Recommend Laptop for 1100 SGD

Saiyan

The L33t Admeen
Skilled
Looking to buy a Laptop in Singapore next week. Require recommendation for the same.
  • What's your Budget? SGD 1100
  • What will be your primary usage for the notebook be? Heavy browsing, casual gaming, general college purpose.
  • What size and weight considerations do you have? 14" preferred, 15" is also ok. Shouldn't be too heavy.
  • Any brand that you prefer, or any brand that you detest? Would prefer to stay from Dell and HP.
  • Any other considerations? Would prefer a GPU like GT540. I5 minimum. High resolution LCD would be a bonus but not really fussy.

You can get a general idea of the models here

http://www.netbooks....featured&page=1

and here http://www.hardwarez...iceLists#pl-417

If GPU (in range of 540M) is something you can't do with, then there won't be much options. Most of them of either HP or Asus.

^yeah sucky site
<
There was one other shop which displayed lots of models, but apparently taken down from hardwarezone.

Or you guys recommend some models based on Indian value of 40k~44k. I'll go there and check. Not really worried about international warranty either.

Find this if you can. This is like alienware's son in 14" category
<

PS: Asus provides int warranty also, plus even extension.

how are the laptops from Acer ? Timeline X models. Supra was recommending it to me sometime back.

#[member='Saiyan'] Battery is fixed in timeline models, you can't replace it by yourself, though the back up is very good. But its costly IMO.

^ Yeah just wanted to go there with some particular models in my mind. Funan eh, will do. What about sim lim tower ?

^yeah very yummy
<
nothing in my budget there unless you sponsor me
<

ohyeah, looking for a msata SSD also
<
just to use it as a boot drive n stuff.

. Funan eh, will do. What about sim lim tower ?

Funan is government regulated with fixed prices.Sim Lim is a tad shadier - seems to have better pricing but be careful of getting ripped off.There are a multitude of horror stories regarding the shops on the lower 2 stories of Sim Lim overcharging tourists unto 400 % and delivering outdated/fake products ( google Sim Lim Singapore for the same).A favorite scam is apparently offering to update software on the product and then adding on 'n' Sing$ for the 'service'!

If you do come to Singapore,check out The Adelphi Mall opposite Funan - one of the stores has a good collection of headphones for demo.I picked up my Beyerdynamic from them.Do bargain,though.

Well just look for deals and bargain mainly for freebies.... Browse thru and find the best deal

Weird advice

Try to dress in 3/4 pants, tshirt and flipflops
<
you would look like a local then (dont hang a big SLR though)

You can try Mustafa too direct GST refund in the shop.... I saw some good mac deals there once...

If you are a tourist then do claim you GST refund ... When you buy ask for a receipt to get a GST refund and buy from retailers participating in the Tourist Refund Scheme... now the flip flop part to to just bargain for the deal
<

^hehe thanks, yeah i can pull off that local like stuff
<
Just need to have shortlist couple of models before going there.

1. Acer Timeline X AS3830TG (13.3") ~999 SGD

2. Lenovo Z470 i5+GT540 ~999 SGD

3. Acer Timeline U M3 15" (200 SGD over my budget, but comes with GT640)

Back