Windows Remote connection setup between win 8.1 and win 10

cri_sss

Disciple
Hi

I would like to seek your suggestions in connecting remotely to machine.

I have Win 10 pro desktop and Win 8.1 pro laptop. I would like to connect laptop to desktop remotely and laptop is going to be in overseas ip (Australia) and desktop in India primarily to access files and carry out tasks and resolve any issue when my sister uses the machine. She has her account in the same pc.

With Overseas IP can i connect to my desktop using cmd mstsc for remote connection, entering IP address of the PC should be suffice or both to be under same domain name. I have enabled rdp option in win 10 machine.

with IP address is dynamic, do i need ask someone here to find the IP address by logging into win 10 machine and then use rdp or is there any simpler way to connect remotely.

Few years back used team viewer but it is just okay but need to enter ip address every time and unstable connections.

Sorry if this is something basic but I could not find detailed information on how to setup both machines before i travel abroad.

Enabling remote access, does compromise security from to hackers ?

Thanks.

TeamViewer has improved so much over the years. I've been using it for over a deacade to help my friends & family.
TeamViewer has an unattended setup mode in which the remote machine just needs to be switched on and connected to the internet. You can remote into it anytime from anywhere.

AnyDesk also works well but I never used it much.

As others have suggested,
TeamViewer is a hassle-free option, Install the TeamViewer host on the PC that will be in India and install the full version on your laptop, and that should be all but do note that they now bug you to create an account for any sort of access which is a pain, but again the speeds are good.
Another option is Tailscale best of the rest but it does take some configuration to do so it would be better to test everything beforehand. You also need an account here but it's a necessity rather than the buggy-ness of TeamViewer.
I've used Teamviewer for over 12 years, I've used ConnectWise Control for 3+ years I would take TeamViewer any day over other remote control software. And I personally use TailScale on my home network.

Thanks Guys. I tried anydesk, tailscale and teamviewer but felt teamviewer is easy to configure to my needs.

I didn't understand configuring tailscale. Any desk able to create account but not allowing to logon , getting message as timed out to connect.

I didn't know i had created an account with team viewer few years back.

One more thing how can screen can be kept locked while accessing the remote machine in team viewer.

First I do connect to remote machine after my sister logged into the machine. whenever helping her she can see the screen which is okay to me.

But when i switched to my account logon , logging off and logged into my account (entering my pwd) i want the screen to be locked. Is this possible?

Back