Samsung Google Galaxy Nexus

What I like:

1. Large and beautiful display. Having used iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 before that, I feel the large screen is super.
2. Value for money.
3. Pure Android. Jellybean is super smooth.
4. Google Now blows Siri out of the ring. The voice commands and navigation is just plain awesome and works great.
5. Looks stunning and beautiful (I bought the white one)

What I don't like:

1. Ordinary camera
2. Average battery

It has a Google branding on the back ,in this case there is no competition with other smartphones in terms of hardware specs but the game is of the software here. You get vanilla android experience and best Dev support and just receive latest updates on time.I am on 4.1.2 currently.Regarding specs no app can utilize more than 2 cores as of today unless you are a gamer,but again i can play every game that is available on play store ;)

Did you get the OTA or you flashed 4.1.2 manually? If yes, how and from where?

i can do it with any sammy or HTC phone which runs latest android version. almost all smart phones out there have latest software update support from the third party developers...i am not blaming or degrading google nexus , but u name a software/ feature or any bug no matter what, we do get support isnt it ?its just a matter of time few of us are behind this device & they want to stay ahead in terms of software updates ???if u say best performance at such a low price, i have plenty of chinese smart devices which gives a jolt for the high end phones in terms of looks, performance & price....i am sure we all have heard about them....my point is just that there is nothing to die for this device to own it, of course it is subjective feeling that this phone is best & the others are not so good.... i just spilled the beans about what i feel. suggestions/ corrections are always welcomed. pls dont feel bad, i am not writing this to invite anyone for quarrelling on a particular issue.... just want to know more about this.

- - - Updated - - -
@Nalin: as told by u, cyanogen gave u the updates, not google. like for nexus, many other top end devices also received latest updates from nightly builds...
4" is the basic screen size now for many top end smart phones...
HD screen is there in many devices, infact retina display is more appealing than the AMOLED & SLCD HD display right ?
any other thing u name it nexus has & the rest dont have.... i think the answer is none...

i am just pointing it out what all features are standard & i also agree that google is a great company & it has produced one of the best & first phones like nexus & innovated android. i am saying this after using so many android devices like HTC, SGS II, Iphone 4 .

any suggestions/corrections to my above statements are always welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned Samsung's Galaxy S2 and it was always behind (even as long as 6 months) w.r.t Android updates. Does S3 have Jelly Bean yet? (not sure, just asking).

Also with the Samsung crap that was there on S2, I felt like it was a PC laptop with manufacturer's bloatware versus getting a Mac.

Sure I could always flash other firmwares, but I am talking about the cases where folks either don't know how to or don't want to.

Nalin: as told by u, cyanogen gave u the updates, not google. like for nexus, many other top end devices also received latest updates from nightly builds...
HD screen is there in many devices, infact retina display is more appealing than the AMOLED & SLCD HD display right ?
any other thing u name it nexus has & the rest dont have.... i think the answer is none...

i am just pointing it out what all features are standard & i also agree that google is a great company & it has produced one of the best & first phones like nexus & innovated android. i am saying this after using so many android devices like HTC, SGS II, Iphone 4 .

You are not getting my point are you ? I am saying that we are not comparing it with any other high end phone in terms of hardware specs , Infact google has released the source code of 4.1.2 and it's just a matter of time that official update will be there popping in the notifications.For instance name any phone which is running JB despite Note II .The game is for software here not hardware. ;)

#plikmuny

You're somewhat right in saying that other than fast official updates the Nexus devices don't offer much extra over other devices and it's more about bragging rights.

But there are people (and a lot of them) who just buy an android phone and use it without rooting or flashing and who wait for the official updates.

As for people who do root the dev support for Nexus devices is huge even long after release but so is for other flagship models.

i can do it with any sammy or HTC phone which runs latest android version. almost all smart phones out there have latest software update support from the third party developers...i am not blaming or degrading google nexus , but u name a software/ feature or any bug no matter what, we do get support isnt it ?its just a matter of time few of us are behind this device & they want to stay ahead in terms of software updates ???if u say best performance at such a low price, i have plenty of chinese smart devices which gives a jolt for the high end phones in terms of looks, performance & price....i am sure we all have heard about them....my point is just that there is nothing to die for this device to own it, of course it is subjective feeling that this phone is best & the others are not so good.... i just spilled the beans about what i feel. suggestions/ corrections are always welcomed. pls dont feel bad, i am not writing this to invite anyone for quarrelling on a particular issue.... just want to know more about this.

- - - Updated - - -
Nalin: as told by u, cyanogen gave u the updates, not google. like for nexus, many other top end devices also received latest updates from nightly builds...

Chinese or Samsung. I know what I would choose. Google confirmed today that they will be rolling out 4.1.2 by end of this month. Retina display is a marketing term not scientific. As far as better displays are concerned, HTC One X has the best display. At the end nothing matters, you should buy what you like. There are 4-5k devices that do almost all the things that S3/Nexus or iPhone can do.

ok, so you people are concerned only with the software updates... i mean how quick you get it is all that matters for you....fine then, i have no words to to discuss further.... i didnt know that you are all developers... ok guys, i buy what i like, & u buy what u like. my mistake that i commented here. didnt know that i dont have my right to speak off my opinion in public forums...enjoy.... Google Nexus is greatest phone which stays ahead in terms of software updates... rest all are lagging behind. not doing well with their current software versions whatever they come up with factory settings... agreed

ok, so you people are concerned only with the software updates... i mean how quick you get it is all that matters for you....fine then, i have no words to to discuss further.... i didnt know that you are all developers... ok guys, i buy what i like, & u buy what u like. my mistake that i commented here. didnt know that i dont have my right to speak off my opinion in public forums...enjoy.... Google Nexus is greatest phone which stays ahead in terms of software updates... rest all are lagging behind. not doing well with their current software versions whatever they come up with factory settings... agreed

I am not getting the point which you are trying to prove :23:eek:r you are saying that other phones have better specs than Nexus at lesser price.

Finally you have seen the light. You don't have an opinion. Whatever takes you through the night...

They have sealed boxes, but some may be opened to show off the phone. The guy at the counter opened a sealed black and white piece to show me the phone. I bought the black. You might find some unsealed pieces, but they're all unused.

I am not getting the point which you are trying to prove or you are saying that other phones have better specs than Nexus at lesser price.
thats what exactly i mean. why do u people pay more for the proprietary device ? i mean for the brand name ?all we want is to spend our hard earned money to be put into more practical uses like performances exclusively... will be delivered if we choose them wisely.i can give you some names of those devices which will definitely give a run for these top end smartphones if you like... otherwise no issues.... u enjoy. its ur money, u can spend it as ur wish...

thats what exactly i mean. why do u people pay more for the proprietary device ? i mean for the brand name ?all we want is to spend our hard earned money to be put into more practical uses like performances exclusively... will be delivered if we choose them wisely.i can give you some names of those devices which will definitely give a run for these top end smartphones if you like... otherwise no issues.... u enjoy. its ur money, u can spend it as ur wish...

What are you blathering about.

Nexus devices are like Apple iPhones (only w.r.t. to updates). Most developers like to tinker with them. They sport hardware that is good to go for the next two-to-three iterations of Android so anybody wanting to buy anything cheaper can look at the hardware specifications and compare them and buy and equivalent OR cheaper device (at their discretion).

After this it is upto the user whichever device she / he wants.

I would like to know the options that are as good as the Nexus and are cheaper.

Back