :( apparently the new S7230E Wave 723 will be running bada 1.1 so we should be seeing a update for the wave too :)
First paid apps in India and then this memory issue .. samsung should really come up fast with solution else they loose edge for smart phone market over nokia in India since N8 launching nxt month which has got much hype just like wave

@ Soumalidon

Even i face that memory issue sometimes where as earliar when i was on the JF2 firmware i rarely faced those issues ,,,

@ Escaflowe

Did the front panel break so easily ? from what height it fell and on what ?

@sujithbvm it fell on the sharp edge of my table from 3 feet.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Spoke to Samsung Customer Care.They are charging 5500 for the replacement.It comes along with LCD screen.Glass is not available separately.:(:(:(

Guys ....can anyone of you check with your local service center for the price of Replacement Screen.It will will be very useful other members also.

Sei said:
You are saying this because it has been priced so. As an example let's take the HTC Legend which retails around 23-25k and is selling quite well.

Only thing the Legend has is "Android". Wave's got pretty useful apps too and Android is no way as polished as iPhone OS at this point. It will be soon but Wave's BADA OS is much much better at this point. And from what I've seen from Samsung, they are not going to give up on BADA OS halfway after spending so much time and resources on it.

everyone who has a look at this phone will surely say its a 25k category phone..
but when they realize the actual price to be 17k, people are well, shocked!

the only reason for this low price is because Samsung wants to promote bada.. and they seemed to have surely won the battle out here.. a million waves sold in a month itself..

to say that htc legend is selling well would not be quite right.. it is seeling ok, but not as much as the wave.. the understated price of the wave is a big factor for its amazing sales..

The thin plastic film on the camera unit of my Wave is slowly peeling off. Anybody else has faced this issue? Wonder what should be done because if the film comes off totally camera glass will be unprotected and prone to scratches.

Seems there is shortage of Waves in the market. Univercell site now says 'This product is not for sale at this time'. Another dealer also said the same thing about shortage.

My friend works in Samsung, he and his colleagues got a Wave as bonus (instead of cash)

Guys what are you using to read ebooks on wave ??

Dhanan said:
The thin plastic film on the camera unit of my Wave is slowly peeling off. Anybody else has faced this issue? Wonder what should be done because if the film comes off totally camera glass will be unprotected and prone to scratches.

Seems there is shortage of Waves in the market. Univercell site now says 'This product is not for sale at this time'. Another dealer also said the same thing about shortage.
same here.. thats plastics just temporary.. it will peel off after some time for everyone.. and i suppose, the only way to protect that would be using some leather cases or the expensive invisible shields and stuff..

i heard they are updating the firmware of the wave to a newer version.. so the stocks are short.. new phones will come with the new firmware or so.. this is what i heard..

Spoke to Samsung Customer Care.They are charging 5500 for the replacement.It comes along with LCD screen.Glass is not available separately.:(:(:(

aw... that's bad, if you don't mind can you upload and send me the links???

Guys ....can anyone of you check with your local service center for the price of Replacement Screen.It will will be very useful other members also.
[/QUOTE]

iam going to SVC on thursday, will let you know.

Re: Samsung Wave S8500 India release??

Recently brought a wave can some one tell me where i can find themes for it as of now was only able to find 3-4 themes !!

Sei said:
Samsung Wave vs HTC Legend
3.3" WVGA Super AMOLED vs 3.2" HVGA normal AMOLED
1GHz vs 600MHz processor
512 MB RAM vs 384MB RAM
1500mAh vs 1300mAh
Bluetooth 3.0 vs 2.0
Wi-Fi b/g/ n vs Wi-Fi b/g
800x480 resolution vs 320x480

Apart from this, you got inbuilt multi-touch, Wi-Fi tethering, AllShare (stream directly from Windows 7 based PC to your computer via the router), HD video recording, video playback of almost all formats and a 800x480 screen

I have followed this thread very closely and initially was very excited about Samsung Wave. However, as time went by, I realized that going for an Andorid phone (such as HTC Legend) is a better choice if one is looking for a SMART-phone. Here’s why:

