Android Samsung Galaxy S4 - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really thought the octa core would give a significant battery improvement.. I hope Samsung really does something regarding the battery issue or at least in the next phones...

I really thought the octa core would give a significant battery improvement.. I hope Samsung really does something regarding the battery issue or at least in the next phones...
Well, I don't know anyone knows it or not.. But the current firmwares and kernels for Galaxy S4 are not mature enough to make use of it's legendary hardware set. Firmwares and Kernels are like in beta or pre-release stage. May be they wanted to launch the phone as soon as possible to gain market shares. But I hope (and I am sure) they will release some major firmware upgrade that will fix battery drain issues + the lags they are experiencing so far..

I have been constantly working on reducing memory footprints of all the system applications which will result less lag and very small sized ROM. I have written a script that automates it.. I hope my experiment will show some good results.. :D

Samsung will probably tell that for battery issues, you always have option of buying additional battery, that's why it is user replaceable.
Like they said in memory issue, to go and buy MicroSD card.
And forgive my lack of knowledge but how does adding more cores improve battery life ? Shouldn't it be other way around ?

It's the Kernel. An update to the latest Linux kernel will hopefully solve battery and performance (yes, there's more performance to be squeezed out) as the kernel will then be able to recognize different cores (of different performance levels). I really feel bad about owners facing lag. This is a 40k device, with an advertised 8 core device, lag shouldn't even be in its dictionary!

I hate to admit this but this is what transpired when I went to Reliance Digital and got a good look at the GALAXY S4 and XPERIA Z:
  • I didn't find the Xperia Z design all that great. And it's too big. The Galaxy S4 fits so perfectly in the hand, and not once did I feel like the design was bad, unlike all the previous notions that I had about this device.
  • The display on the Xperia Z gave natural colors, check, but sadly I decided to check out the Galaxy S4 first. "Sadly" because the Galaxy S4 display was so vivid and colorful and lifelike with the colors popping out so well that I just didn't feel like staring at the Xperia Z display for another second. Add to that the brilliant screen characteristics (viewing angles, text feels printed, bright and lively) and the fact that the Xperia Z viewing angle problem is indeed PATHETIC (I'm sorry but I'm being downright frank here).
  • Software wise, TouchWIZ isn't as bad as people percieve it to be. Samsung seriously needs to lose the ANNOYING GREEN COLOR THEME and those CARTOONY ICONS and DULL BLUE BACKGROUND. Please Samsung, revise TouchWIZ if you're not going to revise the hardware design.
  • The handset HEATS UP like HELL. It gets SOOO HOT!

Raks that is just ridiculous. Samsung will never tell you to buy additional batteries. It's not the same as buying an SD card. Turning into a Samsung troll are we?

There are 2 quad cores as part of the octa core. The slower one for regular tasks and a faster one for more demanding applications. The slower one consumes less power and in theory should consume less battery, thereby improving overall battery life.

@comp@ddict

In your quest to find a perfect smartphone, i am pretty sure that once you find one (as per you), immediately something will be announced and your hands will start itching to get that new device because it will then become perfect. It is a never ending cycle.[DOUBLEPOST=1369808418][/DOUBLEPOST]
Raks that is just ridiculous. Samsung will never tell you to buy additional batteries. It's not the same as buying an SD card. Turning into a Samsung troll are we?

Ok

Last edited by a moderator:
It's the Kernel. An update to the latest Linux kernel will hopefully solve battery and performance (yes, there's more performance to be squeezed out) as the kernel will then be able to recognize different cores (of different performance levels). I really feel bad about owners facing lag. This is a 40k device, with an advertised 8 core device, lag shouldn't even be in its dictionary!

