Router+usb3.0 hub+external hdd connection

robotsmani

Disciple
Hi All,
Currently i am having the below set up
WD 2TB 3.0 External hdd connected through the Transcend usb3.0 hub to PC 3.0 port. I want to connect the 2TB hdd to my W8968 router usb port. so i connected a usb male to male cable from router to the usb3.0 hub. It seems not working. Any idea how to setup.

Basically i want to connect my2TB hdd to PC as well as the router. so that i can get the USB 3.0 speed to my PC while copying files and access the hdd through router wirelessly.

Thanks,
Mani

You are trying to defy the master-slave architecture for USB devices :wacky:

Your hard disk (is not a smart one) is a slave here and cannot decide to whom to serve: your PC or your router.

Your best bet is to buy a USB switching device so that you can swap the connection on-the-go. With this device, you can connect your external HDD either to your PC or the router. You can switch the USB connection based on your needs.

Yes, you can use a KVM switch (combined with USB hub) to share your hard drive with 2 'computers'. I don't know how much useful it's going be with a router because your shared display will turn off when you switch it to router.

3 weeks back, I enquired about USB3.0 hub in Nehru Place and I couldn't find it anywhere. I was told that due to high dollar rates, nobody is stocking the non-essentials/USB3.0 devices. USB switches probably share the same fate. You should try online.

Back