1. Everyone praises Wave’s beautiful screen, its fast processor etc. But without a community supported OS like Android, its all body beautiful minus soul. Wave is VERY good as a feature rich multimedia phone, but the state of Bada OS is a sorry affair, even today. Yes, the number of apps on Samsung store has increased, but what about quality. Most are fluff, useless and / or cheap imitations of less complicated Android apps. You can get amused by the SAMOLED screen only for so much time..after that, you will WANT to try various productivity & utility apps, games etc, the main reason for which someone purchases a smart phone costing 18k.
2. People say BADA will grow in months, but I don’t see any incentive. Android has already 100,000 plus published apps and while no one installs so much, undoubtedly it gives a tremendous variety. Should I keep on waiting for BADA apps store to grow? For how much time..? Rather I would want something AT PRESENT to play around with and Android gives me a readymade and huge playground.

3. Wave has sold really well thanks to its price, but that again does not automatically ensures BADA apps development, as its still just one device. Android apps, on the other hand, are developed to be used on multiple devices..Not to mention, Galaxy S, which is selling like hot cakes, already has Android, so developers who are even Samsung loyalists will choose a more popular n lucrative market of Android for exposure..

The thing is, I would really REALLY love to get Wave, especially when its selling at such competitive price, but absence of Android is the ultimate killer. I would spend 4-5k more and rather purchase HTC Legend, with AMOLED screen and amazingly intuitive Sense UI, which is arguably superior to TouchWiz. It also has muitl-touch and USB tethering. So I would advice a word of caution to anyone who wants to invest money into Wave at this point of time. It’s a BEST buy only if you want a FEATURE phone, and not a SMART-phone.

wordsmith said:
Here are the responses I got from Route 66 support:

Question:
On the Samsung maps application, when I choose "start navigation" it asks me to purchase license/enter voucher code, request your assistance with activating my one month free trial. Please let me know if you need anymore details.
##############################

Thanks for your information.
As the available information, if there is “Navigation” icon enabled in the main menu in SAMSUNG Wave, then customer should also have the free trial pre-activated licenses. However, I was not able to find the free license with your mobile (which should be bundled with mobile IMEI no.).
Please open navigation – more – settings – about, inform software version of SAMSUNG LBS, so that we will be able to check with SAMSUNG. Please note that the procedure will take time, and I will go back to you as soon as I get informed.
Besides, please also inform your country and where you purchased this phone. Thanks.
Kind regards

Question 2: Hi,
Did you get any updates from Samsung about this? Also, What are the charges for a lifetime subscription for India maps on route66?
#############################################

I got confirmed that the lifetime promotion of SAMSUNG LBS in SAMSUNG Wave will not be provided in India, due to there is no safety camera data of India, and the standard package of lifetime promotion is navigation plus the safety camera.
In order to use navigation by voice instruction after free trial, you will need to either purchase it on phone (navigation – more – download content – drive and walk – more drive and walk, find India and purchase it by credit card), or connect phone to PC, and run ROUTE 66 Sync on PC(can be free downloaded from ROUTE 66, the personal navigation pioneer ) to purchase it online.
Please let me know if you need further assistance.
Kind regards
Wordsmith can you give me the email/numbers of the support of Route66.

Anyone help me out with this?

creative420 said:
Hey peeps,

Just shifted to Bangalore and the time has come to chuck my CDMA phone. I've fixed my mind to go for Samsung Wave and I'm really glad to have found this thread. Now I need to ask couple of things from you guys:

1. I'll be going in for a new mobile connection, so which one is the best in terms of network reception (Reliance sucks where I work).
2. When you're suggesting my a mobile connection, also tell me what is the best plan to go for in terms of surfing and downloading the games. (Anyone using 3G on it?)
3. Which is the best place to buy it from in Bangalore? (Guess only Bangalore member could tell me.)
4. Tell me for how long you've been using it and your experience in a nutshell.

It'll be great if you guys can help me out ASAP. Need to be done away with this CDMA and plus boss is harassing me everyday to get a local connection. :p

Cheers,

D

Back