Graphic Cards Review of AMD 6000 GPU cards

magesh85

Disciple
Hi Guys,

Since there was a thread of NVidia Cards for 3000 series, thought of starting the similar one for AMD 6000 GPU cards.

Looking for Performance, Temperature and Noise of AMD 6000 Cards.

Cheers!!!!

I have a PowerColor Fighter 6600 XT in my ITX rig. This is my first AMD desktop card. Got it for like 30% cheaper than the RTX 3060 cards when it launched in India :)

With an ambient of around 25C temps are like 65-70C core (or edge?) and 80-95C hotspot with a slight undervolt and clocks limited to 2500MHz. These cards try to boost based on hotspot temps. Mine manages to hit 2780MHz on stock voltage if I increase the TDP and clock limit but hotspot hovers around 105C and occasionally hits 110C. This is normal for RDNA2 cards but makes me a tad uncomfortable. So I have it undervolted and clock limited.

The beauty of this card is its efficiency. At stock it draws max 132W. With my settings, I lose like 5% performance but the power draw drops to around 105W max. An RTX 3060 would pull 160-170W for the same performance.

Fans mostly hover around 40-50 percent at full load. Its very quiet. Zero RPM mode works fairly well. Sometimes 4k content causes it to spin up for like 10-15 seconds. Slightly bothersome when working late at night and don't have my headphones on. Unnoticeable otherwise.

I was worried about giving up on RTX, DLSS, NVENC (Oculus link supposedly works better with NVENC) and Nvidia drivers. Also I use a QHD 165Hz monitor and this is marketed as a 1080p card. But it has really surprised me. No hardware or driver issues so far and performance is great on QHD. I do have PCI Gen4 and AMD SMA enabled though.

Have a 3090, 3070 and an RX 6800. My favorite card of the lot is the RX 6800. The only real downer of the card is poor ray tracing performance when there are a lot of incoherent rays.

Other than that, it's far better than both the 3090 and 3070. Primary reasons are the following

I) Rock solid drivers this gen - haven't had a single crash ever. In comparison the 3090/3070 has had multiple CTD issues in many games

II) Way quieter and more power efficient. The 6800 is much faster than the 3070 while consuming almost identical power. You can barely hear the fans while peaking at a max 70C. The 3090 is hot and loud. Same with the 3070.

III) In standard rasterized games, there is virtually no difference in performance between the 6800 and the 3090 - none that you can detect.

IV) The driver control panel and functionality in AMD is a couple of generations ahead of nvidia. NV's driver interface is still stuck in the XP era. On top of that you have GeForce experience which feels like spyware running all the time.

Also long term, AMD supports performance updates of old cards better. When the RX580 was launched, it was at parity with the 1060 6GB. Now in modern titles, the 580 is much closer to the 1070 8GB while the 1060 struggles to match even an RX 570.

Have a Sapphire RX 6800 XT on stress its below 80c like 74c to 76c on junction temp. -10c on normal temps to junction temp. its super cool looking card as well. small crash here and there but I think it was more of the game issue than the drivers as it happen after the game update came. later on fix via game update itself. Driver and OC is a beast on this cards as per the stock setting. Have been using it as a single pc streaming + gaming setup and no downside till now.

Thing which I think is a miss are as below:
1) Low RT Performance.
2) Nvidia Reflex (we have AMD anti-lag but I think its not up to the mark, its better to keep it off)
3) DLSS compititor. we do have FSR and now RSR is on its way but lets see how it works with overall eco system.
4) I don't know if its a game or driver issue or the card itself. but in VALORANT sometimes I get a dip till 60 fps while streaming. that can be consider a downside for me. the fix is to restart the system 1 or 2 times and then it works well.

also I game at 2K and i gives me a solid performance. on OC i get above 144fps in games like warzone at max setting which is really great. for VALORANT its like keeps fluctuating between 200 to 400 fps on max setting.

Also long term, AMD supports performance updates of old cards better. When the RX580 was launched, it was at parity with the 1060 6GB. Now in modern titles, the 580 is much closer to the 1070 8GB while the 1060 struggles to match even an RX 570.

This. People who bash AMD drivers probably haven't used an AMD gpu in ages.
OTOH I've encountered problems with the last two Nvidia driver updates wherein it keeps deleting the supported resolutions and defaults to 640x480 after the update with no option to change it anywhere.
I've had to end up using CRU to add the resolutions back to the registry.

Back