Video Samsung 7 Series LCD TV or Sony W 550 ??

Hello friends ,
I am in big dilema over these two sets ...
I am looking for 40" LCD Tv .
Samsung 7 series LED LCD Tv's r out of picture since its edge lit ...
but 7 series LCD Tv's have 200+ motion flow+DLNA+USB Movie functions similar to LED series @ much lesser price...
Sony have100+Motion Flow ...
So which is better buy amongst these two ??
I'll be waiting till Diwali for price drop...

well the samsung has more features ,it does have the edge in motion resolution due to the 200hz,whether one can notice the increased motion resolution is subjective.it also gives u a more sharper look in animated movies and movies with digital CGI scenes.
the samsung however has inferior sound compared to the sony W550A,it contrast/black levels,viewing angles/color all vary depending on the panel u get like SPVA,AMVA,SMVA.
the sony price premuim in india is mainly due to higher import tax around 30 to 35%,where as the samsung is assembled in india hence only the lcd panel is taxed at 5%.
so buy a sony in the grey market where its cheaper by 10% to 20%.

Buying TV from grey market is huge risk for me , because of something goes wrong it would take another 2-3 years for me to collect same amount ...

And the tv's I mentioned have 10 bit panel or 8 bit??

And If I'm getting 46" 6 series LCD @ price of 40" W series , is it better option to go for??

abhifusion said:
Buying TV from grey market is huge risk for me , because of something goes wrong it would take another 2-3 years for me to collect same amount ...

And the tv's I mentioned have 10 bit panel or 8 bit??

And If I'm getting 46" 6 series LCD @ price of 40" W series , is it better option to go for??

well agreed that the grey market is a risk,but sony after all gives 1year warranty.
the sony has a 8bit panel,honesly i cannot find the difference b/w a 8bit and 10bit visualy.but i can find the difference b/w WCG-CCFL vs CCFL backlight,again preference is subjective.
now if u are getting a 46inch samsung 6 series for th price of a 40inch sony W series,they the samsung is a better deal.but the sony does have a the edge in upscaling and sound quality.

confusion confusion !

AFAIK Sony n Samsung both use same panels ,coming from their JV as S-LCD , and SPVA is best panel right?? Does that mean if panel version on Box is written as SQ01 then its S-PVA ?

I am expecting TV to run for atleast next 6-8 years !! so 10bit sounds future proof,also 200Hz motion flow ... Sound quality can be enhanced wid home theater , but upscaling is concern , as I dont see any HD channels coming to India anytime soon ...

wht to do man , I want it to be future proof as well as reliable ...

Abhi hardly any tv gets bad in a year...and your warranty remains of no use..and if its sony than also u 4get....i bought 29k 29 inch crt 3 yrs bak...and i hardly remmeber i ever call the chap.......so i guess i wasted 5k for just the warranty stuff...atmost u can do is play with limited settings....when ppl can mobile without bill which must b must(since we play with it alot)..its better to shift to tv without bill where we dont play much

MAGNeT said:
Abhi hardly any tv gets bad in a year...and your warranty remains of no use..and if its sony than also u 4get....i bought 29k 29 inch crt 3 yrs bak...and i hardly remmeber i ever call the chap.......so i guess i wasted 5k for just the warranty stuff...atmost u can do is play with limited settings....when ppl can mobile without bill which must b must(since we play with it alot)..its better to shift to tv without bill where we dont play much

those were CRT's bro ! My BPL 21" lasted 15 years !! :)
here more money is involved and m not that lucky with electronics , so dont want to take any risk :(
And we can get extended warranty from OEM isnt it??

smoky004 said:
So is it like a lottery system??
yep thats right.just like we had the lottery in dell 2007 monitor where once can either get a IPS panel or VA based panel.

abhifusion said:
confusion confusion !

AFAIK Sony n Samsung both use same panels ,coming from their JV as S-LCD , and SPVA is best panel right?? Does that mean if panel version on Box is written as SQ01 then its S-PVA ?

