RCom in pact with IT firms to offer free laptops to customers

Anil Ambani-promoted Reliance Communications has entered into a strategic alliance with IT giants Acer, Asus, HCL, Intel and Lenovo to offer free laptops with internet connectivity to customers.

The scheme will enable customers to get free laptops powered by Intel's "Atom" with high-speed internet data card service of Reliance, RCom's president, Mahesh Prasad said on Tuesday.

"The growth of internet services in India is one of the key visions of Reliance Communications. The next phase of growth of internet penetration in the country is linked to the growth in PC and Laptop penetration," Prasad said.

Customers can avail the package with monthly installment as low as Rs 1,500 per month for two years, Prasad said.

A part of the Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group, Rcom is India's leading wireless internet service provider with over 10 lakh customers and access to 20,000 towns and 4.5 lakh villages in the country, the company said. The group has a networth of above Rs 58,000 crore.

Source : RCom in pact with IT firms to offer free laptops to customers-India Business-Business-The Times of India

:D

The price is for an unlimited internet connection using a datacard, and you pay 1500 or 2500 a month. The lower price is for a netbook (Aspire One) and the higher ones for laptops.

It's basically a bundle offer.

well i just hope the net speed is 256kbps or is upgradeable to 256kbps at an addition cost

as it is am paying 1100 bux for my stupid tata 384Kbps connection, wudnt hurt to get this and get a free netbook along hehe

Rave said:
well i just hope the net speed is 256kbps or is upgradeable to 256kbps at an addition cost

as it is am paying 1100 bux for my stupid tata 384Kbps connection, wudnt hurt to get this and get a free netbook along hehe

AFAIK, CDMA networks/data cards are pretty much limited to <150kbps best effort speeds :p

@sangram: Any direct links to Rcom site with details of the offer?

We haven't started the campaigns yet, so once the landing pages are up I'll put up a link. As of now I guess the offer is available at street level. I'm on leave till Monday, once I'm back I'll get up to speed with how the rollout is happening.

And, speeds are 115kbps only. bits, not bytes. So you're essentially looking at ~4 kb/s download speed.

It's still good enough for browsing most sites. I was in Mahabaleshwar on holiday and still able to catch up with TE, work and my friends using the NetConnect card. It was my lifesaver. Not good enough to download stuff though - I couldn't get some 1MB PDFs I needed.

Back