PC Peripherals Reliable mouse

gourav

Skilled
Hi folks. I have multiple PCs at home and over the last couple of years, I've gotten tired of buying mice. I have bought like 6 of them and they develop some fault or the other within 6-8 months.

At one point I thought maybe slightly higher priced ones will last longer. So bought Asus MW203 for 1400. 11 months in, the scroll wheel develops a fault.

I have bought logitech, HP, Asus, etc. during this time. I don't know what to get now. I would like something which at least lasts a couple of years. Has to be wireless though.

P. S. Getting mice RMAed is not worth it for me because it costs so much in time and money that it feels like a better option to just get a new one.

Buy Logitech G304, buy spare Kailh GM8.0 switches. When it starts double clicking, replace the switches. G304 with new switches should last much longer.

Sadly planned obsolescence is real & consumers will suffer. I moved from G304 to Viper Mini (scroll click fails) & now back to G304.

Or just buy cheaper mice & just use it as use & throw. Always keep 2 mice to avoid downtime.

I was also pissed at the number of mice I had to buy owing to click or scroll issues..
In February 2022, I purchased a portronics toad 12 a pretty cheap mouse and I wasn't expecting anything from it apart from the fact that it's cheap so I won't mind, but it has performed very very well..a bit clicky for the ears but still working great...
Screenshots_2023-12-17-17-34-33.png
They are pretty cheap, the 12 is out of stock and flipkart is selling the toad 13 now..
Take a look at this Portronics Toad 13, POR 1381 Wireless Optical Mouse on Flipkart

Last edited:
I'm too skeptical of Logitech to spend 5000 on a mouse. The Kalih switches option sounds nice, but it only saves me from double click issue. What if the mouse develops a scroll wheel issue like my current one?

I guess, given other people's experience, buy cheap and replace often is the way to go for mice.

I was also pissed at the number of mice I had to buy owing to click or scroll issues..
In February 2022, I purchased a portronics toad 12 a pretty cheap mouse and I wasn't expecting anything from it apart from the fact that it's cheap so I won't mind, but it has performed very very well..a bit clicky for the ears but still working great...
View attachment 185629
They are pretty cheap, the 12 is out of stock and flipkart is selling the toad 13 now..
Take a look at this Portronics Toad 13, POR 1381 Wireless Optical Mouse on Flipkart
in past I also used, some Rs.250/- wireless mouse and found it was good but can't bare click sound and constant RED LIGHT peeping out of upper side of click flaps and from bottom part of mouse so helplessly again turn to Logitech for (silent click & invisible green led light)

I'm too skeptical of Logitech to spend 5000 on a mouse. The Kalih switches option sounds nice, but it only saves me from double click issue. What if the mouse develops a scroll wheel issue like my current one?

I guess, given other people's experience, buy cheap and replace often is the way to go for mice.
My old G304 after lying unused outside for almost 2 years (i stopped using it when it developed double click issue & shifted to Viper Mini) did develop scroll issue when I picked it up for repair. But using iso-propyl alcohol on scroll wheel fixed the issue, did it when I was replacing the switch.

Honestly, if you don't want a big mouse nor play games, just use those ₹600 wireless mice as use & throw.

Anything with mechanical parts will have a limited life. Mechanical parts wear and tear, some faster than others.

You probably already have good/expensive mice just double clicking cough Logitech cough. Just buy better quality switches and get the switches changed from a local repair shop.

Have you tried Logitech's M100 or B100 ? B100 lasted for 2 years without any issue... personal experience. They are budget friendly and can be used roughly.

in past I also used, some Rs.250/- wireless mouse and found it was good but can't bare click sound and constant RED LIGHT peeping out of upper side of click flaps and from bottom part of mouse so helplessly again turn to Logitech for (silent click & invisible green led light)
I have got used to the click just like one gets used to the mechanical keyboards especially the red ones...
There is no light whatsoever.. Pretty nifty..
I must say I hava r logoyecech 535 as well bought around the same time and another expensive one that a friend gave(dont remember the brand as I never used it), but I like using the toad..
Before that with in 3 or 4 months I had to go for replacements and later all the service centers moved to more than 25 km away so it became a no brainer to rather use cheaper ones and keep changing... But toad is helpful till now

