Room heater buying advice

I see that OFRs infact use as much if not more power. Most I see online are 2400W and some even 2900W.
I use this model from Usha - https://www.usharoomheaters.com/en/fan-heaters/hc-812-t.
It has a built-in thermostat that usually works fine. You start the blower at max temps. Once the room has heated up to your expectation, you just move the thermostat knob until the blower switches off. After that it will keep switching on and off throughout the night by itself.

People who are using OFRs, how uniform is the heating, especially if you have a somewhat bigger room. I was thinking of going for electric blankets if I can find reliable ones, and also considering under-floor heating for my house in Himachal, but I've now grown accustomed to the cold and wearing multiple layers and we only get severe winters (no snow) for barely 2 months, so it doesn't make sense to go for such a complex and expensive system.

was thinking of going for electric blankets if I can find reliable ones,
I had purchased electric blanket under bed from healthgenie. Single person/bed, but it was very effective. I could do away with most of winter wear and avoided the suffocation. Also didn't need to use heaters at extremes since the bed was warm, except for Chilai Kalan and it's cheap too ~1200.

I had purchased electric blanket under bed from healthgenie. Single person/bed, but it was very effective. I could do away with most of winter wear and avoided the suffocation. Also didn't need to use heaters at extremes since the bed was warm, except for Chilai Kalan and it's cheap too ~1200.
is it risky? can you share some photos or maybe even a small video?

I see that OFRs infact use as much if not more power. Most I see online are 2400W and some even 2900W.
I use this model from Usha - https://www.usharoomheaters.com/en/fan-heaters/hc-812-t.
It has a built-in thermostat that usually works fine. You start the blower at max temps. Once the room has heated up to your expectation, you just move the thermostat knob until the blower switches off. After that it will keep switching on and off throughout the night by itself.

People who are using OFRs, how uniform is the heating, especially if you have a somewhat bigger room. I was thinking of going for electric blankets if I can find reliable ones, and also considering under-floor heating for my house in Himachal, but I've now grown accustomed to the cold and wearing multiple layers and we only get severe winters (no snow) for barely 2 months, so it doesn't make sense to go for such a complex and expensive system.
I think the power consumption thing is irrelevant, as electric heating is 100% efficient. About the heating, I have a non fan Usha model and it is very soothing. The heat radiates slowly and eventually brings the entire room to a very comfy state.

Last week I got the Havells oil type room heater. Must say it was a good choice for approx 10k. Incidentally this was the only heater in that shop which had a 2 year warranty.
Other suggestions:
You can put 3x RTX 3090's to mine making enough heat to keep you cosy this December and make some money in the process.

@mks9697 I am no more in Delhi now so I can't share video (gave it to my grandparent who uses it in village).
Regarding safety, for the 4+ years I used, I had no issues. I used to keep it under bed and keep two more bedsheets beneath it just so ensure no direct body contact. I uses single bed model.
This was the model I used. I had concerns with other blankets from Amazon so went with health genie since it deal with medical products.

Heating is uniform. No complaints. Bigger room need bigger models + elec bills can really shoot up with OFRs.

Heating is uniform. No complaints. Bigger room need bigger models + elec bills can really shoot up with OFRs.
How? Electric heating is 100% efficient.
If your target temperature is 30 Celsius. A 3000watt OFR will heat get the target temp quicker and the thermostat will cut it off. A 2000watt OFR will take longer to reach the target temp however the power consumed for reaching the target temp is going to be identical.

Electric blanket is always risky , not to be used with kids and elderly .
Have seen 3 electric blankets short circuit and start burning . Only safe if you are in senses and can react for the this unforseen

How? Electric heating is 100% efficient.
If your target temperature is 30 Celsius. A 3000watt OFR will heat get the target temp quicker and the thermostat will cut it off. A 2000watt OFR will take longer to reach the target temp however the power consumed for reaching the target temp is going to be identical.
Correct. I meant temps are almost same in the entire room.
Assuming that the room is a closed system. Which it is not in real world.
I keep my room as "close" as possible. Without it OFR/ACs take up crazy units.

I meant to say that there is always significant (not negligible) amount of heat transfer going on no matter how close we keep the rooms. Even a closed room is not thermally isolated. That brings heating time into the equation and hence electricity consumption to reach required warmth differs in different heaters.

Also measured temperature (thermometer) and temperature we feel (like what we feel is comfortable/good enough) is different for different heaters. Dunno how to explain the last point but it happens.

So overall electricity consumption differs because of all these factors.

I meant to say that there is always significant (not negligible) amount of heat transfer going on no matter how close we keep the rooms. Even a closed room is not thermally isolated. That brings heating time into the equation and hence electricity consumption to reach required warmth differs in different heaters.

Also measured temperature (thermometer) and temperature we feel (like what we feel is comfortable/good enough) is different for different heaters. Dunno how to explain the last point but it happens.

in my experience i've not witnessed this. i keep the room closed too and the bills have stayed consistent between 2900w and 2000w unit. the only thing is the 2900w unit gets the room warm fast and then shuts off.

It does. There are noncontrollables.

Attachments

• IMG20211220210831.jpg
    IMG20211220210831.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 60
Guys I'm looking forward to buy a room heater. But have no idea what all characteristics to look for unlike AC we look for 1 ton etc.
So guide me for a room heater.

Queries:
  • Does a single room heater helps heat all the rooms in our house as in does the heat passes/circulates around the house (lame query but again no exp.)
  • I'm particularly eyeing only for a single room ftw.
  • Can we use mild ceiling fan while keeping heater on.
  • Need portable, cheap and good brand.

Your answers:
1. No, heat circulation will not be enough that the whole house heats up. One heater : room. (irrespective what you get)
2. 9-fin OIL based is good enough for 14 x 12 [feet] room. Keep doors strictly closed (same logic you use with an A/C). To preserve "heat".
3. Why..?
4. Most have wheels. But try not to move them when hot/running.

Last edited:
Back