Replacing my old PC

chiron

Skilled
My old pc mobo has failed(led light on mobo is displayed but it doesn't power up at all) and I'm thinking of upgrading it instead of wasting time trying to get it repaired.

I need suggestions for proc+mobo+ram for very low end requirements. To be used as a kid's pc which they can screw up as they like, learn a bit of word, typing, play some old games, ocassional 700mb movie and in general get familiarized with a computer. The requirements were easily met with my 11 year old rig so I want to get it back and running as cheap as possible.

Also if possible I'd like to sell the processor/ram as they are working fine afaict... how much can I get for them?

Q: What is your budget?

Around 5K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - Athlon Tbird 1.2ghz

Motherboard - Asus A7V

GPU - Geforce 2 MX

RAM - 3 X 256MB 133mhz sdram

Monitor - Samsung 17"

SMPS - 400W generic

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

Monitor - Samsung 17"

SMPS - 400W generic

Generic keyboard, cabinet, mouse, speakers

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

Yes

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

2D Gaming(Age of Empries, Zeus, World of Goo, flash games etc), Browsing, Desktop Processing

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

Gaming - 1024x728

Q: Are you looking to overclock?

No

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

Windows XP

Also recommend me a really vfm tv tuner card(separate budget).

^^ are there any cheaper mobos(such as from biostar etc). Also how much for 1gb ram(I'm sure that will suffice as the requirements are really low end and price is a significant consideration)?

Back