Recommend Air Conditioner - 2011 Thread

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
linuxtechie said:
@Sarang

The panasonic ac's didn't talk about stabilizers (inbuilt). So that way the cost is going to go north by 3k right?
@Kuantum 5A is constantly consumed? Even though the compressor is not running? Ain't that too high?

+LT
Hmm, did not take that into account, my bad. Had seen the same unit installed at a friend's place who also happens to own a General (Both Split). The Panasonic one seemed to be doing a nice job and was actually quicker to cool than the General. This was confirmed by the friend as well. He attributed it to the Panasonic being brand new and the General a veteran of 4 years.

This to confirm (now with some sourness after learning about the stabilizer bit :mad:) that I've purchased the ACs and they are lying around awaiting an installation tomorrow morning. :)

TheIndian

Skilled
Sep 19, 2007
Mumbai
sarang said:
I have a room occupied by my mom and my kid which I intend to cool. Size 12x10x10 next to another one (master bed) separated by 4 feet passage the master bed is a little crazy design with 16x12x10 with a 10x10 Glass window. Initially i was only planning to use AC for the parents' room but this particular post of yours got me curious. How can this be done?

The parents' room has only a 5x4 window and only one of walls is "exposed". The master bed on the other hand has two walls exposed and one of them (the worst hit waste facing wall) is the one with massive window.

I am assuming I'm gonna need a 1.5 for the master bed and a 1 Tonne or less for the parents' room. Usage for the parents' room is mostly round the clock for 3-4 months in summer and sporadically otherwise.

The master bed is also occupies a small section where I work. I telecommute a lot and hence will need cooling for the better part of summer rest of the year though me and wife both do not appreciate ACs much.

Thanks in advance.

Cooling more then one room with one compressor unit, is called multi split and its easily done with inverter out door units. But the cost of Inverter units is so high that this options makes sense only if you are an AC addict and use the AC 365 days of the year, which offsets the high capital cost with lower running cost.. .With one Outdoor unit, you can have upto 4-5 indoor units.

The Out door Units normally have an operating range of 15-120 % . i.e. a 2 ton unit will operate from .3 to 2.40 Tons and the Indoor units for this will be upto a max total of 4.5-5.0 Tons with the max for 1 unit being 1.5 Tons . I had got an offer a while back for ~2.00 for an outdoor of 2.5 with 4 (or was it 5) indoor units. These are more suited to "luxury" homes where AC is "ALWAYS ON" - This comination can also be 1 outdoor 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 Indoors

For sporadic and limited use it does not make sense to install such a system,

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Kuantum said:
I got the Panasonic Inverter Silver installed yesterday. Installation is free by Panasonic Brand Shop. The AC comes with 13ft copper pipe and insulation. Any extra length beyond 13th is chargeable. Stand needs to be bought too. Required to purchase additional wiring and drain pipe. Installation was for 140 sq ft room. Only one side of the room wall is exposed to the sun.

CS-PS18MKY | econ Inverter - Silver | Single Split Air Conditioner | Air Conditioner | Home Appliances | Products | Panasonic

After switching on measured the current with handheld clamp meter (waited for compressor to switch on also). Showed 8.5A. As suggested by panasonic website the running current is 6.9A. No efficiency ratings mentioned.

When the room temperature settles down to predefined settings the current drops to around 5A. I measured it at regular intervals but did not see any further drop. still investigating though. That means power consumption varies between 1100W to 2000W approximately.

The compressor is awfully quiet. Its more silent than the indoor unit. In fact the air blowing out of the indoor unit makes more noise in comparison. Cooling is fast. 5 fan settings with auto function. 5 vertical air direction blower settings. Temperature maintenance is not efficient as it should be. But i guess this is present in all AC.

kept remote settings at 24. Felt like temperature dropping to 22 and then climbing to 26 before the compressor switches on again and starts cooling.

I think the AC is overkill for my room at present. I could've gotten away with 1 Ton but real summers are yet to begin so waiting for the real test.

Did not test the economy mode yet. Don't know if this mode further saves any more power in the long run.
22-26 is a huge variation, inverters maintain Temp +/- 1 and the compressor NEVER switches off - it runs continuously. So check your compressor switching on and off as mentioned by you.. That 22-26 variation, even a cheap window Videocon will do better then that, so recheck that too.

yes 1.5 Tons is WAY over kill -

Samm003 said:
I need a 1.5 ton window ac.
My budget is around 17-20k.
which would be the best ac (brand and model) near this price bracket?

