Remotely playing games on PC

I will be travelling to my hometown (~1000kms away) for a month or so and I won't be carrying my PC with me. I'll be having my laptop (which is incapable of running any modern games). Can I somehow render games on my PC and play them via my laptop remotely? I have good internet at both the places, Airtel fibre at PC, Jio at home. I will be playing single player story-driven games only so a little extre lag shouldn't cause any problem to my gameplay.

Thanks.

I will be travelling to my hometown (~1000kms away) for a month or so and I won't be carrying my PC with me. I'll be having my laptop (which is incapable of running any modern games). Can I somehow render games on my PC and play them via my laptop remotely? I have good internet at both the places, Airtel fibre at PC, Jio at home. I will be playing single player story-driven games only so a little extre lag shouldn't cause any problem to my gameplay.

Thanks.
nope!

Yes!! Bonus smoothness if you have an Xbox controller. The tool is Parsec, basically the baap of teamviewer.

If you have a relatively new laptop, you could take advantage of H265 encoding. I played Detroit being human via parsec, had only minute issue with input delays, which was alleviated when using a controller. Multiplayers like Apex Legends worked but was a laggy experience.

If your motherboard supports it (Which it likely does) you could enable Wake-on-LAN to start and turn off your PC, saving you a tonne on electricity.

I once tried Steam Remote Play last year. It was laggy and the video quality was very poor. Dunno why. Will give it a try again.

Yes!! Bonus smoothness if you have an Xbox controller. The tool is Parsec, basically the baap of teamviewer.

If you have a relatively new laptop, you could take advantage of H265 encoding. I played Detroit being human via parsec, had only minute issue with input delays, which was alleviated when using a controller. Multiplayers like Apex Legends worked but was a laggy experience.

If your motherboard supports it (Which it likely does) you could enable Wake-on-LAN to start and turn off your PC, saving you a tonne on electricity.
Thanks, will surely look into it. I remember reading about Parsec a few years ago.

I'm not sure if my laptop supports native HW based H.265 encoding/decoding. It is 8 years old, i7-4470HQ+860M. Although I can play H.265 videos in VLC and it runs fine.

My router and motherboard supports WakeOnLAN but it is behind 2 NATs. Will I be able to access it from outside?

Last edited:
Why not try free US VPN + some cloud gaming like Geforce Now or XCloud
Won't that cost money? I can try those if they are free. I'm not sure how much I'll be playing, maybe 1-2 hours a week, 10 hours in total, just guessing, hence would like not to spend money on it. Other than that, will I be able to load my steam game saves?

I haven't explored cloud gaming services at all, will look into it. Thanks.

Won't that cost money? I can try those if they are free. I'm not sure how much I'll be playing, maybe 1-2 hours a week, 10 hours in total, just guessing, hence would like not to spend money on it. Other than that, will I be able to load my steam game saves?

I haven't explored cloud gaming services at all, will look into it. Thanks.
You should login in vpn while connecting. After that you can disable vpn. I have setup this for my friend.

I think 1-2 hours per week is very less and free tier will work fine.

Try following

This works well but you will need good internet on both sides or you will loose lot of quality as parsec using encoding and decoding to stream the desktop remotely.

This works well but you will need good internet on both sides or you will loose lot of quality as parsec using encoding and decoding to stream the desktop remotely.
Would realtime encoding/decoding require good hardware on the receiving end (laptop)? The internet is good enough on both ends (100Mbps Fibre conenction) & has good latency in general.

Would realtime encoding/decoding require good hardware on the receiving end (laptop)? The internet is good enough on both ends (100Mbps Fibre conenction) & has good latency in general.
For context, I used my system (R7 2700, RX 570 on 5 mbps speed network) and my Dell Venue 10 Pro (on a 20 mbps network) for decodig (old windows tablet). I could comfortably play at 720p 30 fps, but increasing fps / resolution gave me artifacting. On the tabet screen, 720p (1280*800 to be honest) was good enough experience. Since you have a 3070 encoding would be least of your concern lol

For context, I used my system (R7 2700, RX 570 on 5 mbps speed network) and my Dell Venue 10 Pro (on a 20 mbps network) for decodig (old windows tablet). I could comfortably play at 720p 30 fps, but increasing fps / resolution gave me artifacting. On the tabet screen, 720p (1280*800 to be honest) was good enough experience. Since you have a 3070 encoding would be least of your concern lol
Thanks for the input. I was concerend about the decoding part (on the laptop) but decoding doesn't take much and I guess I'll be able to play just fine.

As long as you can play full hd videos on the laptop parsec should work fine...for context i have used zbox to play games on full hd and it worked ok.

Last edited:
Back