Remedy to chronic back-pain

Kilroyquasar

4 seconds, inhale; 4 seconds, exhale.
Skilled
Hello everyone!

seeking opinions and suggestions from members here based on their own experience in dealing with this affliction, either to someone close or otherwise.

my fatherji has a weak lower back. y'day while performing household chores, he somehow got it badly hurt (no fall or anything, but may be some wrong posture or some sprain), and since then he is in pain. he is in his 50s, and otherwise quite fit. he follows a demanding regimen daily, of exercise and work. he's not muscular or bulky, but fit. however, his lower back has always been his weak point, and has kept troubling him since long, intermittently. with growing age, it is proving more troublesome, understandably. sometime back, he was advised by the physician not to perform activities/exercises that require too much forward-bending, as well as running, and he has been avoiding doing them. however, he does exercises for the core and the back, which do not require such a bending (for eg, supine hamstrings-stretch, a couple of abdominal sit-ups, a few yogaasana, etc.).

he gets up quite early in the morning, and goes for a brisk morning-walk for about an hour (he walks FAST. i think this may be one culprit for his weakening lower-back too, ie, the consistent daily walks without little rest, given his already weak lower-back). and then follows it up with exercises and praanaayaam. however, he is quite unforgiving in all this, and we all at home think that he over-exerts himself, with scant regard to rest. comes back by 2100 hrs at night from office, and gets up at 0430 hrs again to begin the day. and he is quite adamant too, in listening to others' suggestions, unless its being told by a physician. tough to make him listen and follow. but nevertheless, takes good care of himself, apart from the exertion part.

anyway, the doctor has now told him for a complete 10-day rest, and he is on medication. has been provided with a back-support to be worn while walking. he has been told that if the pain persists, and it starts percolating downwards, an MRI would need to be done, to judge for any chances of a slipped-disc or a wearing disc. though he has told that this one instance is not worrisome and should go away with good rest, but still, we are worried. would like to invite suggestions from members here, on alternative (rehabilitative, strengthening) therapies post this period, after he gets well, to work on his back, based on your own experiences of either yourselves, or someone near you. i for one keep on insisting him to start exercising with light weights as well to strengthen and rejuvenate body's muscles, and am all ready to teach him properly, but he literally runs away from the sight of weights. had even bought a weights-set for him sometime back, which is still waiting for it to be used by him. i think after this episode, i would ask the doctor myself whether he can be put to a few resistance exercises to strengthen his lower-back muscles or not, and if he says 'yes', then my fatherji won't have any excuse!

please suggest. and thanks for reading this long write-up!

for a start, i have advised him to use a harder bed to sleep, and avoid sitting on the soft-back chairs for prolonged periods that are usual in offices today, and keep changing to a hard-back chair in between. this is because i personally have felt the repercussions of both of these, and our daily 'modern' life where most of the time we keep sitting, mostly on soft-back chairs (in buses, offices, etc.) and then sleeping on soft-mattresses, makes matters worse!

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as the MRI scan doesn't reveal anything new, the answer/solution lies in your post. It has to be either this:

or this:

nice to see your reply! will discuss with the doctor on this the next time.

take an MRI. don't wait till pain radiates.

what are his dietary habits?

