Linux sabayon distro help

Hi guys,
I got sabayon linux with this month of pc world.
This is a live dvd so i decided to take a look and it was really very good.

But when i install it i am facing some prob:
1. When i have accessed it from live dvd it has asked me wether to use hardware acceleration for better graphics. but after installation it didn't asked & the effects has also reduced. i am having nvidia 7900gt GPU.

2. How to establish connection for bsnl dataone in sabayon.

Plz help

you will have to connect to internet, see what updates are there for your nvidia card & download them.
Although I have not used sabayon hence cannot say but if you have Gnome 2.18 and are on broadband router+modem or modem or just ethernet it is very easy. Go to System > Administration > Network although it makes sense if you have plugged in your modem/router or ethernet connection while installing. But anyways, it will show 2 wired connections, if you had ethernet or usb connected or whichever you connected that should show up as the first connection. In my case eth0 (eth = ethernet) . Click on Properties will show you Roaming mode, un-check that , put static IP Address of your router something like
IP Address 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway Address 192.168.1.1 ,

A simple way to find the correct values of your system is if you are on dual-boot then give ipconfig /all or just ipconfig either way you should get the values . Then go on to DNS Servers and give the DNS servers of your ISP providers or any other DNS provider. Make sure tht ipv6 is disabled atleast in firefox in the URL give about:config and when the filter is there, just give ipv6 the entry which comes up, just double-click it.
If everything went smoothly, try pinging your DNS server for starters something like :-

ping -c5 61.1.96.69 (this is one of the BSNL DNS server IP Address). In case if it is Airtel or some other ISP provider call them up and ask them for your DNS Server IP Address and enter them there. There would be 2, a preferred one and an alternate one. Give both.

if the ping is successful then try pinging something without the nos. like

ping -c5 Google

If this also comes good go to your browser and enjoy the Net. As far as updates are concerned, there should be some kind of Graphical update-manager in the System > Administration thing. Download stuff, look in forums, edit the repositories and in no time you will be a linux guru.

There is lot of excitement atm as X.org 7.3 is near completion, suffice to say very very interesting times ahead :)

Thanks shirish

i have solved the graphics prob

but the problem of connecting net still exists.

well i have downloaded a pppoe software for linux , it is a tar file.

plz can u tell me how to install it i mean how to install software in linux

Hardware freak,

Just as an off-hand I was looking at what Sabayonlinux is all about and guess what, it is a gentoo-fork or like distribution so it would be difficult for you if you do not know what you are doing. Having said that the file most probably is a *.tar.gz which needs to be uncompressed using the command bunzip or using a graphical archive manager like file-roller (in Gnome) it should be in Accessories menu.

If there is a single .sh file then run it & hopefully it installs. On the other hand if it has make, configure these kind of files then you would have to compile them . As far as I know of Gentoo each & every package needs to be compiled with

make

configure

install

with the appropriate flags & where they should bind etc. Not at all easy for a new person to play with. I would suggest you rather go in for any of the distros such as Fedora6, Mandriva if interested in .rpm or Debian, Mepis or Ubuntu if interested in .deb. Most of these distros already have pre-compiled binaries so things are easier. As u start playing with them, 6 months down the line you could re-visit Sabayon and then do the needful.

Having said that now, there is a sabayon channel on freenode which is there support channel, so if you want to go ahead I would suggest going there.

If you are using mozilla, then just install the addon called chatzilla , Click on freenode in the list which comes up. and join #sabayon /join #sabayon and enjoy your stay there.

I'd recommend Ubuntu or Mandriva for a Linux newbie. Very user friendly and as Shirish said, after few months of tinkering with the system you'll be able to manage something like a Gentoo based system

ya i think i will install mandriva ,

but i have read that it is having prob on 965 chipset i.e it doesn't detects dvd writer while installing.

is there any solution ?

Back