Laptops Resurrecting an old Compaq

shrjun

Disciple
I have a 5 year old Compaq Presario M2000 which seems to be working perfectly except for the following

1. Strange clicking noises coming from the 40 GB hard disk.

2. Occasional freezing when I run a web browser.

The only time it was opened up was to install an additional 512 MB RAM stick a few years ago.I know for a fact that there are no viruses/malware on the notebook.

http://www.techenclave.com/laptops/dell-complete-cover-is-amazing-166867.html - This thread has inspired :eek:hyeah: me to extend the life of the notebook - possibly use it only to stream music to my Audioengine speakers.

Q 1 . Is it advisable to spend any money rejuvenating this notebook - I will be buying possibly 2 Macbooks soon.

Q 2 . Are the hard disks available nowadays compatible with such an old product and what price could I get a replacement for ?

Q 3 . I realise that a part of the slowing down problem is because there are at least a 100 programs installed and the notebook has NEVER been formatted.It's currently running on XP.Is getting Windows 7 a good idea.What about driver compatibility ?

Q 4 . Is it possible to move all the software/documents from the old hard disk to the new one as some sort of image file,so that I don't have to spend time re-installing stuff ?

Would really like opinions on my situation.Thanx.

Ok.. I am sure that you might be aware that your hard disk may crash at any point.. (Though I've run disks that clicked for months together, you can never actually say when they are going to die)..

1. No

2. Yes..you need to get an IDE HDD. An 80 GB or 160 GB HDD will suffice.

3. No. You might want to check the link that lists Minimum Hardware requirements for 7: Windows 7 system requirements - Microsoft Windows

4. Well.. Yes.. Hardware independent imaging is a reality.. I have occasionally faced some minor bugs in the past while restoring.. But a definite possibility, although I would prefer a

migration/Fresh-installation routine on a new machine.

Back