Recommend me an Air Conditioner

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
Hi guys, I need suggestions for an AC.

Specs:
  • Room dimensions: 10.8 ft (width) * 22.4 ft (length) * 11ft (height)
  • Temperatures: In day time it will be 42-43C and during nights will be 32-33C. In day time I may use for 1-2 hours and set the temps to 29-30C. And in nights, temps will be 26-27C.
  • Only one south facing wall is uncovered.
  • Room has no glass windows.
  • 60% of the room has a room above it and other 40% has a shed. So I guess its covered and no direct sunlights hits the roof.
  • Number people - 2
  • Other details: At the center of room, there is an arch (like this) of width/thickness 2.3ft and it covers about 4-5ft from top.
Usage: Mostly in summers, daily max 10 hours.
Budget: Upto 40K. Will buy by end of April.

Per unit charges for me is 5.6rs, so for my usage I guess inverter doesn't make sense. Am I wrong?

Its not a metro city, so how do I find out about after sales service? I asked couple of people around and everyone seems to have different brands of AC and different experience.

Last edited:

prabs

Skilled
Jul 24, 2006
It's hard to comment on after sales service as it depends from location to location. It is best to go to a local AC repair shop and ask them as they generally have a good idea about such stuff. Asking the guy at showroom is a waste as they will big up brands that he wants to sell and criticize that's not his in his target.

rdst_1

Skilled
May 10, 2009
daikin le le avi, its the best... stay away from samsung / lg -
+1. Though I was happy with the cooling of my Samsung AC, one of it's boards conked off in just 2 years. And Auto mode had stopped working properly by the end of the third year. I worked around it by keeping the temperature set at 25 in Cold mode. Setting Auto mode used to result in ice formation and I wasn't ready to spend another 3k for the same board whose life clearly seemed to be 1-2 yrs. Meanwhile my windows Hitachi was still going strong after 15yrs. Unfortunately, it seems that quality has dropped across all brands during the last 20yrs. Thankfully, I won't be needing to use an AC from now on.

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
daikin le le avi, its the best... stay away from samsung / lg -
+1. Though I was happy with the cooling of my Samsung AC, one of it's boards conked off in just 2 years. And Auto mode had stopped working properly by the end of the third year. I worked around it by keeping the temperature set at 25 in Cold mode. Setting Auto mode used to result in ice formation and I wasn't ready to spend another 3k for the same board whose life clearly seemed to be 1-2 yrs. Meanwhile my windows Hitachi was still going strong after 15yrs. Unfortunately, it seems that quality has dropped across all brands during the last 20yrs. Thankfully, I won't be needing to use an AC from now on.
Thanks guys, I will check about Daikin service in my area.

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
Thankfully, I won't be needing to use an AC from now on.
Wow why not? :D

It is best to go to a local AC repair shop and ask them as they generally have a good idea about such stuff.
Maybe. But they love old wives tales, for eg. a lot of them insist that aluminium coils have a short life of 1 year and copper is the way to go.

singenaadam

Skilled
Jun 24, 2007
Aluminum vs Copper: it is not question of life but, repair. Copper coils can be repaired by brazing. That is not possible in Aluminum coils.

@avi :
[1] in your case, inverter is a waste of money.
[2] cost diff is primarily due to materials used. More expensive models use copper coils, thicker panel sheets etc. They are heavier - both literally and on the pocket.
[3] Energy consumption: go to the BEE website. It is a govt website that gives a decent idea of the bill.

toxicdrift

Adept
Jul 13, 2007
Mumbai
inverter basically throttles the compressor so that it runs at variable speed while maintaining the temp.. where as a normal a/c runs at full or slow speed when the desired temp its reached it cuts off..then switches on and off to main the temp.. but older a/c used to draw much more power .. once we shifted to daikin three star models .. bills have come down in regular use so you dont really need a inverter.. its only needed if you are using 15 hrs plus to honestly show a major diff in bills... any good 3 to 5 star non inverter model will do just fine for home use..

Reactions: mh09ad5578 and avi

manishbharech

Disciple
Sep 9, 2013
Basic difference between an inverter Ac and normal one is that an inverter Ac has variable speed compressor while a normal one shuts off the compressor when desired temp is reached and restarts when the temp rises again. Since restarting a stopped compressor requires more energy this leads to higher power consumption while an inverter compressor variates it's speed according to temp reported by thermostat. Hope this helps

