Residents of Kolkata , Please help

Haha ! I see krishnandu has managed to scared you a little bit (albeit unintentionally). Don't worry. These clubs won't usually interfere much. Around September/October they will come to collect "chanda" for Durga puja. Give them a couple hundred and they should be happy. If they ask for more, politely explain that you can't afford more and give some excuses like you are living a alone and have to support your family etc etc. Anyway, the bottom-line is Bongs are usually a bit egoistic and sucker for respect. So if you keep that in mind and be polite, you should do absolutely fine in any situation. Keep a few numbers of your local colleagues / fellow TE resident members handy.

Yeah. Don't be too scared. The para culture is pretty non existent in this side of the city, that is, salt lake and probably new town. Again it depends on the locality. Where I stay, mostly educated people come to collect chanda, so obviously you won't find them stooping low unlike places where these groups are formed by local goons.

Thanks a lot guys. I kind of know what to expect now.
I am of course not thrilled by the idea of neighbors peeping in my life , but that seems to be the culture there.
Been living in independent homes in Bangalore and my friend too, and the culture here is non intrusive.
No one cares how you live , what you do. Hardly any stranger ever comes knocking on your door. Except for few Dominos coupon seller, no one disturbs you :p
If I see my or my friend's neighbor on a street , we won't even recognize each other.
But I can understand that Kolkata, being not as cosmopolitan as Banglore, would have it differenty.
Let's see how it goes.

Yeah Thanks to @sabby for explaining :)
Yeah I didn't have any intension to make him scared. But I have seen oversmart people to be in problem, that's why I just wanted to say that don't mess with them, instead be polite and everything will be fine. Bongs are the most emotional persons in India I guess :p

Back