I am expecting TV to run for atleast next 6-8 years !! so 10bit sounds future proof,also 200Hz motion flow ... Sound quality can be enhanced wid home theater , but upscaling is concern , as I dont see any HD channels coming to India anytime soon ...

wht to do man , I want it to be future proof as well as reliable ...
well sony and samsung have a joint venture ,where they share the panels.but due to the demand,they use different panels from other lcd vendors.
sony for sure uses AMVA panels in their 37inch lcd & 40inch Z450A series,they use SPVA panel in 32inch W series etc.but what makes it different from samsung is that samsung uses one more called SMVA apart AMVA,SPVA.but unlike sony where lets say u take the 37inch S series which uses a AMVA all the people who buy the sony 37inch will get the exact same panel,where as in the samsung 37inch lcd like series 5 u can either get it with a AMVA or a SMVA.again a sony 32inch V series it looks like it has a AMVA ,where as in the samsung series 5 32inch u may either get a AMVA or SPVA or SMVA.
so this lottery goes ranges from 26inch lcd all the way upto 46inch lcd.
about 10bit to be honestly i couldn't tell the difference compared to a 8 bit panel,but once can notice the difference if they use a WCG-CCFL backlight vs regular CCFL backlight,again the color preference is subjective.

abhifusion said:

Very true, But when my Samsung LCD(bought from a showroom with bill) went kaput, The service folks replaced the entire panel with a new one without even asking for the warranty card or the bill.

cooldude_007 said:
Very true, But when my Samsung LCD(bought from a showroom with bill) went kaput, The service folks replaced the entire panel with a new one without even asking for the warranty card or the bill.

same they did for me when my series 650a went bad...

awesome service..

cooldude_007 said:

The stuff is that they mostly dont ask for bills but the manufacture date of the piece is enough for them to repair......With bill u have benefit of extension i.e

the piece is manufactured say in october(bought in december)..carrying a year warranty.....will make it repair without bill untill october after that bill is needed to claim your untill december stuff.....

This is what samsung lcd monitor repair guy told me ard 1 and half yesr bak...when i asked why he didnt asked for bill

MAGNeT said:

My experience is different (but with Onida Brand). Within Warranty TV need replacement of Part so when they offer me extended warranty, as precautions I took it & next day Mar-2005 (just after competing 3 yrs) need to call them & till today 2009 they just CAN'T fix it, the same part keep going kaput after every 365 days. The Onida TV set we purchased was Premium Range at that time :mad:

HTH

Emperor said:
My experience is different (but with Onida Brand). Within Warranty TV need replacement of Part so when they offer me extended warranty, as precautions I took it & next day Mar-2005 (just after competing 3 yrs) need to call them & till today 2009 they just CAN'T fix it, the same part keep going kaput after every 365 days. The Onida TV set we purchased was Premium Range at that time :mad:

HTH

Thats the reason.....About brand....Its always prefered to get a Sony.....nowadays samsung,panasonic and even LG to some extent.....

U hardly get wrong with a sony....

Another experience::This time regarding washing machine

National..Panasonic some international brand model i had with me.....at 11-12th year ...mices made some problem with its wiring......so we called an engineer from vikroli who used to work in godrej.......He repaired it and said u have got a piece worth to die for as u dont get such stuffs now....
He said he himself owns a fridge of Godrej which he bought in 1971 and it still works......But now he says godrej themselves make product which shdnt last or should start giving problem after 7 years of use.......

I sold that washing machine...and the dealer to whom i sold it still praises that the person to whom he passed is still happy with it......this story is of 2003-2004 i guess..talked to the dealer in 2008

the dealer bought the stuff from me for 1200 and passed it at 2200 i guess

Ok , I have decided to go with Samsung 7 Series LCD TV , but its not available in Pune yet , hope Stock comes till Diwali and prices also goes down ...

Shotgun is correct....... Croma does offer extended warranty of 2 yrs.........

I got an Samsung 7 Series LED TV 40" UA40B7000....... just love it...... awesome TV.....

Plus it can play most video formats thru its USB........ specially the divx, avi, mkv etc...... I hav connected a 500GB USB HDD to 1 of its USB ports fulltime......

According to me u should be able to play HD videos(.mkv) on ur HD TV...... otherwise whts the use of such a TV when u cant play HD content(i.e. without spending more cash on an HD player and HD DVD's which r not affordable)..

Sony doesnt offer video playback frm its USB ports....... only way to get those videos working on it is by connecting ur PC to it which is a lot of work IMO......

Samsung does release firmware for its TV's which adds more formats, content & fixes any bugs........ I myself hav updated twice and saw many more video files working now........

Upscaling is not an issue at all..... if u view the TV at the recommended distance...... u'll find both Samsung & Sony look same......

As for the sound quality...... Sony does better........but when ur buying such an expensive TV u will definitely buy a home theater system...... so this point is nullified...

My Verdict: Buy the Samsung 7 Series LED/LCD and u wont regret it!!!

yup... thanks all for your help !

@panzer008

Can TV play HD movies through USB Pen Drive??

because most of the showroom ppl told me it does not do so , its impossible ! lol

Back