Router with in-built Torrent downloader

^ Infact my router (Netgear WNR3500) started working properly once I installed DDWRT, with the stock firmware it was rebooting every few hours and was not at all stable. Been using it with DDWRT for the past 4 months. Not a single issue till now.

i have the Asus WL-520GU...initially had a lot of trouble configuring it...but finally managed to get it work..:)

dunno how its gonna work with torrents but 1 issue(dunno if it is actually an issue :p) i think i should mention wid dis router...well you need to use ur modem in bridge mode and put ur username and passoword IN the router..only then it will work properly.

also if u use the modem in PPPOE mode and connect it to one of the LAN ports in the router instead of the WAN port, it works good for the desktop, but not so good in wifi.

these are probably the only things i find wrong wid 520GU :)

something which should include its own Bitorrent client, to access it you just type in the IP address of the router into the browser and it will open up and you can get started … without any hard work.

cranky said:
@blackbird - we're talking about the torrent client built into the router, not using a PC to download. If you have a working version, please post the version of firmware and the download master software version. No one on the forums of Asus or anywhere else has managed to get this to work properly and consistently, I congratulate you on being the first. mine does not even detect the plugged-in drive, let alone start downloading.

ya bro dl it tru the cleint built into the router . The steps i followed , 4 gb usb stick was formatted into Fat32 , then ejected it tru safely remove hardware , after putting it in the router check whether it is detected , next open download master on the pc and next click on da torrent to dl , then wait till it uploads on the router , and now hopefully it will be downled. Only problem i had was retreiving the file after it was downl

ed, had ro retreive the file by attching the usb back on the pc . Router firmware version 2.0.07

malhotraraul said:
routers flashed with tamato or other s/w creates lotsa issues, freezing problems, frequent disconnections, slow speed & etc, nothing full proof info available, was waiting to do this, took a low power consumption rig instead.

lol
ethanhunt123 said:
One more question, does anyone of them support NTFS ? If not, what do i format my HDD as. If i do FAT32, i wont be able to dload files >4GB. And if i do to XFS, how do i access files from my Mac and PC ?

format to ext3. You can access it like a windows share over network so no problems. NTFS driver is there (ntfs-3g) but the support is experimental.

coolraghav said:
i got this asus rt-n13u yesterday..i think it does have that option also option to install dd-wrt

then u have everything u want..i think..

Best firmware for asus routers is generally the one by oleg/lly.

Edit: btw, for torrents, once you install any custom firmware, then install "transmission" through ipkg. It has a nice webgui that you can access from any browser to control every thing. It also has command line clients and daemons that you can access over ssh. It also has native iPhone and Android apps to control it directly.

^^ A 520gu is a much better deal. costs around 1.9k to max 2.4k. Widespread custom firmware support available. Much more reliable hardware. With Warranty. Also serves as router. Can work as much more than just a bt client (basically almost a full blown headless linux PC)

next open download master on the pc

This is where I am getting stuck, the router configuration page clearly shows the device as connected, but the Download Master client in Windows is not able to detect the device, even after multiple reboots of the router and the PC.

An update to firmware didn't really help, either, and I don't have the time to experiment.

Just for info, what is the firmware version on the router and the software version of the client? And do you have 4MB ROM or 8MB ROM?

shantanugoel said:
^^ A 520gu is a much better deal. costs around 1.9k to max 2.4k. Widespread custom firmware support available. Much more reliable hardware. With Warranty. Also serves as router. Can work as much more than just a bt client (basically almost a full blown headless linux PC)
i would second shatanu's claim...

I have made torrents work and run flawlessly on ASUS WL520GU, ASUS RTN16U, ACRYAN PlayonHD network Media Player and now on my latest find, the plug computer (details in my signature)

stop listening to anyone saying dd-wrt, tomato or oleg's spoils you router... totally baseless... most of these routers actually become useful once you flash them with opensource f/w... BUFFALO for one has started shipping routers with dd-wrt pre loaded... howzzat !

i have had been toying with tomato and ddwrt for the past six years... used them on linksys wrt54g, buffalo whr g125, asus wl520gu, asus rtn16u, buffalo whr hp g300n, asus rtn13u.

torrenting, NAS, FTP work beautifully on these routers. i first set it up on the asus 520GU. the router works well and gets the job done but large hash file checks take time considering the small cpu the router has. the same on asus rtn16u and buffalo wzr hp g300nu works way better...

the concept is to first load an opensource f/w on the router. once done, a parallel linux platform called OPTWARE is loaded on the attached usb drive. for best results, the drive needs be in ext3(linux filesystem) format. from then on you can load any number of apps and configure them to run headlessly. you can even setup these apps to be controlled remotely from anywhere on the internet.

and no its not rocket science... basic adaptability to linux is required... even if one is a nooba dn follows the step-by-step guides... your good to go

Hi

I can also vouch for the Asus WL-520GU. It works beautifully with Oleg+Optware for torrents. The important point to note is to turn off USB 2.0 (EHCI). Also make sure you pause all torrents in transmission before switching off/rebooting the router. With no USB 2.0 hash checks will take ages. It is not much usefull as a NAS as the USB performance is very poor. However it is quite ok for torrent downloads and gives me consistent download speeds of 1.6/1.7 Mbps when downloading well seeded torrents.

Good luck

Bobby

cranky said:
This is where I am getting stuck, the router configuration page clearly shows the device as connected, but the Download Master client in Windows is not able to detect the device, even after multiple reboots of the router and the PC.

An update to firmware didn't really help, either, and I don't have the time to experiment.

Just for info, what is the firmware version on the router and the software version of the client? And do you have 4MB ROM or 8MB ROM?

Mine is the N13 u B1 version which comes with 8mb rom ? dl master version 2.0.0.6 and router version 2.0.0.7. There were 3 versions of this router N13, N13U , N13U B1 . B1 being mine and the lastest

One question to the Asus router owners. Does the download master utility work for non-Windows environment ? I mean is the access through web interface or is it a windows application ?

^^^Windows application. There may be others, not really sure.

@blackbird, thanks, maybe they fixed it in the second hardware rev because I have the 4MB ROM version (N13-U).

ok.. weird thing here..

I just tried running dl master for the first time ever. and it seems to work. tried a small 5mb file as a trial. and it works :eek:

I was even able to grab my file off of the pen drive I'd connected using filezilla after having enabled ftp access from the router page.

ethanhunt123 said:
One question to the Asus router owners. Does the download master utility work for non-Windows environment ? I mean is the access through web interface or is it a windows application ?
well to clear the air... the download master is a utility running on the router... not on your computer ! since the router mgmt is web based, you can use a web browser in any OS and access this utility. enabling samba or ftp on the router will let you access the downloaded files from the attached usb drive. that bit would be OS dependent since its happening on your computer ! hope it answers ur doubt

Interface for DL master is not available in the router configuration pages, only through the widget - even if it does run on the router. All other functionality is accessible through the web interface.

stalker said:
ok.. weird thing here..

I just tried running dl master for the first time ever. and it seems to work. tried a small 5mb file as a trial. and it works :eek:

I was even able to grab my file off of the pen drive I'd connected using filezilla after having enabled ftp access from the router page.
cranky said:
Interface for DL master is not available in the router configuration pages, only through the widget - even if it does run on the router. All other functionality is accessible through the web interface.
Just to add to that.. I'm running 1.02 on a N-13U.. NOT the B1

DD-WRT is now working on Asus RTN-13U. Am still stuck on mounting the USB drive, thankfully Dheeraj has promised to help me out. It will work - has to work cos others have been able to. Fingers crossed.

Back