Request Advice: How to power 4 SSDs connected to RPI

No its not USB2, it becomes what the device uses. Think of it like a USB pass through device. It doesn’t matter if the connection is USB3 or USB2 , because both those use the same 4 wire protocol. Just like a USB cable. There are no specific USB2 or USB3 cables.
?? As per my understanding, USB3 and above require 9 pins, including the vbus. With 4 pins you can only do up to usb2, 480 megabits/sec

?? As per my understanding, USB3 and above require 9 pins, including the vbus. With 4 pins you can only do up to usb2, 480 megabits/sec
OP has Pi 3b+, which doesn't have USB3 ports.

That said, if anyone was building a custom board like this, it would be nice to have some future proofing since USB3 is anyway backwards compatible.

OP has Pi 3b+, which doesn't have USB3 ports.

That said, if anyone was building a custom board like this, it would be nice to have some future proofing since USB3 is anyway backwards compatible.
Ah, in that case this board won't cause any further bottleneck. But, to reiterate, what @Heisen has developed is a USB2 power injector, and won't do anything over USB2.

Using a pi 3b+ as a nas is a terrible idea, because
a. The usb ports are usb 2, crippling your ssd bandwidth. Even if that's not a concern,
b. Even the ethernet port is connected over USB2 internally, max transfers in and out of that nic is going to be ~300mbps realistically

If possible, please upgrade to rpi 4. It has 2x usb3, so even with a usb hub, splitting the bandwidth 4 ways you get 1.25gbps each port. Also, the ethernet is true gigabit connected over pcie, not USB.

USB3 and above require 9 pins, including the vbus. With 4 pins you can only do up to usb2, 480 megabits/sec
Yes, you are correct that USB3 has 9 pins, I had a brain fart there. My apologies.

But, to reiterate, what @Heisen has developed is a USB2 power injector, and won't do anything over USB2.
Yet, time make it usb3.

it would be nice to have some future proofing since USB3 is anyway backwards compatible.
As I read the USB3, USB3.1 and USB3.2 use the same 9 pin connection, so if usb3 connector is used, it will be forward compatible as well.

Actually whatever I can. I want to keep copies of important documents in this. I do expect to at least have about 100 Mbps for delta updates from the laptop now that I have backed up the base set.

Again I am not expecting performance but reliability from the file system on the drives. I can live with hardware failure but I must not lose data. Currently I am using a simple lvm mirror across two 120 GB drives & plan to add another volume of mirrored 480 GB drives.

This is my third copy of the data. Laptop, NAS & this.

Last edited:
Actually whatever I can. I want to keep copies of important documents in this. I do expect to at least have about 100 Mbps for delta updates from the laptop now that I have backed up the base set.

Again I am not expecting performance but reliability from the file system on the drives. I can live with hardware failure but I must not lose data. Currently I am using a simple lvm mirror across two 120 GB drives & plan to add another volume of mirrored 480 GB drives.

This is my third copy of the data. Laptop, NAS & this.
If what you're looking for is data consistency and backup, I'll really recommend you build a cheap nas but with PC hardware rather than using a RPI.
  • The RPI is just not powerful enough to power HDDs which you can easily do with a proper mobo.
  • The bus on RPI3 is shared b/w USB/Ethernet, so when doing something like a disk read, you'll effectively have half of the bandwidth available as half will be taken by data over USB. https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=207940
  • For data consistency, you should consider using a ZFS filesystem across your storage. It has built in mechanisms for storage and timely detection/correction of errors.
  • Here's the network tests of different RPI models: https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-internet-speed/
  • You can see the bandwidth here for network-only communication, what you get will be effectively half of this.
A RPI3B was my first nas with a simple 320G hdd from a old pc. I learnt things the hard way and therefore moved to my old Intel DualCore which was then not powerful for serving/transcoding media.
The current NAS I have is built on i5-3470 with 4x2TB and performs well except for a few things.

let me know if you have any more questions...

If what you're looking for is data consistency and backup, I'll really recommend you build a cheap nas but with PC hardware rather than using a RPI.
  • The RPI is just not powerful enough to power HDDs which you can easily do with a proper mobo.
  • The bus on RPI3 is shared b/w USB/Ethernet, so when doing something like a disk read, you'll effectively have half of the bandwidth available as half will be taken by data over USB. https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=207940
  • For data consistency, you should consider using a ZFS filesystem across your storage. It has built in mechanisms for storage and timely detection/correction of errors.
  • Here's the network tests of different RPI models: https://notenoughtech.com/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-internet-speed/
  • You can see the bandwidth here for network-only communication, what you get will be effectively half of this.
A RPI3B was my first nas with a simple 320G hdd from a old pc. I learnt things the hard way and therefore moved to my old Intel DualCore which was then not powerful for serving/transcoding media.
The current NAS I have is built on i5-3470 with 4x2TB and performs well except for a few things.

let me know if you have any more questions...
Second this advice. Used/refurbished tiny PCs pr NUCs also work great. And they'll have enough power to run 4 SSDs off USB.

USB3

1692819556349.png

1692819671676.png

1692819759006.png
1692819781514.png

Attachments

• External_Power_USB3.zip
    102.1 KB · Views: 68
I think that will be fine.
Okay will do, it will be able to provide 15watt of power, spread across 4 USB ports.

We are half way there in developing this niche product, now it has got my full interest, I will order the PCBs and slap on those components, when I get free time. I might be able to send you one in the future, but don't quote me on that. ;)

You can get powered usb hub.
It won't matter if you do it via 4 usb or 1 usb via hub. The speed will still be same as those port share same bandwidth.

Usb 3 will have 6gbps max. RPi have shared 4.8gbps pcie lane for all 4 ports.

Last edited:
Okay will do, it will be able to provide 15watt of power, spread across 4 USB ports.

We are half way there in developing this niche product, now it has got my full interest, I will order the PCBs and slap on those components, when I get free time. I might be able to send you one in the future, but don't quote me on that. ;)
Hi were you able to make some progress on this? @Heisen

Back