Rog ally launched at 699 usd

r4hul

Adept
Finally Rog ally has launched but i think this is overpriced. Yeah I am keeping in mind that it is portable but still paying 70k for this is absurd whereas one can get a much powerful laptop.

Note:- this is the only listing i was able to find for India.

Last edited:
You can't take laptop to play when in a commute/train/metro or lying down on bed or on toilet seat or <put your scenario here>.
I understand. What I am trying to say is that the intention should be to make it affordable rather than make it too powerful and pricey like what steam deck did.
However, this is what I think. But i do see this device sold out instantly.

Holy crap, that markup is brutal. Indian customs, screwing us yet again. Not that I was in the market for this specifically, but even the Steam Deck is affected by this. It's like the Pixel devices, even the mid-range ones are DOA in terms of value because of the tariffs.
I understand. What I am trying to say is that the intention should be to make it affordable rather than make it too powerful and pricey like what steam deck did.
Valve could afford to do that because their main goals are to drive Steam sales and to make sure that there's a viable non-Windows platform for customers to keep using Steam on in case Microsoft ever locks them out (as they've been concerned about in the past). Given that Asus can't do that, it seems like they decided to play to their strengths by getting good volume pricing on high end hardware and targeting that crowd. Personally I think they made the right move; any attempt by them to match Valve's pricing would likely have resulted in a subpar product that wouldn't really compete with the Steam Deck. Stuff like this paves the road to making the market more mainstream and therefore more budget friendly stuff.

Of course, the wait is always painful. I'm still waiting for foldable phone pricing to reach a level where I can consider one :')

Valve could afford to do that because their main goals are to drive Steam sales and to make sure that there's a viable non-Windows platform for customers to keep using Steam on in case Microsoft ever locks them out (as they've been concerned about in the past). Given that Asus can't do that, it seems like they decided to play to their strengths by getting good volume pricing on high end hardware and targeting that crowd. Personally I think they made the right move; any attempt by them to match Valve's pricing would likely have resulted in a subpar product that wouldn't really compete with the Steam Deck. Stuff like this paves the road to making the market more mainstream and therefore more budget friendly stuff.

Of course, the wait is always painful. I'm still waiting for foldable phone pricing to reach a level where I can consider one :')
Yup it is painful. Also we still don't know about the replacement parts etc etc. But i also know this is a success. The reviews are rave. Everyone is giving them 8/10 like ign. This is definitely a success for Asus.

Last edited:
Finally Rog ally has launched but i think this is overpriced. Yeah I am keeping in mind that it is portable but still paying 70k for this is absurd whereas one can get a much powerful laptop.
50k rs Laptops are more powerful than 1 lakh rs smartphones. But has it stopped anyone playing games on their smartphones?

It's overpriced cuz its a relatively new market segment. Valve (finally) entered the handheld segment which is dominated by Nintendo and mobile gaming (Yes I said it lol).

The prices are high, because they are not focusing on making devices cheap, nor to market the device here. If Steam Deck released for legit 30k in India it would have sold a lot of units, no doubt.

The segment is evolving and finally going mainstream. GPD, Aya, etc are now facing more competition, which is a good thing.

We might see another device in 2-3 years time, which might actually be priced 30-40k for Indian markets, but till then it is what it is.

If Asus releases it officially, then it will certainly be cheaper. MX2 of course has a higher markup and no warranty, so probably good to wait before passing judgement on the price.
Yup it is painful. Also we still don't know about the replacement parts etc etc. But i also know this is a success. The reviews are rave. Everyone is giving them 8/10 like ign. This is definitely a success for Razer.
Razer?

No one in their right minds should buy the ROG Ally. The ROG Ally isn't a handheld console. It is a PC, shrunken to a handheld size. As a result, you do not get any quality of life upgrades.

For instance, the major area where the Steam Deck flourishes is its quick resume. You can jump in and out of games anytime.
With the Ally, you have to use it as a PC. Means you have to start the device, then the game, wait for it to boot up, and then play. When exiting, you have to do the reverse and then put the device to sleep. And if the game wants, you have to find a save spot for the game file to be saved. Also, there are no trackpads, which can be a major bummer when navigating.