_

modest; and he has a good hunger & 'digestive-fire'.
breakfast (a fruit, mostly a banana, 2 chapatis made of mixed-grain flour, and a vegetable, and a glass of warm milk), lunch (regular, home-made, comprising of dal, chapatis, vegetable, rice, and on weekends, with a cup of curd or a glass of buttermilk, and roasted paapad), evening-snack (roasted chana or roasted namkeen, or a fruit like an apple or a custard apple, if feel like having it), followed by regular dinner. has a wafer of 'raajgeera chikki' post-dinner, but doesn't like sweet eatables much. doesn't munch on anything in between these.
he is a teetotaller, as well as very strictly avoids oily, fried, & spicy stuff, and sweetmeats, and even when eating outside, if left without much options, he atleast regulates his eating accordingly. no eggs and non-veg. likes to have sprouted grams and pulses a lot, but usually takes it on weekend-mornings, with a cup of papaya, and sometimes boiled corn mixed with peas, carrots, tomato-slices. takes other things like soaked almonds, soaked flax-seeds and fenugreek-seeds in the morning, salad, and drinks a lot of water (a glass, hourly).
am concerned over somewhat lack of proper amount of protein in his diet, but am not sure whether at his age, and for his roster, he needs it more than what he already consumes or not, but i guess he would've to slightly increase intake of it; however, he avoids eating paneer due to concerns over cholesterol, and moreover, he doesn't like its taste. as i wrote earlier, he is a little stiff in listening to others, and maintains that he gets his required intake of protein from his nuts, milk, pulses. i have tried much to convince him to eat small amounts of paneer too sometimes in a week, given his physical-exertion, and also trying to substitute it with tofu soon. nevertheless, would first ask him to consult his doctor once on whether that would do any good.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a great diet. I'm no doctor but as far as my nutritional knowledge goes he is right about proteins, infact latest research says taking too much of proteins (esp. animal/dairy proteins) turns out to be counterproductive and causes osterioporosis. I asked about diet because I just wanted to say taking lot of inflammation causing foods might hamper the muscle and joint recovery (for eg wheat is acidic and the gluten is inflammatory, so its intake can be reduced). a lot of physical activity (like exercise) causes more oxidative stress in our bodies, to compensate for that foods rich in anti-oxidants can be taken like green tea or even tea without milk (or just increase the proportion of green leafy veggies & fruits compared to grains). also ghee is good for joints. walnuts are also great along with almonds.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vegan-protein-status/
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/reducing-muscle-fatigue-with-citrus/
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cholesterol-and-lower-back-pain/

http://www.homeveda.com/aches-and-pains/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-back-pain.html

_

that's a great diet. I'm no doctor but as far as my nutritional knowledge goes he is right about proteins, infact latest research says taking too much of proteins (esp. animal/dairy proteins) turns out to be counterproductive and causes osterioporosis. I asked about diet because I just wanted to say taking lot of inflammation causing foods might hamper the muscle and joint recovery (for eg wheat is acidic and the gluten is inflammatory, so its intake can be reduced). a lot of physical activity (like exercise) causes more oxidative stress in our bodies, to compensate for that foods rich in anti-oxidants can be taken like green tea or even tea without milk (or just increase the proportion of green leafy veggies & fruits compared to grains). also ghee is good for joints. walnuts are also great along with almonds.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/vegan-protein-status/
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/reducing-muscle-fatigue-with-citrus/
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/cholesterol-and-lower-back-pain/

http://www.homeveda.com/aches-and-pains/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-back-pain.html

_

thanks for the links!!
and i'll keep in mind what you wrote about proteins and anti-oxidants. i was wishing he could have just a little more of protein, but won't nudge him about it anymore, unless the doctor himself specifies so. also, he doesn't drink tea, but green tea is 'famous' at our home (as it is, worldwide), and he certainly can take small cups of them once-twice; apart from that, would suggest increasing intake of leafy veggies slightly. that was some good info about oxidative stress due to exercise. even i would now make a habit of taking green tea a few times in a week. he takes ghee as well, but only minimal (only in dal, ie, one teaspoon a day. that quantity may be good for his heart, but am not sure whether they suffice for his joints or not, as he does complain about joint-aches acquired from exercises too.). walnuts also form a part of his diet, though not on a daily basis, but say, once in 2-3 days.

thanks again!!
will go through the pages.

P.S. - i got to know an additional thing today about an aunt of mine. in some ailment (some musucular condition only), she was prescribed a painkiller earlier, which was apparently not working, and later on a doctor prescribed her just a few multi-vitamin tabs/capsules, with NO painkillers, and she told she immediately felt relief with them! i guess, in the rush of our daily lives and the kind of diet we take, our body misses on some essential nutrients, which can also be due to missing some critical foodstuff in our daily diet (not everyone makes it a habit to eat various kinds of fruits and other things daily; there's not much of a 'quality variety' left in our diets), and therein such supplements come to rescue! people/professionals engaged in heavy physical-regimen, like wrestlers, power/weightlifters, martial artists, etc. too take vitamins and minerals-supplements, as their bodies demand more and better nutrition; so from this too, we can understand the important roles of micronutrients for us.

Last edited:
+ 1 on him shifting to a hard back & seated chair; also sleeping on a hardened or semi hardened bed or on the floor.
Not sure if ur plan to get him to use weights to strengthen his back muscles is wise.
He actually needs to provide prolonged rest to his back for at least 3-6 months & abstain from any vigorous excercise regimes during this period.[DOUBLEPOST=1377541826][/DOUBLEPOST]PS - His food habits and diet is great. Do not get bogged down by lack of certain vitamins or mega proteins that you may read/hear from modern science speaks ..... THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH SPINAL PROBLEMS.

