Budget 71-90K Require a laptop for college purpose

OneTapHero

Disciple
Hello fellow members,
I'm currently in search of a new laptop that caters to my needs for coding in college (CSe). I can wait till the Independence Day sale to purchase one. I'm hoping to get some recommendations from the community here. Here are my specific requirements for the laptop:
  • Build Quality: I highly prefer a laptop with a metal build that is lightweight and easy to carry around.
  • Storage: An SSD is a must-have, and having two SSD slots would be a bonus.
  • Processor: I enjoy playing eSports and indie games from time to time, hence a laptop with a good iGPU would be preferable.
  • Display: While I'm fine with a 60Hz display, it's important to have great colour reproduction.
  • RAM: I need at least 16GB of RAM.
  • Budget: 80000 INR
  • Open to refurbs/used? No
  • Size: 15-16 inch
  • Weight: ~1.5kg
  • Purpose: Coding, Browsing
  • Usage: Photoshop, Visual Studio, Office, eSports
  • Battery life: Long (6-8 hours)
Any and all recommendations are welcomed!

Last edited:

The i5 is the full day H chip, so runs slightly hotter but performs better
I'm leaning towards companies like Lenovo, HP, Dell, ASUS that has a proper aftersales service division here. So, I have to skip on this

Has an OLED panel, can't get a better panel. Just use screensavers & turn on auto hide taskbar as precaution. CPU is rebadged R5 5600U. 2x M.2 slots are usually not found on non-gaming laptops.

Avoid Intel laptops if you need great battery life.

There's a prime day sale expected next month, just wait IMO.

Has an OLED panel, can't get a better panel. Just use screensavers & turn on auto hide taskbar as precaution. CPU is rebadged R5 5600U. 2x M.2 slots are usually not found on non-gaming laptops.

Avoid Intel laptops if you need great battery life.

There's a prime day sale expected next month, just wait IMO.
Are these models the same except for the refresh rate?

Edit: nvm, this is the 14inch model

Last edited:
If you plan to buy something in August, consider taking recommendations within your week of purchase. There will potentially be a completely different (and hopefully) better list of options to choose from.

I would highly suggest getting a Mac if you are not a hardcore gamer. I got my gaming laptop when I was in graduation but tbh after a few months the craze of games fades away and most friends anyhow played Pubg mobile so solo queueing in csgo was becoming tedious. However if you don't want to miss out on that stuff then you can look for a Legion model in that price range. Even a 1650 can run esports so don't fret much about processor just go to a store a see if you like feel of device. There are some options with metalbody and a 2GB GPU card in market but might as well skip them and go full gaming if you are actually buying for that.

I would highly suggest getting a Mac if you are not a hardcore gamer. I got my gaming laptop when I was in graduation but tbh after a few months the craze of games fades away and most friends anyhow played Pubg mobile so solo queueing in csgo was becoming tedious. However if you don't want to miss out on that stuff then you can look for a Legion model in that price range. Even a 1650 can run esports so don't fret much about processor just go to a store a see if you like feel of device. There are some options with metalbody and a 2GB GPU card in market but might as well skip them and go full gaming if you are actually buying for that.
I did look into Macbooks but I'm not sure of switching to MacOS as I switched back to Windows from Linux for convenience. Also, AppleCare costs me 27k which I most probably have to buy, which makes the Mac go out of my budget

I did look into Macbooks but I'm not sure of switching to MacOS as I switched back to Windows from Linux for convenience. Also, AppleCare costs me 27k which I most probably have to buy, which makes the Mac go out of my budget
If you are looking for Windows due to closed OS of mac then it's fine. I just meant don't do it for gaming unless absolutely necessary. If you can manage the device properly (should definitely since it's 80k) then Apple care is avoidable.

If you are looking for Windows due to closed OS of mac then it's fine. I just meant don't do it for gaming unless absolutely necessary. If you can manage the device properly (should definitely since it's 80k) then Apple care is avoidable.
As a user of the M1 Air since launch I must say, it is a great computer. However, as OP has indicated that he might need Apple Care I am assuming he is also considering repairability and after-sales support. If so, stay away, MacBooks are notoriously difficult to repair.

As a user of the M1 Air since launch I must say, it is a great computer. However, as OP has indicated that he might need Apple Care I am assuming he is also considering repairability and after-sales support. If so, stay away, MacBooks are notoriously difficult to repair.
My cousin is using a mac from 8 years with a battery replacement being the only issue till now. Mac is built like a tank in my limited experience so I said.

Back