Renewal of Driving License

Is it possible & allow to have 2 valid license in one state but different for different district?
Isn't the RTO officer ask for Test, before issuing NEW license?
I guess No, everyone should have a single license
Asking for a Test for a learning license - No
Visit to whom? RTO or Agent? and what it mean by Permanent, isn't 2nd but NEW license is permanent?
If you are fine visiting RTO directly then its the best thing but that takes time and you will have to roam around as those "babus" sitting in windows have there cut with every agent so I was referring to an Agent, the actual fee is less the 5000 this amount include total package deal that have agent charges.
The second license you are applying will act like a complete new one so the first month it will be temporary and then you are eligible for applying for Permanent.

P.S. There is one confusion that others can answer, The complete new license was suggested when the original was already expired, I am not sure if your friend can apply for a new license while having a valid license available. Check this with an agent or wait for an existing license to expire

I inquired in a driving school in my city via a via via person and they can renew it for a nominal charge! Thats it!
where are you from? city & RTO City. PM me if you wish.

Can your agent help all things get done online? All documents are proper so no worry about paper work, but only issue he don't have time to visit RTO

where are you from? city & RTO City. PM me if you wish.

Can your agent help all things get done online? All documents are proper so no worry about paper work, but only issue he don't have time to visit RTO
Mumbai!.No agent but someone inquired for me few months ago in some driving school. And they said they do it for a nominal aka regular rate just that have to present at their office for some formalities which I'm unaware of! Same was suggested to me by current cities local driving school that any driving school where the license was issued originally can do it for a nominal; charge or one can visit rto and get it done on his own or agents are always there in rto premises.

I still have 2yrs of time to renew so no headache ftw..

Bumping this not so old thread.

I hope many of you use Digilocker app.
Has anyone by chance managed to retrieve/fetch driving license details from this app for the older paper license type ?

Bumping this not so old thread.

I hope many of you use Digilocker app.
Has anyone by chance managed to retrieve/fetch driving license details from this app for the older paper license type ?
Yes, only If you had a card license (electronic) and your state has provided access to the database. Most states have, some are holding back. If you had a paper or a punched card license then it's not been entered into the database. You need to raise a request with the RTO and have that done specially.

If you had a paper or a punched card license then it's not been entered into the database. You need to raise a request with the RTO and have that done specially.
you are right, no luck for me as I have paper license, I ask one driving school and he told, while renewing license (for Rs.1500/- only) they will convert it to Electronic/Card and latter only can save it to Digilocker etc. if wish.

you are right, no luck for me as I have paper license, I ask one driving school and he told, while renewing license (for Rs.1500/- only) they will convert it to Electronic/Card and latter only can save it to Digilocker etc. if wish.
Mumbai!.No agent but someone inquired for me few months ago in some driving school. And they said they do it for a nominal aka regular rate just that have to present at their office for some formalities which I'm unaware of! Same was suggested to me by current cities local driving school that any driving school where the license was issued originally can do it for a nominal; charge or one can visit rto and get it done on his own or agents are always there in rto premises.

I still have 2yrs of time to renew so no headache ftw..
I am in Mumbai and I got my paper license converted to the card one 4 years back. I had to pay something like 3k to the local driving school, but it was express service at the RTO where they bypassed the long queue and ushered me in directly to the various departments, so it took less than half an hour. It sucks, but if time is important, greasing hands seems to be the only option.

I am in Mumbai and I got my paper license converted to the card one 4 years back. I had to pay something like 3k to the local driving school, but it was express service at the RTO where they bypassed the long queue and ushered me in directly to the various departments, so it took less than half an hour. It sucks, but if time is important, greasing hands seems to be the only option.
My license expiry date in near so Driving School person advice me to pay Rs.1500/- one time only while renewal and at same time it will converted in electronic card also. He also told if I want Electronic Card now than it will cost Rs.1500/-

My license expiry date in near so Driving School person advice me to pay Rs.1500/- one time only while renewal and at same time it will converted in electronic card also. He also told if I want Electronic Card now than it will cost Rs.1500/-
Is this for Mumbai? And do we need to be present at the rto for any checks for renewals or the agent/driving school person handles everything ?

Is this for Mumbai? And do we need to be present at the rto for any checks for renewals or the agent/driving school person handles everything ?
In my case, I had to be at the RTO for the conversion but the driving school instructor ushered me directly to every department and got it done in less than half an hour.

For renewals, it seems you can fill the forms online but still need to submit at the RTO, so going through a driving school will save waiting time.

I just enquire via phone call and as he advice to visit him 3 months before expiry, so no personal visit yet to driving school.

If you are over 40 years old, you must provide a Medical Certificate from a registered medical practitioner. Form 1-A.

When you apply for renewal online, make sure to upload a scan.

Old paper driving license holders, did you tried the below link which mentions how to convert old format to new 16 digit ?

1706208949894.png

Last edited:
Ok. Try this another method.

Go to https://parivahan.gov.in/

On the menu, click as shown..

1706268440939.png

The select your state on the next page.

Skip the prompt on the next page.

On the menu, click as shown..

1706268612071.png

And it will open this page..

1706268292497.png

Try these 4 suggested formats and check..

Last edited:
Same again.
Details of given DL Number not available in the central Repository, On line applications provision is given only if the Driving Licence Details is available in the central Repository. However those candidates whose licence data not available in central Repository, can get the service by Concern RTO / RLA Authority.
This is the message I am getting. My DL was obtained way back in 1998, so I'm guessing it has and will not be uploaded online until I renew it when it expires 6 years from now.

Back