Have you shopped around ? what are the options available?

Kuantum

Adept
Nov 12, 2006
Nagpur
TheIndian said:
22-26 is a huge variation, inverters maintain Temp +/- 1 and the compressor NEVER switches off - it runs continuously. So check your compressor switching on and off as mentioned by you.. That 22-26 variation, even a cheap window Videocon will do better then that, so recheck that too.

yes 1.5 Tons is WAY over kill

I meant "feel' of the temperature. When cold air blows over a person it creates a wind chill effect. Air maybe at 24 but feels like 22 or less. When the blower starts to throw non cooled air it feels as if the higher side of the temperature is reached since you're already recovering from wind chill

People reported cheap 1T AC as being sold off as 1.5T. (Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ? - Page 98 - Team-BHP)

Since no independent confirmation on this issue can't really comment on it but found it worth mentioning.

Agreed 1.5T is an overkill at present. As I said proper summer ain't here yet.

@Sarang consider this http://www.hitachi-hli.com/atomSquare.html

linuxtechie

ex-Mod
Aug 9, 2007
www.linuxtechie.net
TheIndian said:

yes 1.5 Tons is WAY over kill -

So you mean to say the compressor is continuously running? Unlike in Freeze, Car?

+LT

sarang

Skilled
Dec 22, 2005
@TheIndian @Kuantum: Thanks folks. I had already got the ACs by the time I wrote the last post. Got both installed today. For a 1.5 tonner this one is pretty silent. (Cant compare it to the Daikins i've heard or rather "not" heard while they were running) but is still pretty silent for my needs.

TheIndian

Skilled
Sep 19, 2007
Mumbai
linuxtechie said:
So you mean to say the compressor is continuously running? Unlike in Freeze, Car?

+LT
Say again , Didnt quite get what you are asking ?

Kuantum said:
I meant "feel' of the temperature. When cold air blows over a person it creates a wind chill effect. Air maybe at 24 but feels like 22 or less. When the blower starts to throw non cooled air it feels as if the higher side of the temperature is reached since you're already recovering from wind chill

People reported cheap 1T AC as being sold off as 1.5T. (Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ? - Page 98 - Team-BHP)

Since no independent confirmation on this issue can't really comment on it but found it worth mentioning.

Agreed 1.5T is an overkill at present. As I said proper summer ain't here yet.

@Sarang consider this Atom Square : Hitachi Home & Life Solutions (India) Ltd.

I doubt any branded company would palm off a 1 ton as a 1.5 tonner, maybe the assembled guys but that is it.

That Atom set up is a definite no no - you want 2 or more inners with 1 outer, the only way to go is with an inverter unit, anything else - well might as well donate your money.

linuxtechie

ex-Mod
Aug 9, 2007
www.linuxtechie.net
Let me rephrase, in car or freeze, the compressor starts up, cools down the subject and then shuts off. This cycle keep on repeating. Isn't it the same of AC's as well?

+LT

TheIndian said:
Say again , Didnt quite get what you are asking ?

I doubt any branded company would palm off a 1 ton as a 1.5 tonner, maybe the assembled guys but that is it.

That Atom set up is a definite no no - you want more than 2 or more inners with 1 outer, the only way to go is with an inverter unit, anything else - well might as well donate your money.

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
I need 3x 1 tonne ACs for my 3 bedrooms. One of them will be used daily. The other two will find very occassional use. I'm thinking of getting a high end 5 star inverter for the main bedroom and two ultra cheapos.

Any recommendations? I don't mind window ACs for the cheapies but will prefer splits.

linuxtechie

ex-Mod
Aug 9, 2007
www.linuxtechie.net
Chaos said:
I need 3x 1 tonne ACs for my 3 bedrooms. One of them will be used daily. The other two will find very occassional use. I'm thinking of getting a high end 5 star inverter for the main bedroom and two ultra cheapos.

Any recommendations? I don't mind window ACs for the cheapies but will prefer splits.
Usage? Just for summer/ yearlong? How many hours?

+LT

Chaos

Skilled
Jan 29, 2005
Its mostly for summers. One of them will be on atleast 12 hours a day. The other ones will be on occasionally when parents come to visit or when I listen to music.

linuxtechie

ex-Mod
Aug 9, 2007
www.linuxtechie.net
Chaos said:
Its mostly for summers. One of them will be on atleast 12 hours a day. The other ones will be on occasionally when parents come to visit or when I listen to music.

