Review: LG GS 290 Cookie Fresh - Fresh and Impressive

I recently bought this phone to gift, try it for few days.

(I have used Symbian S60V3 for last 3 years, so impression comes from a long time S60 user)

I have to say features this phone gives in its price range is IMPRESSIVE.

thum_491494d9727583546d.jpg

thum_491494d9727c15e6ae.jpg

Lets start with positives and in the end we'll see its negatives (or rather the group who should not buy this)

Its light weight, plastic made, looks smooth from all angles.

Quite responsive and good looking OS. (It had some lagging OOTB but after latest firmware update, its really snappy and smooth)

Browser is good for normal surfing, can do in landscape as well. Supports Opera Mini

A stylus is recommended (does not come in the box.)

Messaging can be done landscape as well.

thum_491494d97361836d66.jpg

Menu option works well to response, you can set it to scroll one page at a time or only one menu line at a time. check this small video

This is how menu looks

thum_491494d97362b0b9e9.jpg

Three home screens

Main screen has option to put many widgets on screen.

thum_491494d9727e7d7815.jpg

Two other screen for fast dial. One from contacts another from call logs

First can be used for speed dials. Second shows you numbers from recent call logs in very intuitive way.

Hardware key to access favorite application,

thum_491494d97280542ce1.jpg

From locked phone screen, it can open specific application.

Draw special icon in locked screen. Like M for messages, This feature is user configurable

Comes Oxford dictionary pre installed. which can translate from Eng – Hindi, Hindi -> Eng and Eng -> Eng

Contacts:

Plenty of options to add, but one really useful is to add a birthday/anniversary date

calendar at the time of add contact itself.

In dial mode as you start typing a number it shows you contacts which contains

that number.

thum_491494d9728f75c54c.jpg

Java enabled , supports push email too.

Loads of games from LG world (I doubt they’ll be good in terms of playing experience due to lack of keys, but that should be true for every touch screen)

Nice big screen with good contrast & I found typing good as well. Though again for guys with big fingers a stylus is recommend. Girls with big nails can save the cost.

USB charging (N79 does not have it)

Update phone firmware from home. Like this a lot

(There was a minor glitch which users of 64 bit windows will notice but after that it was good.)

Shortcut key to lock phone

Good in Music

3.5 MM jack

Wireless FM

Can play 320 KBPS MP3

FM audio quality is good (better than N79) as well

Does not have stereo speakers but single speaker is loud enough.

Clear sound from head phone.(Tested with Marshmallow)

It has a rejected list in built which you can use to block calls from unwanted numbers.

Comes with 2 Gb Micro SD card & 900 MAh battery

Box content

Charger (mini USB port),

2 piece headphone (quite average, not expecting brilliance at this price surly),

Data cable, Manual & CD

Now who should not buy this:

Needs a phone for camera, its not. Just 2 MP and that too BAD.

Needs a phone with 3G or Wifi. its not. Just edge and Bluetooth

Needs Multi-threaded capability. Its not your phone.

(For first two you may try other cookie phone which comes with these feature as OS wise they all boost same flash OS)

So at last who should buy this

It cost me 4300 approx. Paid 550 for JVC Marshmallow and 150 for screen guard (pouch free). So here is a phone with nice IEM and all necessities in just 5000 Rs. What else you want

Want to gift/get a full screen touch screen but do not want to go over 5K or

planning to buy a Micromax psych(or any other similar brand) for 3K-3.5K approx.

Get this phone its worth every penny for the feature.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Phone bought from : Letsbuy

JVC Marshmallow: Pristinenote

Screen guard & pouch : Flipkart (Just 150Rs)

Thanks guys. :thanx:

(Post and edit it after Sehwag got out in final, continue as Sachin also got out) finished it by 14-16 over; went back and WATCHED the match THAT COUNTS. :clapping: :yahoo:

Few more nice things observed, (main post will be updated).

It has a rejected list in built which you can use to block calls from unwanted numbers.

One home screen out of three can be used for speed dials.

Another home screen shows you numbers from recent call logs in very intuitive way.

I remember some feature which actually differentiate a N series phone from a E series. (This claim May not be not true today but was the case around N, E, E71 launch)

Advance call manager is one such software and this phone

Back