[Review]Audio Technica ATH M50

Introduction:

The M-50 is branded as a monitoring headphone, but it would also work as well as a DJ headphone. The M-50 is one of those rare headphones that are able take the strengths of different headphones, and adds more good things into the mix.

Starting from the build quality and finish, the ATH M-50 is a step nicer than most in price range.M-50 has a slightly stronger clamping force, but the combination of good pads material and good ergonomics design makes the M-50 remain very comfortable to wear.

Features:

• Closed-back Dynamic

• ø45mm Neodymium driver

• CCAW voice coil ensures wide-range response

• Outstanding seal for maximum isolation

• Adjustable padded headband for comfortable fit

• Collapsible design ideal for portability and convenient storage

Specification:

Product Name: ATH-M50

Type: Closed-back Dynamic

Driver: 45mm

Output Sound: 99d/B/mW

Freq Response: 15-28,000Hz

Max Input Power: 1600mW

Impedance: 38

Weight: 284g

Plug: 3.5mm gold-plated stereo plug

Cord: 1.2M (coiled) Max 3.0M

Contents:

1. Headphone

2. Gold plated Stereo 3.5mm Connector with Strain Relief

3. Professional Screw on 6.3 mm Adapter

4. Protective pouch

[attachment=8478:14927.attach]

[attachment=8474:14923.attach]

View attachment 15857

1.Headphone

View attachment 15851

2. Gold plated Stereo 3.5mm Connector with Strain Relief

View attachment 15855

3,4. Professional Screw on 6.3 mm Adapter ,Protective pouch

Burn in Time: Some people out there believe that electronic devices will performance at their optimal best only after running from some time<I am one being them> .So, Burn time is something like providing the particular device with certain ideal condition for a given time to reach its best .

So, the same holds good for headphones here the burn in feed being music. So, the next question is what music?. Once again many fundas and suggestion here, but I have done it my way. Just created a play list with my favorite albums and artist and played it as below
“I have given them a burn in time of about 35+hrs in 3 sets of 12 hrs each with my favorite’s music at

60-70 % of volume (Approx-4.36dB).”

One more thing is every vendor needn’t suggest a burning time for example Ath-M50 the box doesn’t suggest any burn in time

My Experience:

What should I say? I am not claiming that they are just ordinary out of box but definitely not best for the green spent.

I would say the improvement in quality just go better and better hour by hour after some 3-4 hrs the bass got full and tight. ESP. I enjoyed it to max when listing to songs like boom boom pow<Black eyed peas>, Day n night <kid kudi>

And at the end of burn time the sound just got awesome more details as we dive

Types of files used: flac, mp3 mostly @320kbps
Using Since: 2+ Months

Input tools:

Sandisk Sansa fuze+ with latest firmware with region set to anything but N.America.

IPod touch 3g with 4.3.3 firmware

PC:foobar with WASAPI enabled

Sounds from: DEMO SOUNDS

Nuforce Demo - Sound Quality Listening Guide

Music <My favorites list>

Stereolab

Liquid Tension Experiment

Ali & Toumani

The Dillinger Escape Plan

Ar Rehaman

Kathy Perry

Lady Gaga

Beyonce

Rihanna

Trance:armadamusic, also a lot of trance this list goes on

Isolation levels: They are pretty decent as mentioned above -12dB on a Normal room .But on move like on bus, cab or train it has to reach above -4db. Unfortunately I was not able to testing on a domestic airline as had no trip during this couple of months.

In generally you won’t pick external sounds from outside in normal environment. Similarly there is no sound leak once paired with your ears

Rating: Based on price factor I would give 8.5/10

Comfort levels:
Leather used on pads is of high quality +foamy so, it’s really comfortable to where for long periods, At the same time the Clamping is bit tight but comfy when u get used to it. The real con is the leather generates some heat around ear on a sunny day so you might catch sweat pretty quick.

Portability as some fear is not an issue its completely foldable cups make it easy .Once again the catch can be the Coiled cable but it’s actually a boon in disguise think of maintaining a straight cable of 3M I don’t think it s pretty easy

So, points of interest:

+ Foldable cups+ leather pouch makes it portable.

+ Quality leather used making it the most comfortable to wear for long hours

+ Coiled cable<1.2M extendable to 3M>, think of managing the 3m cable every time

+ Can be used professionally/home comes with both Adapters, No need of amplifier plays good on all well know portable player

- Clamping needs getting used to

- Catches sweat easily on a sunny day

Rating: 9/10

Sound Quality:

To check SQ at different levels I used tools listed on top. There is little discussion on net saying that sansa fuze+ has better output then iPod touch but as per my observation iPod touch 3g and sansa fuze+ are on par with each other in most cases. And as far as my reports below in different segment they are purely my personal observations and feelings, all ways need not be the same for the readers.