Well in that case, the inverter ac would be overkill for you, ofcourse if you wish to spend the mullah, you can go ahead. I would suggest with any of Samsung/LG/Panasonic to go through. AS185BGC from Samsung and LSW5KP5S from LG are pretty recent. So is CS-KC18MKY from Panasonic. However these are 1.5 ton models. If you aren't going to use for more than summers then I would suggest to stick away from Daichi and such high variants. Your call though. Your money :)

+LT

TheIndian

Skilled
Sep 19, 2007
Mumbai
linuxtechie said:
Let me rephrase, in car or freeze, the compressor starts up, cools down the subject and then shuts off. This cycle keep on repeating. Isn't it the same of AC's as well?

+LT
An Inverter compressor never shuts off, it just slows down or speeds up - They generally have a working range of 20% to 120% - some go as low as 15% too - which means, a 2 tons unit would operate as 0.4 tons to 2.40 Tons. There for if you had only one inner running of a multi split (say 1 ton) - it would fun at full capacity and when the desired temp was attained, the comp would slow down to 0.50 tons and hum away just maintaining the temp - or even 0.4 and in some cases 0.3 tons - there is no on off cycle -

Chaos said:

See if a 1.5T inverter with 3 inners makes sense

Spy king

Adept
Oct 16, 2005
Doing a bit of research need some help!

My bedroom is about 12X16 ft, with the old Madras high ceiling (14 ft). I am looking for an Ac (split/window) that will be used only during the nights for the summer months (3 months)

There is only one window, about 8X4 ft and walls on the room are 3 feet thick (not kidding!) so what kind of ac should I go for?

Also, additionally, there is my study area, that is on a mezzanine level, and is about 10X10X14ft is there anyway I can use the same outdoor, even if it's not inverter tech, as I won't be using both simultaneously, and the study will be used for only couple of hours in the afternoon in the summer.

Thanks!

Apr 28, 2009
Brampton
Need advice on which Air conditioning unit to purchase. I have two very old (>5 years old) window AC's which consume a hell a lot of energy ( My bi-weekly electricity bill reaches 16k in June-July) which I'm looking to replace.

Im not too sure whether to go for split or window, if there isn't much of a price difference b/w the two and a split AC is better then I might go for it. No specific budget as such (Although should not exceed 20k) but the lesser the better.

Also, main requirement is that they should save power, also in the summer months it will be used for ~16-18 hours a day.

Kaleen Bhaiya

Skilled
Nov 15, 2009
Mephistopheles said:
Need advice on which Air conditioning unit to purchase. I have two very old (>5 years old) window AC's which consume a hell a lot of energy ( My bi-weekly electricity bill reaches 16k in June-July) which I'm looking to replace.
Im not too sure whether to go for split or window, if there isn't much of a price difference b/w the two and a split AC is better then I might go for it. No specific budget as such (Although should not exceed 20k) but the lesser the better.
Also, main requirement is that they should save power, also in the summer months it will be used for ~16-18 hours a day.
if power is the main criteria with conditioning, then i guess you would need to shell out more money than 20k. The 5 star rating ac's are heavy on pockets, but Mind you they do save lot of money especially if you tend to use it for longer duration.
The price diff between window and split would be visible if you go for ac's with 5 star(there aint any window ac >3star), but if you are happy with average performance, average savings then it would be wise to go for split ac's.
I cant comment on the avg's performance ac's since i dont have any but i have hitachi Follow me model and it speaks for itself. Being a 5 star model and running it 13 hrs a day, my bill comes to around 800 bucks.

Apr 28, 2009
Brampton
me model and it speaks for itself. Being a 5 star model and running it 13 hrs a day, my bill comes to around 800 bucks.

800 bucks! Thats it? Mine can go to 8k/month (With Two AC units with one running ~17-18 hours and the other around ~10 hours)

So how much would a 5 star window AC cost me (atleast 1 ton)? Also let me know about ACs with 4 star rating and which brand/model to go for?

wr8_utd

Adept
Oct 21, 2009
linuxtechie said:
Ahh well. Answer following:
  1. Usage? Just summer or around the year?
  2. Budget?
Hmm. Usage would be maximum in the summer and a bit around the year as well.
Budget. Around 20-24k tops?