repeater using wired connection for wireless network extension

100khz

Disciple
Very specifically - I want to extend my existing wireless network. But i do not want a repeater to use existing wireless signal to further extend. Instead i want my repeater's wan port to get internet connection and transmit wireless connection in my house but not making another seperate network but extending existing connection of my main router.. So that i can move in my entire house with same wifi connection..

I think i have not confused you guys..

I think, may be this is not possible.. but wanted to confirm with you guys..

please suggest..

i did this exact with airport extreme and express routers.
dont have exact idea how other routers work in this.

@blr_p
pls guide us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very specifically - I want to extend my existing wireless network. But i do not want a repeater to use existing wireless signal to further extend. Instead i want my repeater's wan port to get internet connection and transmit wireless connection in my house but not making another seperate network but extending existing connection of my main router..
Hmm....

[modem]---[switch]----[wifi router 1] )))))))

.....[switch]----[wifi router 2] ))))))

That's two different networks on two different channels.

Now you want to bond them somehow so they appear as one. I'm not sure how to do that.

Why do you want to do it in this specific way ie repeater getting direct internet connection ?

However attaching a wired AP off the LAN port of router 1 will do what you want. But you will be connecting to the LAN port of router 2 not its WAN port.

ae.JPG

here is what i did.[DOUBLEPOST=1365165370][/DOUBLEPOST]http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4260

http://www.officecafe.com/blog/2008/09/extend-wireless-range-with-airport-extreme/

Sorry to post in the thread OP, but I have a similar query

I have a netgear wireless router which has repeater functionality.

Current wireless router that I am using is a Buffalo on ddwrt.

How do I extend the wireless range using netgear?

Sorry to post in the thread OP, but I have a similar query

I have a netgear wireless router which has repeater functionality.

Current wireless router that I am using is a Buffalo on ddwrt.

How do I extend the wireless range using netgear?
Same way, connect the netgear to the buffalo using ethernet. You turn the netgear into a wired AP, provided it supports AP functionality. Check the netgear manual.

no no.
its connected to lan port of main AEBS.
I was referring to the AP's port. All going into the WAN in your diagaram.

Connecting to LAN turns the AP into a switch for wired devices. You are not using those in your present config.

Access Point[DOUBLEPOST=1365166713][/DOUBLEPOST]
Does it have to stay connected to the buffalo router?
If its connected by a wire then you retain the wifi speed the netgear is made for.

If its connected by wireless as in a repeater then you halve the speed as wifi is half duplex. netgear must listen to buffalo first via wifi then retransmit onto your wifi client connected to the netgear. For basic web browsing this will not be an issue.

You will have to check whether the netgear can function as a repeater to use it in this way.

I'm really bad at networking :(

I'll post a few shots of the net gear config page.

I would want to know how to implement both options as taking a wire to the router in the middle of the house might not be a possibility

I'll post a few shots of the net gear config page.
Post the manual.

I would want to know how to implement both options as taking a wire to the router in the middle of the house might not be a possibility
How much throughput do you need from the repeater ?

Somebody mentioned that repeaters needed to be rebooted very couple of days whereas the wired one just worked.

Do you have a mix of wifi clients g+n or only n ?

Post the manual.

How much throughput do you need from the repeater ?

Somebody mentioned that repeaters needed to be rebooted very couple of days whereas the wired one just worked.

Do you have a mix of wifi clients g+n or only n ?
Trying to find the manual.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365167726.199450.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365167756.984713.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365167779.619213.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365167796.180796.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365167810.880867.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365167828.646309.jpg

I have G+N

I need max throughput[DOUBLEPOST=1365168134][/DOUBLEPOST]PSA

Attachments

• WGR614v10_SM_03DEC2009.pdf
    968.5 KB · Views: 340
You won't get it. The repeater will wok half as fast.

Further, a g client drags the speed down to 54Mbs, if its at the edge of the network it will drag it down even further as it hogs the network longer than faster clients. When its done the speed goes back up.

The problem with mixed clients is there can be disconnects at random times. Depends how mature the routers firmware is in dealing with mixed environment. Its going to be 'fun' getting this to work and keeping it working.

An alternative ?

Let the g clients hook up to the g router.

Let the n clients hook upto the n router.

No repeating + no mixing = max performance :)

2 different SSIDs on 2 different channels

The netgear will be wired to the buffalo in this case and not acting as a wireless repeater.

[modem]-->[buffalo (n) on channel 1] ))))--> [netgear(g) as AP on channel 11] ))))))

Keep the routers 6 feet apart.

Whitelists on both routers so only the 'right' clients associate with either.

I'll change the channels.
I have a LAN cable heading to my brother's PC at the other end of the house.

Will change Netgear to AP and connect his PC to another LAN port on Netgear.

With DHCP disabled I think it should work.

Since the signal from buffalo doesn't reach his room, I'll keep the SSID the same.

Is that fine?

Back