Regarding Airtel Broadband

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Hi,
I have an airtel connection, and my friend recently shifted to my apartment, and we want to share the internet. Since i was the only person in the flat before, i had opted for the wired connection, and the modem provided has only one Ethernet port, Well now i wanna go for wireless so that it can be shared. I called up the customer care and they are asking 1000/- for the new wireless router. So my question is:

Can i buy a router like linksys/buffalo for almost the same amount and use it? or should it be provided by airtel itself. Advantage of buying it myself is that i can get a better router for the same amount instead of the SemIndia ones provided by them.

Regards

bottle

Caffeine Addict
Staff member
Super Mod
Jan 27, 2005
Chennai
Isn't the wifi router free with certain plans ? Check if you can migrate to one of those

or else call them and say you are a long time and loyal customer and ask them to give it free

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
Depends how much you use it. If its on 24x7x365 then go with theirs as it will die shortly after a year. If you buy your own, it will die slightly later. So there is no difference here unless you need features that are not present in theirs.

But if your use is not all the time then you get a better deal with buying your own router.

blr_p

Skilled
Apr 11, 2007
You can use any wireless router you want, question is whether to get it from them or not. As i said these products don't last forever so if its on all the time then it makes no difference where you get it from, otherwise if your usage is less, few hrs a day say then you're better off getting your own.

Regarding better, how far away will you be seated from it and what kind of data will be transferred? What generation are the wireless cards used ? If its just web stuff or text then it matters less than if its video or audio being streamed across.

More expensive ones have stronger transmitters so there is less packet loss in wireless mode. This however depends on how many walls of reinforced concrete the signal needs to penentrate.

countrock

Adept
Mar 16, 2007
Actually the Airtel Wifi router used to be only 500 bucks extra. Its 1000 bucks when you get a new connection. It may have changed now, so not sure. Try going to the local Airtel office and ask them.

Actually the Airtel router is not bad, works well, does not hang and they replace it if it dies on you.

udayrulz

Adept
Jan 13, 2008
London
Yes , it is Rs 1000 extra .. you can opt for a 3rd party router which should cost you around 1 - 1.5k but then you ll have two devices (ADSL+WiFi) .. Airtel's router has both ADSL + WiFi so only one device ;)

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Alright, the thing is i'm not a big fan of the sem-india router provided by them, so was wondering if i could use a 3rd party one...

anfjavid

Skilled
Dec 16, 2006
Get a BB wi-fi router if you arent satisfied with theirs. Some of the familiar/best ones are Netgear, D-link, Linksys, Buffalo, etc. I dont think there is much difference between these brands as far as speed/signal is concerned.

But one advantage if you buy their's is, they will replace it whenever it gets conked off and you will get replacement till you cease to be a customer under them.

But if the router provided by them isnt going to serve the purpose well, i.e., slow/frequent connection drops/ no proper signal, etc., then in these cases its better to opt for a 3rd party router.

Check with someone who has a good idea about the AIRTEL provided WIFI router and decide... The amount of Rs.1000 which they charge is not the price of the router. Its just a non-refundable deposit. So you have to return it back to them upon discontinuance of service..

Hope its clear ..

anfjavid

Skilled
Dec 16, 2006
thetoxicmind said:
I have the Beetel 450 TC1 Wi-Fi Router and have no complaints, whatsoever. (TW)

Had to write Airtel a cheque for 1.5K, one-time payment.

Its 1000 or 1500 ?. Does it vary from state to state ?

nj_gamer

Adept
Jul 9, 2006
Now these guys are asking for 1.5k, telling lame reasons that i have to get a new landline + instrument and stuff like that... i guess i'm better off buying a seperate Wi-FI router for the same amount or less....