As far as PC is considered I used Foobar with WASAPI enabled I have also tried with some VST plug-in but not giving my opinion about that in this review

View attachment 15856

Soundstage: As I perceived is not very large but decent enough the demo sounds are used to check this and it came out with flying colors there, but when it came to more complex music the alignment of directionality is not what I exactly expected. But to say imaging has been good for the price paid. And to keep reader out the fuss I don’t think any of its Competition in the same segment (Closed-back Dynamic).Will get any better than this pair of cans. Being a closed can this is where it compromises a bit.

Rating: 7.5/10

Bass: No doubt it’s the King I am enjoying this every minute I use it. It has very Tight and punchy bass

It is something that comes very close to a full size Speakers. Enjoy the bass with a punch into your head.

The low bass is specially mastered. It’s definite that your head will dwindle in joy when hearing music from some of those like Armada Trance collections

Rating: 10/10

Mid Range:
Is on balance with the bass but not exactly at its best, I did feel recessed in few songs (very few occasion’s) .But on the whole it maintains to be well Balanced. You will fall for its Astounding production of the mids when hearing the likes of Ali & Toumani...

Rating: 8.5/10

Treble: Once again it becomes a monster here. Everything comes to top notch. You will hear your every high pitch sound in detail even on full volume you won’t feel the fatigue be it that high metal, drums or whatever from likes of Option Paralysis, The Dillinger Escape plan and so on... I Bet u won’t get heated up

Rating: 9/10

On the whole this device is a Master piece and it has been ruling the Segment (within the price point) from quite some time now and no doubt it well deserves the Crown

My Conclusion:

If Music can take you high then M50 the best dope available at an unbelievably reasonable price.

From my point, I generally have very bad tendency to fall asleep when I listen to good quality music with this pair I am going to sleep within just 5 min.

Isolation at its best, Bass king, Treble is rocking, Extremely Comfy & Best in Class

So what are you waiting for ? don’t try for an excuse you will find none

On Whole my Rating would be 9/10

(To, be frankly I am nobody to speak about It. with 150+ positive reviews on the net it sings volumes

For itself)

As I read in one review now I agree with his saying:

A madman is one who ‘hears voices in his head’.

Headphone-user: ‘you are calling me a madman?

Author: Somasekhar reddy. Karri

Attachments

• P1030775.JPG
    P1030775.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 244
  • P1030798.JPG
    P1030798.JPG
    74.1 KB · Views: 212
  • P1030791.JPG
    P1030791.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 228
  • P1030788.JPG
    P1030788.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 255
  • P1030774.JPG
    P1030774.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 266
  • P1030779.JPG
    P1030779.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 268
  • P1030776.JPG
    P1030776.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 258
  • P1030257 (Copy).JPG
    P1030257 (Copy).JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 241
  • P1030323 (Copy).JPG
    P1030323 (Copy).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 236
  • P1030282 (Copy).JPG
    P1030282 (Copy).JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 215
Great review for a first timer. Enjoyed reading every word of it :). Though the M50 works very well straight out a good PMP like Fuze etc , Ive noticed that it does benefit from better source like a good desktop DAC .Especially in soundstage,micro detailing and control of bass ;).

FaH33m said:
Great review for a first timer. Enjoyed reading every word of it :). Though the M50 works very well straight out a good PMP like Fuze etc , Ive noticed that it does benefit from better source like a good desktop DAC .Especially in soundstage,micro detailing and control of bass ;).
Yeah i do agree with you,but my point is that it gives a decent performs even without external hardware As,many out there will be looking for this point, As many aren't really happy in spending that extra buck as they are already putting in a decent amount.

I don't find anything to criticize about the review - structure, content are all fine. So, I'll just offer a small suggestion or two - experiment with color scheme a bit more, the scores in orange and green are a nice touch, but the rating can be in a separate line following the comments (or just in bold format) to draw some more attention. Photos in the first couple of rows can be re-arranged a bit with a little more space around them.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement guys

@esantosh thanks for the Suggestion will make changes as said So, nice to visit the Audio Zone Compendium in your Sig.

These are the most fun headphones i've ever tried. 5 seconds of listening to these at an expo and I was certain I have to get these. It is perfect for fast paced music.

Great review, agree with almost everything you've written . I was in love with the M50's the moment i put them on. Be careful with the earpads though, i left them in the heat once and they became still and started cracking a bit. Finding replacement pads is a pain since even Gautam (Pristinenote) isn't able to source them, guess its time to use GEB again :(

Outstanding review for someone who has done it for the first time. Lovely read.

sid1712 said:
Great review, agree with almost everything you've written . I was in love with the M50's the moment i put them on. Be careful with the earpads though, i left them in the heat once and they became still and started cracking a bit. Finding replacement pads is a pain since even Gautam (Pristinenote) isn't able to source them, guess its time to use GEB again :(

Thanks to all your reminder mail. I have send a special request to Audio Techinca for the earpads for ATH-M50. We should be getting them in stock with our ATH-M50s.

Back