Rog ally launched at 699 usd

Asus simply wanted to jump onto the handheld bandwagon. Nothing else.
But I don't see what they had to gain by jumping the gun - it's not like the market would've shrunk appreciably in the few months it would've taken to give it a bit more polish, and they'd sell more that way too. The only reason that makes sense to me is if they wanted to beat someone else to market. Or middle management meddling, I suppose.
The major crap-up that they have done is not creating a operating system made for the Ally from the ground-up. For instance, the Switch uses an Unix-based OS, or the Deck uses a Linux-based one. And both are very good handhelds. That's the trend they should have followed.
I actually think this would've been a big mistake on their part, business wise. Valve has expressed their intent to make SteamOS available for other console manufacturers, so it makes way more sense for them to wait for that to happen. For Asus to build something of similar quality would've increased their time to market exponentially and - more importantly - increased the cost of the system even more. Further, Valve has a unique advantage in terms of ensuring game compatibility, due to Steam and their years of experience working on Proton - as it stands, Asus has absolutely no hope of competing with them on software. If Asus is smart, they'll push Valve to make SteamOS available on the Ally as soon as they can - it would be a win-win for both of them.
Windows Embedded/IoT is already there. Asus could've gotten in touch with MS if it required further customization.
Does Windows IoT work for gaming? I'd have thought that an embedded-focused build would eschew a bunch of extraneous stuff that games might rely on.

Windows Embedded/IoT is already there. Asus could've gotten in touch with MS if it required further customization.
Game Pass don't work on IoT, so that's a major miss.
I actually think this would've been a big mistake on their part, business wise. Valve has expressed their intent to make SteamOS available for other console manufacturers, so it makes way more sense for them to wait for that to happen. For Asus to build something of similar quality would've increased their time to market exponentially and - more importantly - increased the cost of the system even more. Further, Valve has a unique advantage in terms of ensuring game compatibility, due to Steam and their years of experience working on Proton - as it stands, Asus has absolutely no hope of competing with them on software. If Asus is smart, they'll push Valve to make SteamOS available on the Ally as soon as they can - it would be a win-win for both of them.
Whether that could have been a mistake business-wise is a topic for another day. But, at least they could have tried.

If a company like Ayaneo can understand the shortcomings of Windows and create their Linux-based Ayaneo OS for their handheld gaming systems, then what's stopping Asus?
If you look at the current market, every good handheld is based of Unix or Linux.
Asus had the blueprint. They just needed to follow it. Sadly, they crapped up.

Here we go

Screenshot_20230617_102730_Firefox.jpg

No I'm not. Not yet. Let's see the Indian pricing first. My cousin seems interested so I'll evaluate the proposition of US vs local
699 + tax in US will be around 60k, not including shipping. In India, not knowing if there will be bank offers, purchasing using 5% cashback on SBI Cashback card will result in a cost of around 66.5k and Asus is providing the free carrying case worth 2k for the first 200 orders on their website. If there are bank discounts, then the effective price will be further lower. In the end, not sure if it is worth purchasing from US for less than 5k difference.

Ally owners have been complaining for weeks that SD cards are not being recognized(Opens in a new window) by the Ally, or if they are, they experience very slow transfer speeds(Opens in a new window). Some owners thought it was simply a driver issue(Opens in a new window), but Asus has now admitted the problem is due to thermal stress and in some cases will require a hardware repair.

Seems like a bad idea to get this in an already hot country.

₹69,990 in flipkart. Good price?
It is 64k with HDFC and lesser if you get Flipkart gift cards at discount.

It does have a lot of issues though - analog stick deadzone, sticky buttons, overheating with recent BIOS updates, SD card ejection and Windows doing Windows things like launching games in smaller screens, sometimes requiring use of keyboard and mouse, games exiting unexpectedly, and no real suspension mode apart from Windows Sleep which drains off more than 2% per hour.

Also, it is a novelty that wears off. If the use of this device is going to be 90% at home across rooms as most users have admitted or playing at a hotel, then a laptop does a far better job. Handheld is definitely more useful outside of the home but a 1-2 hour battery life makes it extremely pointless.

Probably better to hold off for future generations unless you simply need to have a handheld.

Last edited:
I guess it will be expensive.
have they announced Indian pricing?
US price is the same as Ally, so don't expect the undiscounted launch price to be any different to the Ally. The Ally was available for 56k in the launch month though, so depends if the Go will be discounted.

But then Asus had only imported 2500 units in India and they have been unable to sell those, so the Indian market is probably not a great target.

US price is the same as Ally, so don't expect the undiscounted launch price to be any different to the Ally. The Ally was available for 56k in the launch month though, so depends if the Go will be discounted.

But then Asus had only imported 2500 units in India and they have been unable to sell those, so the Indian market is probably not a great target.
yes Indian handheld gaming market has always been a low key affair.. one of the main reason Nintendo never stepped into Indian market.

Back