Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic LTE 46m for 18k on Amazon

This is purely personal. I bought a watch classic when it was released. I lovvvvveed it... for about 2 weeks. Gave it to my business partner, and never looked at a smart watch till someone gave me an apple watch, which I fell in love with... before I broke up with it.

I returned it with more love than what it was given it to me with.

Then another business partner gifted the Samsung W4 Classic. And one week later, the story repeats itself.

So, essentially, I Love the 'idea' of smartwatches, but for me the battery life is an essential no go. I love watches, and after having used solar, mechanical, and the usual watches with 10 year battery life, these are a pain.

End of Rant.

TLDR: If you like smartwatches, then it is a wonderful deal. Beware of the battery life. You might have to charge it each night depending on your use.

Here's my review of the Samsung Galaxy Watch 4 Classic LTE 46mm. I had pre-ordered this. Features needed by me in descending order of importance: LTE functionality (make and receive calls), heart rate(HR) monitoring, fitness tracking and sleep tracking.

I didn't want to carry my phone while cycling, swimming, running, badminton and to the gym. I could make use of the LTE feature to receive/make calls for any important stuff. Along with this, I could track my workouts as well. While working out, I could pair my WF-100 XM4 TWS directly to my Watch and play/stream songs from Spotify. Earlier, I would lose connection as my phone would be lying in one part of the gym and I'd be in the opposite end (don't like keeping my phone in my pocket as chances of damaging it is high while working out). Even while running/walking, no need to hold the phone in the hand or have it flopping in pockets.

Coming to fitness tracking. I'd say it does it to my satisfaction. It could be tracking my route while cycling, strokes while swimming, it does it pretty well. HR tracking while a workout is in progess is good. I can track my recovery and highest HR. Overall, I'd rate it 8/10. Sometimes, it takes a while (recently, it was after 10kms after start) to latch onto the GPS after starting "Cycling" workout. Sleep tracking is alright I guess. I just see what time I slept and my HR throughout the sleep cycle. If you want to know how accurate it is, watch this:

Coming to the battery life. Before going ahead, here are the settings that I use (that have a direct effect on the battery life, YMMV):
  • Always connected to a mobile network, mobile network is turned OFF
  • Always ON GPS
  • Brightness set to AUTO
  • All gestures OFF. No lift to wake
  • Automatic workout recognition ON
  • Sleep tracking ON, snore OFF
  • HR measurement ALWAYS ON (there's an option to set it at 10min intervals but a recent update showed no difference in battery consumption for both modes)
  • Stress OFF
I charge it to 100% the previous night before sleeping. Get up with 80% charge remaining (see table below). If its a sedate day, at the end of it, I'll have around 50% remaining. If I have a 1/2 hour of workout, it'll be at 20-30%. Playing downloaded Spotify songs to my TWS while gymming sees around 15-20% battery drop in an hour. I have never streamed songs via mobile data. So, yeah, I charge the watch every single day and it takes a while to charge to 100%, around 1 to 1.5 hours from ~20%. This is kinda slow.

Once, I had turned on mobile data LTE and forgot to turn it off and battery dropped to 20% at around 2 in the afternoon (was at 75% in the morning). One more issue is with Google Maps. You cannot initiate/have navigation solely on the watch. Not sure if this is an issue with Google or Samsung. Kinda bummed with this as navigation only with the watch is possible with Apple iWatch.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase as it suits my needs. I'd rate it 9/10. Do note that I paid 37k for this, early adopter tax. At 18k, I'd say it's an immediate buy for me! :D

Also, the bezel protects the screen. Many times, my watch has brushed/bumped unintentionally against a wall or table edge and all the brunt was borne by the bezel. So, classic >> normal

Battery Percentage consumedNumber of hours of sleep
12-14%<=4 hours
15%-20%<=6 hours
25%<=8 hours

@soulweaver Thanks for your inputs.
Any other Galaxy Watch 4 owner who would like to share their long term review?
I've had the 44mm LTE since Oct. I mainly brought it for sleep tracking and BP measurement.

I immediately swapped the default band with a woven one as it was more breathable.

Battery life is good but you need to charge it at the right time, especially if you want sleep tracking. I charge the watch everytime I'm at my desk. I found the sleep tracking to be a bit off and found an article comparing different brands.

1676130566351.png

BP measurements were somewhat ok but you need to calibrate the watch periodically which requires a BP machine.

Taking calls on the watch when my phone ran out charge was great. You can even connect BT earphones to it and take calls, but after 5-10 mins it will overheat and disconnect.

I once had a buggy app update on my phone which had me reset the watch, so thats one possible issue.

Recently I managed to sideload google wallet which lets you add cards and pay with your watch via NFC. You need to complete a payment within an hour after sideloaing otherwise the app disappears.

I also got mine for 18k so the classic at that price is a good deal.

Back