I hate to admit this but this is what transpired when I went to Reliance Digital and got a good look at the GALAXY S4 and XPERIA Z:
  • I didn't find the Xperia Z design all that great. And it's too big. The Galaxy S4 fits so perfectly in the hand, and not once did I feel like the design was bad, unlike all the previous notions that I had about this device.
  • The display on the Xperia Z gave natural colors, check, but sadly I decided to check out the Galaxy S4 first. "Sadly" because the Galaxy S4 display was so vivid and colorful and lifelike with the colors popping out so well that I just didn't feel like staring at the Xperia Z display for another second. Add to that the brilliant screen characteristics (viewing angles, text feels printed, bright and lively) and the fact that the Xperia Z viewing angle problem is indeed PATHETIC (I'm sorry but I'm being downright frank here).
  • Software wise, TouchWIZ isn't as bad as people percieve it to be. Samsung seriously needs to lose the ANNOYING GREEN COLOR THEME and those CARTOONY ICONS and DULL BLUE BACKGROUND. Please Samsung, revise TouchWIZ if you're not going to revise the hardware design.
  • The handset HEATS UP like HELL. It gets SOOO HOT!

Exactly. The current kernel is based on 3.4.5 which does not really step between both the quads efficiently which cause more battery drain instead. This should be fixed in next patches and I am sure Samsung is working on that. Linux Kernel 3.8 fixes this issue. If developers compile kernels with 3.8+ sources (or Linaro builds) phone will definitely be lag free and more battery efficient.. Being a new processor in market, this is definitely the thing that would have surely happened. They wanted to release the phone earlier because of the competition (Xperia Z and HTC One) hence they released phone with lower level kernel that actually does not support big.little stepping. As far as I know Samsung's strategy, since they have achieved what they wanted (sold like millions of devices :p). They will concentrate on performance optimization. Kernel 3.8 and 3.9 sources are already out so they have all the ingredients. What they need is put some manpower and release an update that contains one of these kernels.

About TouchWiz color thing.. You will find it funny but for Eclair 2.1, Froyo and Gingerbread, they had blue color theme while AOSP had green. After ICS, they changed it to green and AOSP changed color to blue :p. It always has been like this :p I also find icons cartonish but they are much better than what we had with TouchWiz 3.0 and less.

Exactly. The current kernel is based on 3.4.5 which does not really step between both the quads efficiently which cause more battery drain instead. This should be fixed in next patches and I am sure Samsung is working on that. Linux Kernel 3.8 fixes this issue. If developers compile kernels with 3.8+ sources (or Linaro builds) phone will definitely be lag free and more battery efficient..
Linux Kernel 3.5 onwards have big.Little Support with all major issues sorted out. As far as performance issues and battery life in concerned its partly because of the CPU-hotplug latency due to creation, teardown, and migration of the per-CPU kthreads that carry out housekeeping tasks for various kernel subsystems ( which is something a good scheduler should handle ).

Exactly. The current kernel is based on 3.4.5 which does not really step between both the quads efficiently which cause more battery drain instead. This should be fixed in next patches and I am sure Samsung is working on that. Linux Kernel 3.8 fixes this issue. If developers compile kernels with 3.8+ sources (or Linaro builds) phone will definitely be lag free and more battery efficient.. Being a new processor in market, this is definitely the thing that would have surely happened. They wanted to release the phone earlier because of the competition (Xperia Z and HTC One) hence they released phone with lower level kernel that actually does not support big.little stepping. As far as I know Samsung's strategy, since they have achieved what they wanted (sold like millions of devices :p). They will concentrate on performance optimization. Kernel 3.8 and 3.9 sources are already out so they have all the ingredients. What they need is put some manpower and release an update that contains one of these kernels.

About TouchWiz color thing.. You will find it funny but for Eclair 2.1, Froyo and Gingerbread, they had blue color theme while AOSP had green. After ICS, they changed it to green and AOSP changed color to blue :p. It always has been like this :p I also find icons cartonish but they are much better than what we had with TouchWiz 3.0 and less.

Yep, Android 4.3 update should come out a month and half after Google officially releases it, perhaps on June 10th (rumors). Maybe Samsung moves to the newer Linux Kernel 3.8 because that version does support the big.LITTLE design better. There's a HP Max mode which allows all 8 cores to be active for maximum performance (read on Wikipedia), but seeing that the phone has serious heat up issues, doubt that will ever happen.

Didn't know Samsung was playing color dance with AOSP :p

Linux Kernel 3.5 onwards have big.Little Support with all major issues sorted out. As far as performance issues and battery life in concerned its partly because of the CPU-hotplug latency due to creation, teardown, and migration of the per-CPU kthreads that carry out housekeeping tasks for various kernel subsystems ( which is something a good scheduler should handle ).
Maybe it is because CPU is shifting all the cores instead of pairs. I would like to see if somebody comes up with IKS implementation in existing kernel.