+ 1 on him shifting to a hard back & seated chair; also sleeping on a hardened or semi hardened bed or on the floor.
Not sure if ur plan to get him to use weights to strengthen his back muscles is wise.
He actually needs to provide prolonged rest to his back for at least 3-6 months & abstain from any vigorous excercise regimes during this period.

even am not sure on that. the power to take a decision on that lies with the physician, to whom i would consult. i have in my mind to just move him to use an empty barbell (non-olympic one), and a pair of very light dumbbells (DBs, only if need be), ie, just enough weight. however, yes, atleast at this stage, proper rest, and some active benevolence on the body and mind is of prime importance, for the time to come as well.

all vitamin supplements have some problems except vitamin b12. also the bioavailability of vitamins/nutrients in pill form is abysmal compared to natural foods. so it is always safe to cover all our essential nutrients in form of veggies, fruits, nuts than to take supplements. also ghee is found to reduce bad cholestrol (LDL), maintain good cholestrol (HDL) and burns fat, so increasing it a bit won't hurt.

as terence says prolonged rest is the key. I have had two major spine surgeries and can understand the pain. even standing and sitting is work for the spine, esp. at that age, so rest in this period is very important for healing.

_

all vitamin supplements have some problems except vitamin b12. also the bioavailability of vitamins/nutrients in pill form is abysmal compared to natural foods. so it is always safe to cover all our essential nutrients in form of veggies, fruits, nuts than to take supplements. also ghee is found to reduce bad cholestrol (LDL), maintain good cholestrol (HDL) and burns fat, so increasing it a bit won't hurt.

as terence says prolonged rest is the key. I have had two major spine surgeries and can understand the pain. even standing and sitting is work for the spine, esp. at that age, so rest in this period is very important for healing.

_

ofcourse, whole foods are anytime better! but perhaps in special cases/requirements...also, didn't know about HDL's proportional relation with ghee. thanks for bringing that to light!

back-pain is/can be menacing! from whatever instances of it i have been subject to, i can tell that it gets nastily irksome, and one feels like to somehow rip the pain out from that body-part and throw it away! very sorry to read about your tribulations! i sincerely hope you have recovered, or are on the road to a good recovery! rest everything, is, yes, as you also say, rest!

ofcourse, whole foods are anytime better! but perhaps in special cases/requirements...also, didn't know about HDL's proportional relation with ghee. thanks for bringing that to light!

back-pain is/can be menacing! from whatever instances of it i have been subject to, i can tell that it gets nastily irksome, and one feels like to somehow rip the pain out from that body-part and throw it away! very sorry to read about your tribulations! i sincerely hope you have recovered, or are on the road to a good recovery! rest everything, is, yes, as you also say, rest!
Some more suggestions to improve back.
Sleep on hard floor. Always sit erect. People have a tendency to slouch and sit, hence lot of guys in at desk jobs have back pain issues. I also had chronic pain, but since the time i started sitting straight, it went away.
Yoga asanas like Bhujangasana help a lot.

thanks for that! he has shifted to a semi-hard bed now for sleeping. has been doing bhujangaasan as well since a long time. when he works at home, i have seen him sitting straight for most of the time, but yes, over long periods, one inadvertently tends to slouch a bit to ease the tension. perhaps that should be taken care of. he has now started to get up and take a short round of his office more often than earlier. he's in better condition now (the last time he had undergone such a bout due to his lower back issue, before this episode, was 7 years ago).

thanks a lot everyone! the X-ray scan revealed nothing serious, albeit the doctor explained that the issue is related to growing age, and does happen (the wearing of some disc in the lower extremity of the spinal cord) . he handed over a few sheets of paper with descriptions about various exercises to be done to strengthen the lower back.

good to know that it's nothing serious! :)

What was doctor's take on using hard bed, chair with lumbar support, his strict exercise regimen and other queries you had?

good to know that it's nothing serious! :)

What was doctor's take on using hard bed, chair with lumbar support, his strict exercise regimen and other queries you had?

sorry for the late reply!!
he didn't comment anything special on his routine. just said to continue what he had been doing. but my father has been going a little easy since then.
anyway, the spasm has struck back (it was spasm in the lower back earlier. getting an X-ray exam done was suggested just for a check-up)! not as severe as the last time, but still problematic. am trying to search for a good chiropractic in my city now for the treatment.

Back