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
inverter basically throttles the compressor so that it runs at variable speed while maintaining the temp.. where as a normal a/c runs at full or slow speed when the desired temp its reached it cuts off..then switches on and off to main the temp.. but older a/c used to draw much more power .. once we shifted to daikin three star models .. bills have come down in regular use so you dont really need a inverter.. its only needed if you are using 15 hrs plus to honestly show a major diff in bills... any good 3 to 5 star non inverter model will do just fine for home use..
Basic difference between an inverter Ac and normal one is that an inverter Ac has variable speed compressor while a normal one shuts off the compressor when desired temp is reached and restarts when the temp rises again. Since restarting a stopped compressor requires more energy this leads to higher power consumption while an inverter compressor variates it's speed according to temp reported by thermostat. Hope this helps
Thanks guys, but any numbers? Even approx would do

@toxicdrift couldn't get more details of service of Daikin in my area. Will get that soon

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
for a 4 X 4.5 sq mt which is roughly 195 sq ft you can definitely go in either for a 1.5T inverter AC or 2T regular AC. It all depends on how much you use the AC because if you use it for a limited time then the cost savings do not justify the initial investment needed for inverter AC's. Lets take an example. Major AC players claim that there is a 30% power saving by installing inverter AC's. Now check your electric bills during summer and other months. Say for example during winters your monthly bill is around Rs. 1000 and during summers its around Rs. 3000 then you can assume that the AC part would be appx extra Rs. 1000-1200 (because you would also be using ceiling fans / refrigerator runs for extra hours, etc.) Now at 30% savings it is around 300 saved during summer months. Now say if you run the AC for around 5 months in a year - the appx savings per year are just Rs. 1500-2000. Extra investment needed by inverter ACs range from 10-20k extra compared to non inverter based ACs. Hence, considering if you put that money in the bank at 9% interest - you can run your non inverter based AC for free from the interest itself :). The scenario completely changes if you run your AC for longer hours - then definitely yes, inverter ACs save a lot of money and you can recover your investment faster.

In short count the number of hours you run your AC - say if its 4 hours a day then 4 X 1500 w (for 1.5t / around 1800-2000w for 2 T) so its 6000. i.e 6 units per day - cost of electricity say if its 6 then 6*6 = Rs 36 per day. Say you run for 5 months so Rs. 5400. If we take the claim of invert ACs that they save 30% power so max savings would be Rs. 1500 / 5 months.

https://www.techenclave.com/communi...mv-ac-discontinued.141110/page-2#post-1791300

Reactions: mh09ad5578

rdst_1

Skilled
May 10, 2009
for a 4 X 4.5 sq mt which is roughly 195 sq ft you can definitely go in either for a 1.5T inverter AC or 2T regular AC. It all depends on how much you use the AC because if you use it for a limited time then the cost savings do not justify the initial investment needed for inverter AC's.
https://www.techenclave.com/communi...mv-ac-discontinued.141110/page-2#post-1791300
When I had last researched about ACs an year or so ago, I had reached to the same conclusion. In fact going for a higher capacity AC works much better than going for an inverter.

toxicdrift

Adept
Jul 13, 2007
Mumbai
less load on the compressor to cool the room, works more efficiently avi ... its like going up the mountain in a maruti 800 vs going in a xuv 500 ...... the 800 engine will scream like its about to blow... lol both of them will make it up.. just that the xuv will be quicker. and also the xuv will be able to drive at 120 with less stress then a maruti 800

Reactions: mh09ad5578

Criminal

Adept
Jun 6, 2013
if you buy an AC with slightly larger capacity than required:

- your AC will cool the same room much faster, with less stress
- it may increase comfort level as the AC will now take less time to reach the set temperature after each cut-off. but it still can't beat the inverters in this matter.
- you take care of any future needs. extra person or heat source in the room.
- more flexibility. larger capacity ACs can be shifted to other rooms easily. you'll have to do lots of calculations for the smaller capacity ACs.
- you may get extra features in larger models

avi

Skilled
Nov 23, 2010
if you buy an AC with slightly larger capacity than required:

- your AC will cool the same room much faster, with less stress
- it may increase comfort level as the AC will now take less time to reach the set temperature after each cut-off. but it still can't beat the inverters in this matter.
- you take care of any future needs. extra person or heat source in the room.
- more flexibility. larger capacity ACs can be shifted to other rooms easily. you'll have to do lots of calculations for the smaller capacity ACs.
- you may get extra features in larger models
Well tonnage I was recommend is 1.5.

And also recommended that not to buy larger capacity than required if buying non-inverter AC cos bills will be higher.

less load on the compressor to cool the room, works more efficiently avi ... its like going up the mountain in a maruti 800 vs going in a xuv 500 ...... the 800 engine will scream like its about to blow... lol both of them will make it up.. just that the xuv will be quicker. and also the xuv will be able to drive at 120 with less stress then a maruti 800
Actually he meant higher capacity non-inverter is better than inverter.