Security Software Remove SearchOnme virus / hijack tool

raksrules

Elite
My laptop seems to have got infected with the searchonme virus. It has hijacked my searches and all searches i do from address bar of any browser is redirected to the searchonme website. There is no easy way to remove this. Reading on the internet i found that this thing comes mostly bundled with some shareware tools etc. There are various ways mentioned on the net to remove this thing but it is confusing for me and unable to decide which is good way ? I have AVG antivirus which seems to be junk as it is not detecting this thing and usually never detects anything. So also additionally suggest some good free antivirus which has these malware protection as well as real time protection.
Also i have seen that everytime i close the chrome browser my AD Block Plus extension is uninstalled by itself. This searchonme thing gets money by displaying ads in search results so i am pretty sure this virus is causing the extension to get uninstalled everytime.

^How can you say its a virus? There are tons of crapwares installed along with many softwares which alter your browser setting. First disable all the unwanted extensions in chrome, then uninstall any fishy thing you find (sometimes you can't disable extensions permanently until you uninstall it). Make sure no addon & toolbars except you require are left.

Regarding antivirus, I use and trust ESET (its paid though). For free, give avast or Avira a try. I have seen avast failing quite a times though. Plus do keep Malwarebytes.

@raksrules : If you are not comfortable with the various self-do solutions online, check out BleepingComputer. It is, hands down, one of the best community to ask questions on when hit by malware, virus etc. The members are very knowledgeable and you will get step by step instructions on what to do. Try it out !

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding antivirus, I use and trust ESET (its paid though). For free, give avast or Avira a try. I have seen avast failing quite a times though. Plus do keep Malwarebytes.

Can you tell me in what scenario's it fails? I'm using it and that line from you concerns me. If its failing lot of times then there's a problem. So asking you to share your info on this so i can take precautions.

Can you tell me in what scenario's it fails? I'm using it and that line from you concerns me. If its failing lot of times then there's a problem. So asking you to share your info on this so i can take precautions.

Many times its real time protection is a bit late, i.e. catches the virus after malicious code is injected in a system process (normally explorer.exe). Also, when you open a folder, real time scanning is supposed to scan that folder "actively", but avast most of the times doesn't do that, instead, when I double click to open the virus, then only it detects it. I don't know if anybody is comfortable with this kind of protection or not, but at least I'm not.

raks, download these files and attach log here.
http://download.eset.com/special/eos/esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe run it and when scan gets completed, click on list of found threats. save it to desktop and post it.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tdsskiller/dl/4/ Click on change parameters-Select TDLFS file system after you run it. You will get log in root of c drive.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/dl/65/
mini.jpg
use the options as shown below. the log will open in a text window which you need to save somewhere or copy paste it here.

I will attach the log by today evening if possible. As of now i uninstalled firefox and chrome and reinstalled it which seems to have fixed the default address bar search for now.

^Good, but there was no need to reinstall them. You could've got rid of the culprit by just removing the extension/program(in form of toolbar).

Back