Linux Review your Linux - And win accolades and reps ;)

Safin

Skilled
You all seem to love your linux. Now is your chance to actually make your love public.

Write a review of the linux distro u use and love. Review must contain complete info about the distro and about installing it with screenshots and all. Any other related information can also be added.

Make a complete presentation.

And post it here. Amongst all the reviews, the best one gets the Title.. LINUX god in red + you get a 300 rep point advantage.
All members who participate get 50 rep points.
(rep points are relative... the admins have only 50 point power at the top of the ladder.. so 300 is huge)
Apart from that your review goes to the main portal.

The winner will be decided by Team TechEnclave.
Confirm participation in this thread.

Well safin i'll begin with installation,

First Installation Step:

If you have an EIDE/ATAPI CDROM (normal these days), check your machine's BIOS settings to see if it has the capability to boot from CD-ROM. Most machines made after mid-1997 can do this.

If yours is among them, change the settings so that the CD-ROM is checked first. This is often in a 'BIOS FEATURES' submenu of the BIOS configuration menus.

Then insert the installation CD-ROM. Reboot. You're started.

If you have a SCSI CDROM you can often still boot from it, but it gets a little more motherboard/BIOS dependent. Those who know enough to spend the extra dollars on a SCSI CDROM drive probably know enough to figure it out

2)continuing the Installation:;
Prepare the Linux filesystems. (If you didn't edit the disk partition table earlier, you will at this stage.)

Install a basic production Linux from the CD-ROM.

Boot Linux from the hard drive.

(Optional) Install more packages from CD-ROM

3)Installing software packages:;
Once you've gotten past preparing your partitions, the remainder of the installation should be almost automatic. Your installation program (whether EGA or X-based) will guide you through a series of menus which allow you to specify the CD-ROM to install from, the partitions to use, and so forth.

Here we're not going to document many of the specifics of this stage of installation. It's one of the parts that varies most between Linux distributions (vendors traditionally compete to add value here), but also the simplest part. And the installation programs are pretty much self-explanatory, with good on-screen help.

4)After package installations:;
After installation is complete, and if all goes well, the installation program will walk you through a few options for configuring your system before its first boot from hard drive.

5)Booting Your New System:;
After booting, login as root. Then! You have your very own Linux system.If you are booting using LILO, try holding down shift or control during boot. This will present you with a boot prompt; press tab to see a list of options. In this way you can boot Linux, MS-DOS, or whatever directly from LILO.

Here's my screenshot

Ok so most of the GUI distros taken up. I will do FreeBSD 5.1 or 4.9 and Solaris 9 or 10. I will try to do them both this sunday. Also when do we post the review ??

When and where do we post the review?

I dont get what you mean by post in main portal

Also, I wish to review linux as a whole, from the command line point of view, disregarding the GUI. Would that be OK?

Overkill said:
When and where do we post the review?
I dont get what you mean by post in main portal
Also, I wish to review linux as a whole, from the command line point of view, disregarding the GUI. Would that be OK?

Someone reply :( :huh:

Back