Reliance Jio starts charging Retention Charges for Inactive Numbers

I last recharged in May and now recharged yesterday, no such sms. Still will observe if anything like that.
From where do they deduct if we recharge for ultd calls/data plan?

Isn't this something which was common before with operators too? I remember when I was in US, I made sure my vodafone number had adequate balance as Rs. 20 was being deducted every month to keep it active.

Yup, These all practices are part of the Telecom Business and at times profit makers for them. Mota Bhai erased those practices while launching the Jio and now coming back with exactly same practice so Jio remains profitable.

@nRiTeCh The above number has not been used and recharged since 1.5 or 2 years. Thought this number would have been recycled by now. Surprisingly got this mail yesterday.
Pretty sure it had 0 top up balance so don't know if the balance has become negative or not.

Last edited:
I mean it makes sense because they're still providing free incoming when all the other companies want you to keep recharging every 30 days or so with 45-50rs to even have incoming activated in your sim. Jio was providing that for free so far.

Back