I have got used to the click just like one gets used to the mechanical keyboards especially the red ones...
There is no light whatsoever.. Pretty nifty..
I must say I hava r logoyecech 535 as well bought around the same time and another expensive one that a friend gave(dont remember the brand as I never used it), but I like using the toad..
Before that with in 3 or 4 months I had to go for replacements and later all the service centers moved to more than 25 km away so it became a no brainer to rather use cheaper ones and keep changing... But toad is helpful till now
are you sure about light, I mean NO LIGHT peep out from any upper body part of this [Portronics Toad 13, POR 1381 Wireless Optical] mouse? also the light at base for tracking, is it, blink or keep on constantly or invisible like Logitech Mouse?

I just can't bare constant RED LIGHT or blink from time to time or peep out from bottom of mouse as soon as you lift it up or more around.

Last edited:
If anyone wants to buy a reliable mouse, just look at what the majority of the e-sports players are using. A e-sport player won't change his mouse very often, which means the mouse they picked initially worked really well for them. They already did the research for you. Yes they come under category of "Gaming mouse" but are perfectly fine for normal use.

I bought Zowie EC1-A back in 2016 worked great for 6 years. I used it very roughly.

I'll definitely try IPA on the scroll wheel before throwing this one out

Maybe this is a sign of my age, but back in the day with ball mice, they needed to be disassembled and cleaned every few weeks. Anything you physically interact with needs some kind of cleaning & maintenance.

I'm too skeptical of Logitech to spend 5000 on a mouse.

Something I read back when I was an impressionable teenager is that the most important parts of a computer are the ones you interact physically interact with — the monitor, input devices, computer table and chair. I've spent more time at my computer than I have doing any other activity in my life, including sleep and studies. So I've been conditioned to be very particular about these things, to the point where I chose a cheaper processor in order to squeeze in a better keyboard & mouse in the budget.

But the first time I spent that much on a mouse, it was not an easy decision. That was back in 2013 with the M700s (my first laser mouse). It lasted three years before double clicking. I replaced it with a G402 which lasted two years before double clicking. I replaced that with a MX 2S which lasted five years before double clicking — I replaced that last week with another MX 2S. So over the years, mouse ownership has costed me about Rs 1000/year, which has been agreeable with my financial situation.

constant RED LIGHT peeping out of upper side of click flaps and from bottom part of mouse

That's the one thing I miss not having anymore. :(

I have a cheap red optical mouse that I use when I'm doing software updates around the house just to relive that nostalgic years of Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical.

are you sure about light, I mean NO LIGHT peep out from any upper body part of this [Portronics Toad 13, POR 1381 Wireless Optical] mouse? also the light at base for tracking, is it, blink or keep on constantly or invisible like Logitech Mouse?
Just made a video for you, in dark as well as in light.. The blue or orange tinge are from the monitor screen and cpu cooler through transparent side panel of the cabinet.
20231218_154105.mp4 - 51.7 MB

The mouse has no light, no switch, it goes to sleep after may be 2 min of inactivity and once you click it, it comes back to life..

I didnt know where to upload the video, had to search a lot to upload to this host.. Hope you are able to download

Last edited:
Maybe this is a sign of my age, but back in the day with ball mice, they needed to be disassembled and cleaned every few weeks. Anything you physically interact with needs some kind of cleaning & maintenance.
That's my experience even today. My Logitech pebble scroll wheel was dead, took the mouse apart, then the rotary encoder, cleaned the contacts inside with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swab, works without issues. Fixed my Corsair harpoon double clicking by soldering new aftermarket switches (sunrom has them for really cheap, 10rs iirc). However, not everyone can do these kind of repair jobs.

The transition from no mouse to ball mouse to optical to laser has been exciting. We are lucky that we got to experience that transition from bulky desktops to what it is today. Not much change in form factor anyways in last decade or two. My first work laptop does not look that much different compared to what I use today. I think it will take another decade to go to no mouse.

Coming back to topic, I never had any double click issues with any mouse I had. And I use each one for more than 5 years.

Back