Router UPS for Asus AC-68U

napstersquest

Thread Police
Adept
I recently upgraded my main router from AC59U V2 to a AC68U.
I was also using the Artis Router UPS (Link: https://www.amazon.in/Artis-AR-MINIDC-3-Charging-Battery-Indicator-Certified/dp/B097THLT2M).
I used the included splitter to connect both my Asus router and the Airtel-provided DragonPath modem+router. I also connected the Raspberry Pi4 (which hosts the pihole) via USB port on the UPS.
The setup was working well, gave me around 4-5 hours of backup without electricity.

Now after upgrading the router, I want you guys to suggest how to proceed, as there are some issues:
The AC68U lists 19V 1.75A as its power draw. The included wall adapter is 12V2A. The router works fine on 12V2A.
The barrel jack (DC Power-IN port) is not standard size on the new Asus Router (It is not 5.5x2.1mm - upon research it seems to be 4mmOD and 1.35mmID - which looks like it, but I don't have any calipers to accurately measure).

Do you guys know any Router UPS's that come with supported plug for the Asus router?
Where can I procure 5.5x2.1 to 4x1.35 adapter if that's a thing?

I can't get an AC UPS as all of this stuff is kept on a router shelf which can't hold much weight.

Wouldn't grabbing another 12V router UPS, and adapting the DC Jack better?
I have definitely considered that, but could not find any 4x1.35mm DC barrel plug male jacks.

I have been meaning to post a discussion on this matter. I was going to create a DC UPS with multiple DC outputs that will power all things like router, CCTV, raspberry etc etc. I have already bought the stuff I needed for the project but haven't had time to put it all together.

Where can I procure 5.5x2.1 to 4x1.35 adapter if that's a thing?
robu.in
quartzcomponents.com

Also can you post a photo of the barrel plug of asus power adapter and artis output cord sidebyside? If I were you, I would have cut the cords and patched them directly as it's the most reliable thing to do.

Wouldn't grabbing another 12V router UPS, and adapting the DC Jack better?
I have definitely considered that, but could not find any 4x1.35mm DC barrel plug male jacks.
I have an AC-68U, not that I ever needed a UPS, but the barrel size is listed as 4.0*1.3 mm for replacement adapters.

Edit: Was checking on some reviews of replacement adapters just now and saw that many reduced it to 1.3 mm from 1.35 mm for a better fit, so may be either will do.

Last edited:
If I were you, I would have cut the cords and patched them directly as it's the most reliable thing to do.
I definitely was thinking about this, but the issue is I won't be able to find replacement power adapters afterwards if needed.
Also, the power adapter I got was 12V2A, Asus router states 19V 1.75A as requirement, have contacted @Prosenjit and they said the original adapter was missing so they sent a compatible one.
Let's see if I can find a 4x1.3mm barrel jack, or would just patch it like @lockhrt999 suggested. Thanks @t3chg33k as well.

I definitely was thinking about this, but the issue is I won't be able to find replacement power adapters afterwards if needed.
Also, the power adapter I got was 12V2A, Asus router states 19V 1.75A as requirement, have contacted @Prosenjit and they said the original adapter was missing so they sent a compatible one.
Let's see if I can find a 4x1.3mm barrel jack, or would just patch it like @lockhrt999 suggested. Thanks @t3chg33k as well.

Seems it is a standard Asus 45W/65W barrel, so you can use any of the USB C to 4.0x1.35mm adapters or cables.

Also, the power adapter I got was 12V2A, Asus router states 19V 1.75A as requirement
Screenshot_2.jpg

Official adapter outputs to 12V only. Where does it say 19V?

19V is usually used by laptop chargers. Maybe it'll direct fit.

Wonder why need seprate ups for routers, i have connected it on a plugpoint which is on my regular home ups line.
Don't have an inverter for home.. And the Router is placed in a hallway on a shelf so can't use full size AC UPS for it.
This is working great for my TP-Link AX10:
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B09FZTVW5B

It provides up to 6hrs of battery life. Tested that just once during an extended power cut.
Any idea if it comes with the 4x1.3mm pin? Which one does your TP-Link AX10 use?

Don't have an inverter for home.. And the Router is placed in a hallway on a shelf so can't use full size AC UPS for it.

Any idea if it comes with the 4x1.3mm pin? Which one does your TP-Link AX10 use?
Not sure of these connectors, but from the UPS power bank image with 3 included cables shown, my router uses the middle one apparently. It is a common port on most routers that I have seen.

Based on most products on Amazon, they have 5x2.1 input and output. Some of them provide a 4x1.35 female connector which will work on the input side. I assume on the output side, you will still need a 4x1.35 male adapter. Getting a laptop charger cable and splicing it is probably your best bet.

RT-AC68U supports 12 volts onwards up to 19 Volts. If you use 12 Volts, it will draw approx 1.8A to 2.25A based on your application run on that router. If you use 19 Volts, it will draw 1.15A to 1.4A

I personally use an SMPS for 5-volt and 12-volt lines in a CAT6 cable for a full home network (for automation with Atmega 32A controller). 5 Volts for all the 4 port gigabit switches and 12 Volts for 2 ASUS routers and 1 optical node. I also use a 600VA normal UPS for this line.

I prefer wired connectivity in my home network for all devices. I also use LAN backhaul features in the ASUS AiMesh system. Use only the 2.5 GHz Band at the router with the lowest power level. Trying to minimize the radiation in my home. I am still using the BSNL land phone for 90% of calls from my home. I prefer not to use a mobile phone when I am at my home.

My next plan is to create a 10Gbps wired network to get better connectivity with my NAS drive. Looking for a small (4/5 port) 10Gbps switch. When it will be available, I will change all the current switches.

Back