The reason why Steam Deck has been so popular is because its user experience. Everything works seamlessly. And that is what the handheld crowd wants. Not another PC that they have to babysit even on their couch or while travelling.

It is affordable by US standards and that's what matters to companies.

No one in their right minds should buy the ROG Ally. The ROG Ally isn't a handheld console. It is a PC, shrunken to a handheld size. As a result, you do not get any quality of life upgrades.

For instance, the major area where the Steam Deck flourishes is its quick resume. You can jump in and out of games anytime.
With the Ally, you have to use it as a PC. Means you have to start the device, then the game, wait for it to boot up, and then play. When exiting, you have to do the reverse and then put the device to sleep. And if the game wants, you have to find a save spot for the game file to be saved. Also, there are no trackpads, which can be a major bummer when navigating.

The reason why Steam Deck has been so popular is because its user experience. Everything works seamlessly. And that is what the handheld crowd wants. Not another PC that they have to babysit even on their couch or while travelling.
Definitely Valve has put a lot of effort in the software. Asus will continue to suck at it and the Windows experience on handheld will not become good anytime soon.

It is telling that the Steam Deck actually beats the Ally at 10W, again showing lack of effort from Asus and AMD also not really bothering to optimise for power consumption; creating a new SKU from an existing one, as opposed to Van Gogh.

Valve got the console first approach right and I think it certainly augments an existing PC as against the Ally. Steam Deck makes for a great option for indie and emulation games on the go, especially at the imported price difference in India. It is also telling that Steam Deck verified games work as they should for older games, which don't even work properly on Windows.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried it here? How is it ? I mean the price is high ofc but how viable is it?
on the way. will get in hand by next wednesday
Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-13T06-29-39.452Z.png

Nevermind the YT and influencer hype, the Ally really shat the bed in terms of user experience. Not to mention, lower wattage performance is still a mess, as predicted by @t3chg33k. No amount of TDP or FPS limit through Armory Crate is able to improve battery life, as the system eats up power unfettered (thanks Windows!).

Some people even had to deal with BSOD during the setup process. What a crap-up.

Nevermind the YT and influencer hype, the Ally really shat the bed in terms of user experience. Not to mention, lower wattage performance is still a mess, as predicted by @t3chg33k. No amount of TDP or FPS limit through Armory Crate is able to improve battery life, as the system eats up power unfettered (thanks Windows!).

Some people even had to deal with BSOD during the setup process. What a crap-up.
It does seem to be somewhat early stages as far as the software goes, though according to Dave2D there are updates coming that will improve the low wattage performance a fair bit. I have to wonder why Asus decided to launch this thing now rather than just wait a few months - is any other mainstream company planning to launch a similar device that they wanted to beat to market?

It does seem to be somewhat early stages as far as the software goes, though according to Dave2D there are updates coming that will improve the low wattage performance a fair bit. I have to wonder why Asus decided to launch this thing now rather than just wait a few months - is any other mainstream company planning to launch a similar device that they wanted to beat to market?
Asus simply wanted to jump onto the handheld bandwagon. Nothing else.
Maybe the launch of Logitech's G Cloud last year may have impacted their decision, but I don't think that's the case since it's a cloud-gaming device and does not compete directly with the Ally.

The major crap-up that they have done is not creating a operating system made for the Ally from the ground-up. For instance, the Switch uses an Unix-based OS, or the Deck uses a Linux-based one. And both are very good handhelds. That's the trend they should have followed.

Create a lightweight OS that's based off Unix or Linux, so that your system do not have deal with all the shenanigans that Windows pulls off. But, that takes R&D and time, and Asus did not wanted to devote time. So, they end up with a device that is frankly letdown by a sub-par OS like Windows.

At this point, if you are buying the Ally, you just have to accept all the shortcomings that Windows brings to the table. And I hate that and the handheld crowd also hates that. No one wants to lug around and babysit a Windows PC in their pocket.

Create a lightweight OS that's based off Unix or Linux, so that your system do not have deal with all the shenanigans that Windows pulls off. But, that takes R&D and time, and Asus did not wanted to devote time. So, they end up with a device that is frankly letdown by a sub-par OS like Windows.
Windows Embedded/IoT is already there. Asus could've gotten in touch with MS if it required further customization.

Back