Yep, Android 4.3 update should come out a month and half after Google officially releases it, perhaps on June 10th (rumors). Maybe Samsung moves to the newer Linux Kernel 3.8 because that version does support the big.LITTLE design better. There's a HP Max mode which allows all 8 cores to be active for maximum performance (read on Wikipedia), but seeing that the phone has serious heat up issues, doubt that will ever happen.

Didn't know Samsung was playing color dance with AOSP :p
Yes, we can activate all the cores in recent kernel versions. But that will be like overkill of cpu resources. We will never need that much power in near future.. But yes, people will still use that feature and do some benchmark showoffs :p

Yes, we can activate all the cores in recent kernel versions. But that will be like overkill of cpu resources. We will never need that much power in near future.. But yes, people will still use that feature and do some benchmark showoffs :p

What if we had an option to select which 4 cores to use. I mean, for almost EVERY day-to-day task like texting, whatsapp, calls, video (that's GPU rendering I guess), even light browsing can be done with relative EASE on the Cortex A7 cores. The difference would be barely noticeable in such light tasks. Imagine the amazing battery performance if this is true.

If we want to do something resource intensive or play a high end game, simply switch to the four A15 cores. Wonder if such an implementation would be possible. How's the idea btw?

Just got back from the Samsung Service Center (near Milan Subway, Mumbai).
Told them about all the issues I was facing -
- Device getting too hot 52d C+ while on a call/browsing the internet/gaming and also while charging)
- Distortion in voice over a bluetooth device
- Smearing in Text
- Disturbance in Earpiece while on a call

They said they would "update the software" but it seems to be the same version (kernel etc.)
They said they changed the binary software ??!!

Now the phone wont let me click a photo with the flash on - I keep getting this message "unable to turn on the flash. device temperature is too high"

Has anyone faced this issue ?

They are refusing to replace my phone!

Some one please advice what to do next.

What if we had an option to select which 4 cores to use. I mean, for almost EVERY day-to-day task like texting, whatsapp, calls, video (that's GPU rendering I guess), even light browsing can be done with relative EASE on the Cortex A7 cores. The difference would be barely noticeable in such light tasks. Imagine the amazing battery performance if this is true.

If we want to do something resource intensive or play a high end game, simply switch to the four A15 cores. Wonder if such an implementation would be possible. How's the idea btw?

Easily doable. In fact, it is in my to do list :p I am cooking my ROM first, then I will write Android application that will switch in between CPUs when needed. Ideally, well written governor (interactive) should do this job very efficiently. We will never need any app for that after IKS implementation. But just for testing and fun stuff, I am trying my hands on it :p

Seriously, with the kind of development that goes on with Samsung phones if you use the "their icons suck" argument there is no difference between you and person who buys an iDevice because they are 'pretty'. There are tons of Roms and tweaks/hacks that help you customize the look of your device.

Easily doable. In fact, it is in my to do list :p I am cooking my ROM first, then I will write Android application that will switch in between CPUs when needed. Ideally, well written governor (interactive) should do this job very efficiently. We will never need any app for that after IKS implementation. But just for testing and fun stuff, I am trying my hands on it :p

Wow really? That would be epic. I mean sometimes you don't play games on your phone for days. Using the A7 cores for all the time would probably extend battery life by 20%

Just got back from the Samsung Service Center (near Milan Subway, Mumbai).
Told them about all the issues I was facing -
- Device getting too hot 52d C+ while on a call/browsing the internet/gaming and also while charging)
- Distortion in voice over a bluetooth device
- Smearing in Text
- Disturbance in Earpiece while on a call

They said they would "update the software" but it seems to be the same version (kernel etc.)
They said they changed the binary software ??!!

Now the phone wont let me click a photo with the flash on - I keep getting this message "unable to turn on the flash. device temperature is too high"

Has anyone faced this issue ?

They are refusing to replace my phone!

Some one please advice what to do next.

And when I complained at the Reliance Showroom, the Samsung representative refused to listen to me when I said the phone is becoming REAL HOT. He said

"Sab phone hot hota hai, it's common"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back